GI Joe: Rise of Cobra = PREDICTIONS! Smash hit or awful failure?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Kickback, Feb 17, 2009.

?

GI Joe: Rise of Cobra - Box Office Hit or Box Office Flop?

1. Successful! Box office hit!

36.3%
  2. Failure! Box office flop!

63.7%
  1. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

2. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

Actually.. I see nothing wrong with the casting for Destro.. so long as he can do a Scottish accent... which I assume he can.. or at least does in the trailer anyway..

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I put flop only because I don't think it will be a hit. (Though I don't think it will flop, I don't think it will do very well, either. Sort of a middle ground.)

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

To be blunt, if that's how you feel then you're judging the entire movie designs on a very limited knowledge spectrum. Using the Cobra Trooper as an example, for GI Joe Resolute...the "mature" animated series, the Trooper was updated to look like this:

G.I. Joe Resolute Cobra Trooper Review - HissTank.com - G.I. Joe

For the movie, they're updated to look like this:

G.I.JOE Movie Rise Of Cobra M.A.R.S. Industries Officer - GI Joe News

(if cross posting from Hisstank is against the rules or something, feel free to delete stuff, but it's the best place to find pics of the new toys).

In the end, both the Resolute and Movie Troopers really have similar updates. Visible tactical body armor, streamlined helmets, just basic, modern combat gear in general. As for the Accelerator Suits, google "Future Warrior" and you'll see that the concept of all black, super-tech, combat armored suits aren't just science fiction. It's an actual project being worked on in today's modern military. And for G.I. Joe, a team that's supposed to have the best of the best of the most modern technology, it makes sense they would be the ones to get it first.

Snake Eyes would disagree, seeing as being all black was one of the things that made the original so cool. And even with that said, of the first wave of 11 or so figures, only two are all black. Snake Eyes and Baroness, two character's known for being all black. Though some other characters are dressed in black and silver(Vipers and Ripcord in Acc Suit), their outfits actually make sense considering their functions. Hell, wave 1 Movie Duke looks like he just walked out of Qatar scene in Transformers, even his "Giant Rocket Launcher" is actually designed to look like a *Real* modern, portable Rocket Launcher.

One of the things I notice is that a lot of people are complaining that G.I. Joes in the film don't resemble realistic military outfits, but based on stuff from the 1970s, in which the original designs were based on. In reality the movie Joes are designed to look like troops might look in 2020, the not too distant future. Because for all we know, in 10 years soldiers will be running around in strength enhancing super-tech all black combat suits.

This. Fans will nitpick the little things and "doom and gloom" the movie...but if it has enough action and entertains movie goers well enough, it'll be a hit. Now again, I won't say it'll be as big as TF was, but that's because it'll have a LOT of competition pulling tickets away from it. But I'm hoping it'll do good so we can see a bigger resurgence of G.I. Joe. People are doing to G.I. Joe what was done to the first Transformers, nit-picking the details instead of sitting back and realizing why it was so popular in the first place.

5. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Success.

1.) It will be riding the wave of nostalgia created by Star Trek and Transformers.
    2.) It's helmed by Stephen Sommers (The Mummy series) and he's known for action that's a lot of fun, and full of incredible (albeit silly) scenes.
    3.) G.I. Joe has a huge following. (Those folks will go see it for one of two reasons: 1.) They'll go to critique it and tear it to pieces because it's not close enough to the source material. 2.) It's going to be awesome enough to garner word of mouth, and win over new fans and even the coldest of the old.)

Do I think it'll do stellar at the box office? No. I sincerely doubt it. Do I think it'll take home an impressive take at the box office? Yes.

6. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Eccelston will be amazing.

The rest of the film will be a write-off.

7. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, eat 'em up.

News Credits:
    I said hit. Only because I was vastly impressed with the trailer, and I'm going to see it myself. Ergo, saying I'm looking forward to a movie I think will suck didn't really make sense to me.

So there that is.

8. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    When the hell has Destro ever spoke with a Scottish accent? Never.

9. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I hate to give ill meanings to a project in development, but so much of the movie I have seen looks lame, and I'm a sucker for military action stuff. For what little I have seen, Snake Eyes costume looks like suck, the "Real American Hero" isnt even American anymore (dont mean to sound like a nationalist bigot, it's the theme I'm complaining about) and they're running around doing flips and shit in cyber suits? That doesnt fit at all.

I'll give this though, whoever that chick that plays the Baroness looks great, and Cobra looks like they're doing some intense stuff.

I have to say I feel like it'll be a flop.

10. ac77

ac77 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Flop - especially in the UK. Transformers right from the off in '84 was a huge worldwide success, GI Joe, not so much so. Several friends of mine had never heard of GI Joe - I had to explain to them that it was the same thing as Action Force, and they vaguely rememebered it. All were geeks, who you would have thought would know that kind of thing.

Stop a random 20-30 year old in the street in the UK and they would know the name Optimus Prime. Very few will have ever heard of Duke.

I really wonder how well the "real american heroes" will go down outside the US.

11. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

YOJOE.COM | Filecard Gallery - Destro
    http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/92/destro3.shtml
    http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/97/destro5.shtml

Then Hasbro brought the Joes back..
    http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/02/destro7.shtml
    http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/02/destro8.shtml
    http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/03/destro10.shtml
    http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/04/destro11.shtml
    http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/05/destro12.shtml
    http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/08/destro16.shtml
    http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/09/destro22.shtml

He was A Scotsmen the entire run of the Marvel comic, It ran between two companies for nearly 300 Issues.

I'm not going to argue with you about this, I have facts on my side.

12. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I can't really see it being anything more than a modest success. Nostalgia from will help it, but I don't think GI Joe will have the broad appeal that Transformers did.

13. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Oh they're still out there. They just don't wanna go and make complete asses of themselves...AGAIN, :lol 

14. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

That's Scotland as his birthplace which has nothing to do with actually having a Scottish accent. I don't remember anything being phonetically written in a Scots dialect or anyone commenting on such. Did I miss something?

Frankly the idea of the silver masked Destro coming out with an Edinburgh twang is a bit shit.

15. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Probably because Eccelston is god?

Like, he walked on set one day, and the director was like:
    "Hey, you're amazing, wanna be in my shitty movie?"

16. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    I think it will do well, but not as well as Transformers.

17. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    This movie would jump up a few points methinks if they included some old-fashioned PSA's shot with the new actors. Like Ripcord crashing into some kid's dorm room telling him not to download illegal movies. :lol 

18. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I would be there opening night if that was the case.

19. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the cartoon (I've never heard anything other than negative things about it and the clips I've seen are terrible), but read the comics, so I understand the Scots heritage he was given as a background. I disagree that this defines his speaking voice however, given how Anglicised Scotland has become and how international the character of Destro is.

At the end of the day one should choose a voice and accent that seems appropriate to the character. I just find the Scots brogue a little to gentle for a baddie of his type. I'd probably feel the same way if he were made to be a Yorkshireman or from Somerset.

Incidentally, I had a quick look at the clips on YouTube and...no Scottish accent. I'm not sure exactly WHAT that is supposed to be, other than an somewhat gutteral Englishman with a throat condition, but it's certainly not Scottish and nothing at all like how Ecclestone is playing it.

20. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Seriously, of all the characters who's accents and birthplaces being changed people should bitch about, Destro isn't one of them. He's always been Scottish and it's nice they kept that for this film.

However, from my understanding, they're making Scarlette Australian when she's always been a southern girl...to the point that's where her name comes from. And they're supposedly making Baroness American...which means she won't have that eastern European accent that made her who she was.

Destro is one of the few they seemed to have gotten right...why complain over him of all people?