GI Joe: Rise of Cobra = PREDICTIONS! Smash hit or awful failure?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Kickback, Feb 17, 2009.

?

GI Joe: Rise of Cobra - Box Office Hit or Box Office Flop?

1. Successful! Box office hit!

36.3%
  2. Failure! Box office flop!

63.7%
  1. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

When I saw Trek the theater was silent for the Joe trailer and cheering for the TF one.

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    The movie's probably gonna bomb in my book. It's a movie about a group of guys who are in some unit called "G.I. JOE" which is under the military, so the whole thing might be seen as one big military recruitment add. Plus, it's actually less realistic then TF1 in a sense. I mean, G.I.JOE has a ninja and a specialized army group taking on an evil orginization which is run by a dictator trying to impersonate M. Bison from that horrible Street Fighters movie. That worked for a kids cartoon, but live action just doesn't cut it for the "Real American Heroes." Transformers, on the other hand, is pretty much a civil war involving aliens that can hide in plain sight, and the funny fact is that although that may seem more out there than G.I. JOE, it's actually more plausible to the average movie goer.

Oh, and TF1 had eye candy, too.

3. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    The trailer was on before Star Trek last night - when the name appeared on screen, the audience was mostly silent, apart from a couple of sniggers from the few people who recognised the name - it's worth remembering that 'back in the day' GI Joe was called 'Action Force' on these shores, so a lot of people in the UK won't even make the nostalgia connection.

4. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    honestly I want to find something to like but I cant and that whole power suit thing is just silly even more with the TF1 Iron hide slow mo flips and jumps

5. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Was it just me or did the trailer place a lot of emphasis on those suits?

6. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I plan on watching it just because I like Christopher Eccleston so much (9th Doctor FTW!) but I fully, truly expect the film to be dreadful. I'm sure it will be a spectacular failure.

7. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Uhm... no.

The difference is that - Lord forgive me for speaking well of the Devil - Michael Bay actually knows what he's doing. He paced the film well, treated the material seriously, gave dramatic weight to the characters. It wasn't perfect - the script simply sucked -but he delivered it on style.

Steve Sommers seems to think the goal of a filmmaker is to imitate early Looney Toons. Everything is loud and frantic, but paper thin and silly and his effects, no matter the budget, are never plausible. Just look at his track record - the bigger his budget, the more freedom he has, the worse the results get. The man simply has no clue.

Give GI Joe to Michael Bay, a guy who honestly respects the military (and its wonderful toys), and you could get a solid film that didn't feel like a cartoon.

8. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

I'm only seeing this film for 2 reasons

(01) SNAKE EYES
    (02) STORM SHADOW

9. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    I vote goes for flop.

10. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I think it will do "ok". I am going opening night so I guess I will wait and see how it is. Transformers wasn't that great but wasn't bad and I expect about the same out of GI Joe.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I went to see Star Trek with my girlfriend and a group from work, and man, this trailer made everyone roll their eyes. There was a lot of snickering in the audience. Then, the TF trailer game on and just blew it away. If this "film" is going to be any good, that trailer is no indication. I remember back when the Transformers trailer for the first movie starting showing up. Besides some cheering, they were done VERY well- everyone was in awe or at least a little impressed.

I wish the best for the movie and I will see it, but I have to say it's not gonna do so well.

12. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I vote for option 3, it does ok.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    :lolol 

Heck, I'd go see it if it had that kind of writing in it, those PSA's were hilarious!

14. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Dude, you win this thread. :lolol 

15. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I think the movie will do well. Not saying it'll be a good movie(or even decent) but I'm sure some people(kids?) will find all the action in the trailers to make it look cool

16. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's going to be a real good movie and it will make enough for them to want to make a sequel.

17. Hired Goons

Hired Goons Gassy autobot.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just based on this bit in the trailer, I know that this will be the greatest 'you've gotta be kidding me' bit in what looks like to be a complete and total mess of a movie. But, it's not out yet and thus not fair to rip it to shreds. That's what DVD and Rifftrax are for!

-paul

18. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

It'll have mediocre success. Enough to warrant a sequel, but not ROTF numbers. It'll win its weekend.