Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Vangelus, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just marathoned this. Heard of it, but never saw it.

Really was incredible, I was quite surprised.

And furthermore surprised to discover that this continuity has more or less no chance of ever being completed. :( 

Anyone know if there were at least comics?

2. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I've never heard of comics, I do know that there was a Ginrei special (which I have yet to see, which is shameful because it only costs like $5 last I checked), and I think there are plans to do a remake of it.

The show itself is amazingly epic and I echo the sentiments of it being worth watching.

EDIT: Argh! You can get the entire set now with the special for less than I paid for a single DVD. And I even bought it twice since I had a bootleg copy of it beforehand!

/resists owning a third set of Giant Robo DVDs

3. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow I just bought this show like a week or so ago after having seen it years and years ago and have been slowly going through it again (slowly because I want to really take this show in). From what I know about the history of Giant Robo this OAV was based on a collection of manga works from the 1960's (or so) of which I'm pretty sure never made it over here. The OAV as I understand it as well wasn't a straight up adaptation either due to some rights issues with the original works but the director took pretty much all the best elements and idea's to form the OAV under the advice of the original creator.

Anyway hope that explanation (crude as it is) helps, but ya unfortunatly this show never really expanded past this particular OAV which is a shame really as it bombed in Japan and never really got any love until it hit over here.

EDIT Found this on Wikipedia but dont know anything about this incarnation nor has it been translated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Robo:_The_Day_the_Earth_Burned

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  4. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Welcome the to fold. GR is the best anime ever. I've been a fan for the past 13 years now. Owned it on video, have the limited edition Japanese boxset (with English dub on it) and the Media Blasters eye ball.

Will I quadruple dip for Blu Ray if it ever comes out? You bet your ass I will!

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    You never saw it before now? I am shocked. Did you also watch the Ginrei special? Giant Robo is not complete without some OPEN GINREI!

Oh yeah, one more thing.

ALLEGIANCE OR DEATH! BIG FIRE!

6. Sweep

Sweep worse then vehicon drones

News Credits:
    One of my most favorite anime. It is truly epic and the score is what I love the most. Powerful music.

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BIGGU FAIYA NO TAMENI

It's my understanding that a new GR anime was made the other year, but had nothing to do with this continuity. :( 

And yes, I got the 4-disc box set of the series + the Ginrei special. :D  For like, $30. Still need to watch the Ginrei disc, hopefully later tonight!

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    It's not super great but it's a nice spoof of the OAV and pretty funny.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I used to have a friend who was a huge fan of this series, he used to go to the anime conventions in a pink suit and hat. You can figure who he was trying to be.

10. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    Awesome.

When I found out that Kenji in Japanese can mean "second chance" Murasame's level off cool shot through the stratosphere.