Giant Vs Hercules

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by kraven, Jun 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Sorry if this has been done before, in fact im sure it has but I couldnt find it. So delete it if you must. If not, here we go.

Vague or detailed, whatever your opinion is I want to hear it. For me, Maketoys Green Giant wins by a landslide. It just looks so bad-ass! It screams ultimate G1 Devastator. Indavidual bot modes, not as much, but still cool. Yes its a little smaller than Herc. but damn, I say quality over quantity (or size in this case). Herc. looks pretty good, almost too big though and definitely not enough detail whatsoever. And for some reason looks a little goofy in some pics. Anyway lets hear it from you guys. What do you think?

.... aaaand GO!

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This thread could get really ugly really fast. Let's be civil about this guys.

They both have their merits and both look downright amazing. We're lucky to have two very different interpretations of devestator in the first place. That we can choose which one suits our fancy or even both if you have the money is quite a treat for the fandom.

That said I do have a preference and Giant it is for me. While I love the size and bulk of Herc, along with the arm tread transformation, and some of the playablity of vehicles modes I cannot justify it's price tag when I dislike a good few of designs of the robot modes. They're boxy, G1-esque, and simple. Not that those are bad things at all, but not what I am looking for. They remind me of A/E/C with their chunk and angles, like how the feet lack heel articulation and suffer from sideways foot. I didn't prefer the kibble such as crank's massive crane or not Mixmaster's barrel guns. Substandard articulation in combined mode also soured it for me. The kibble integration in vehicle/alt mode was also questionable when it came to the hands.

For Giant, I like the sleek, more dynamic robot modes, or at least the majority of them. I can swallow the pricetag at about $60 per figure. Though they are smaller, the extra paint and my preference of the G2 color of yellow makes these guys feel a bit more real world. These guys fit in better with FP's Colossus upgrades, and any other Maketoys/Fansproject combiners that will come out (though the TFC Superion might click with me for scale reasons since he's made out of freaking jets). They also compact and expand pretty well when transforming. Though the vehicles aren't as playable as I liked on the TFC Herc, I find that even with some of the sacrifices and design choices don't hamper my enjoyment of the figure. The arm connectors on excavator and bulldozer are manageable if you tuck them in the torso gaps, for example. Overall they have the extra range of motion and articulation I expect out of a toy at this price (except for Crane...). They are more finicky and complicated to transform though.

The lack G1 bot accuracy doesn't bother me at all because I never liked the designs in the first place. Combined mode is where the thing really shines, as it should, given a huge range of articulation, detailed design, favorable proportions, and very durable joint quality. Putting up with the arm connectors pays off, with the arms and shoulders enjoying a very wide range of motion. It is clear to me that I very much prefer the combined mode over Hercules in most areas.

So that's that. I feel my reasoning is civil and not in anyway demeaning, since someone will take my points and prefer Herc because those are negatives to them. And that's the beauty of it. We actually had a choice and weren't stuck with just one of them. Everyone gets what they want...well mostly.

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.