Giant Robot Suggestions

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by bushboy, Jul 12, 2007.

1. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

I'm looking for some good giant robot anime. I just finished all of Evangelion, I might check out Godannar, I like the Giant Robo OVA, I don't care for Gundam anymore, and I'm currently watching Voltron and trying to get the Robotech box set. So, based on that info, any suggestions?

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Eureka 7and Big O pop into my head.

Big O is a great ride, but has the worst ending in any Anime.
    Ever.

3. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

For some of the newer series I'd definitely check out:
    Gurren Lagann (you did say GIANT robot anime)
    Eureka Seven
    Gao Gai Gar
    Code Geass
    Kotetsushin Jeeg

4. Jonstantenople

Jonstantenople underduck

You may also want to check out Getter Robo. 3 jet high tech jet planes can combine in different ways to make 3 different giant robots. Each with different abilities and weapons.

I know they released Getter Robo Armageddon and New Getter Robo in America. You can probably find both sets for a reasonable ($30-$40) price online.

Oh. And Dai-Guard. Great Giant Robot action. Awesome characters. Good comedy too. That one is about a Robot created to fight these monsters, but for 12 years the monsters never show up (after they killed the first one), so Dai-Guard ends up just becoming a big company mascot(and made out of bargain bin materials). So when the monsters finally DO show up, it's up to it's 3 pilots, who got jobs as Public Relations workers for the company, to fight the baddies and save the day.

Good stuff and you can probably find it pretty cheap. 20-30 dollars.

Whoa. This post got too long.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Ignore Robotech and buy the orginal Macross instead, its far better and your not missing much if you don't see the other two shows they chopped up.

Also Patlabor, VOTOMS and Macross Plus.

6. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Transformers! Er... wait a sec..

Anywho, I will always suggest Gasaraki for a mecha series. Some describe it as "It's like Evangalion but written by Tom Clancy".

The mechs are really realistic and the plot is centers around consparacies.

7. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Giant Robo. Nuff said. You can get the entire series from Best Buy for like $15 or something insane like that.

8. bushboy

I already said that :) 

9. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Ah, I'm so used to people not knowing what it is my eyes completely skipped over it when looking at your list. :D 

Let me replace my suggestion with the equally great: Gunbuster!

10. ZecksKitty

ZecksKitty Banned

GaoGaoGar, G Gundam (SRSLY, you said no Gundam, but G is super awesome), and Gurren Lagann.

All those are way more fun to watch than Eva! :D 

11. bushboy

Thanks people, I'll check those out. Know any good mecha fansites? I already go to gearsonline.net and mahq.net

12. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

robot-japan is good

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Go wash that over-pretentious Evangelion crap down with some RahXephon, proof that you can do a mind-bending, reality-altering giant robot anime and still have it make sense in the end, with characters you actually give a damn about. And it's got one of the most beautiful endings I've ever seen.

God how I hate Evangelion...

I haven't seen all of Eureka seveN yet, but from what I've seen thus far, I heartily recommend it. Its character-driven coming of age story is certainly a nice change of pace from the heavy war-driven angst stories more prevalent in giant robot shows, with an off-beat and often quirky sense of pacing. And the artwork in it is simply gorgeous. I don't know how Studio BONES always manages to pull off this sort of stuff, when for other studios, you notice big swings in art quality as they try to spread their budget across 50 episodes. The action sequences are exhilarating eye-candy (just check out the openings on YouTube for some examples. Yes, the art is that good in the series as well), and everything's wonderfully fluid and vibrant. And its soundtrack is awesome, with some really catchy, funky themesongs.

Actually, you can't go wrong with much of anything that Studio BONES produces. Thus far, pretty much everything I've seen of theirs has become an instant favourite of mine. RahXephon, Fullmetal Alchemist, Eureka seveN. The only real "miss" for me was Scrapped Princess, and even then, it was still a really good series, if perhaps not as visually impressive as the others (seems they got stuck with a lower budget for this one. Although the duel in the valley of glass kicks all sorts of ass. But with that kind of set piece, it'd have to). There were just all sorts of minor niggles with it that prevented it from really "clicking" with me on a deeper level.

14. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I'll throw in one I haven't seen here, Gun x Sword. It doesn't feel like a typical giant robo anime but the characters and story are good, not to mention good fight scenes.

15. bushboy

Yeah, you all can forget about Eureka seven. I can't stand it.

16. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hang on here.

How is it that nobody's mentioned The Vision of Escaflowne yet? Its basic setup seems to take a little bit of everything, and throws it in a big melting pot. And somehow, they wound up with a masterpiece. Take a bit of medieval fantasy, alternate worlds, a dabble of history and legend, dashing heroes, mystic visions, a very "steampunk-meets-King Arthur" take on giant robots, and a heaping dose of teen romance, and somehow, you end up with one of the most engaging anime experiences in existance. The characters are all very well fleshed out, and the plot keeps throwing twists and turns at you that keep you guessing until the end.

17. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Aside from those already mentioned, I'd Recommend the 7 part OVA, Mazinkaiser as well! Though it is a modern sequel and update of sorts to the Mazinger series of old, you don't need to go back and watch them to enjoy this OVA. It is just good old mindless school mecha action fun.

18. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

I must second the votes for RahXephon and The Vision of Escaflowne. Also if you want some good comedy with your giant robots I recomend Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure it's kind of like Evangelion mixed with Tenchi Muyo, but a lot better than that sounds. If your in a more serius mood try Aura Battler Dunbine it's some of Tomino's best(and a good way to see why he's called Kill'em All). If you can find it check out Space Runaway Ideon (the first of Tomino's Kill'em All phase) how ever it is not on dvd and to see it requers one must use other means.

19. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Escaflowne?

And seriously, there's some good Gundam out there.

08th MS Team comes to mind.

20. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

Agreed. Rahxephon is my second favorite anime ever (only behind Zeta Gundam), and Eva is way, way overhyped (as is its originality...Ideon anyone?).

As for some stuff to watch, I'll second pretty much everything everyone else has already recommended, and add the original Full Metal Panic and The Second Raid, Martian Successor Nadesico, and Argentosoma. They were all pretty good series, especially Nadesico and both FMPs (FMP Fumoffu is awesome too, but in a different, non giant robot way).