GI Joe: Rise of Cobra = PREDICTIONS! Smash hit or awful failure?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Kickback, Feb 17, 2009.

?

GI Joe: Rise of Cobra - Box Office Hit or Box Office Flop?

1. Successful! Box office hit!

36.3%
  2. Failure! Box office flop!

63.7%
  1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think it's going to fail on most fronts. Should barely break even with the U.S. box office, but will be a major flop elsewhere in the world. I'm guessing a total box office take of less than $200 million.

2. hurl3ystar

hurl3ystar Member

gotta say flop

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It will open at number, quickly drop and in the end make a modest profit making technically not a flop. But for the sake of this poll, I voted flop.

It will be one of the other movies that comes out this summer, totally over shadowed by bigger more successful films. Sort of like The Hulk last summer. It did ok but in between Iron Man and Batman Hulk was ultimately forgettable.

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All aboard the fail train!

5. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I'm going with successful, but I'm not too sure. I haven't been keeping up with information on the film to stay surprised and I have mixed feelings about it so far. Some of the stuff I see, like the power suits, I don't like but even that may be enjoyable in the end. When I go to see the movie I will try to have an open mind about it and hopefully will be entertained by it.

The film should do OK in the US but the international community will probably hate it with a passion. All I know is that the movie must succeed in order for the 25th Anniversary/Modern Era figures to continue. For that reason if nothing else I want to see it score big time. As for the Movie toys I will hopefully get the Night Raven, Armadillo, Ferret, Trench Coat Snake-Eyes, and both Storm Shadows. Other than that I don't see much I want.

6. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I'll say hit in the states, but flop everywhere else.

GI Joe: The Real American Hero
    Why the hell would France care?

7. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

France dosen't care about anyone.

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It has robots and super ninjas. How can it fail?

9. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

2 words: epic fail.

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Maybe they'll retitle and re-script the movie as Action Force for overseas audiences, just like they did for the 80's show...

11. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Here's my reasoning behind why this movie is going to fail.

For starters, people are comparing GI Joe to Transformers because they're both "action figure toylines". This is true, but when you shift that view to entertainment, the entire ball-game changes.

Transformers goes in to the Sci-Fi category, with other very successful movies (Star Wars, The Matrix Trilogy, Alien(s), etc.) even if in reality it's more of a "comic book" movie.

GI Joe doesn't really fit in to "comic book" movie standards. Nor does it fit in to Sci-Fi. So where does that leave it? Ahh yes, in the "other" department ... like Speed Racer, Dragonball Evolution, etc. And only one of those movies has come out, and it flopped in the worst possible way. Dragonball Evolution is expected to flop horribly (DBZ fans last saw DBZ on television back in 2001, it's now 2009, no more 7 year olds excited because they're 15, skateboarding, and doing meth).

What GI Joe is doing wrong, from what we know about the movie, is that they're almost throwing another theme in to their movie that doesn't fit ... kind of like a Sci-Fi theme. GI Joe isn't a Sci-Fi franchise.

Transformers was so successful because it felt real. You were like "holy crap, what if my car is actually a robot!" ... with GI Joe, I'm not going to walk outside, look at some guy walking by and go "OMG, maybe he's part of a super secret elite force of badasses that are stopping a local terrorist bent on destroying the world using robot warriors" ...

Get my point?

I'm not trying to piss all over GI Joe, it's mythos, or the franchise. But it's not a good thing to translate to the big screen. If they made it some serious, hardcore adult rated R movie, then fuck yeah, that's what GI Joe means ... war is Rated R, war isn't funny and full of humor, war isn't about having cool tanks and ninjas ... war is about two sides trying to KILL EACH OTHER to prove a point. This is being marketed to kids ... a military movie marketed to kids.

See why I say flop?

12. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):

And Leaning it half-Battle!

13. grimlockams prime

grimlockams prime Check you feet

:lol 

14. odelay

odelay Downunder-bot

I can't help thinking Street Fiighter Movie... without the redeeming campyness.

15. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

not a great success, i expect it to break even world wide.

16. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Successful enough to warrant a sequel, and I hope the toys flood the market here, it is very rare to see any GI Joe figures here

17. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

I expect it to make some bank.

18. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

Well to clear this up, the movie is not sporting ' The Real American Hero ' Tagline, They had a whole thing about that Ages ago on the TV news and talking head spots.... Bill O'Reilly did an entire segment on it where he interviewed the guy the 12inch Joe was based on... The only Tagline this film has is " Rise of Cobra ".

and If I'm remembering correctly the Joes themselves have been "re-Imagined" into an International force.. based out of Germany, Covergirl is German, Hawk, Duke and Ripcord are Americans, Scarlett is Australian..Breaker is Egyptian and Heavy Duty is South African or something like this, and if you believe the rumors Snake Eyes is French...

19. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    I'm adding a container onto the shipment of fail.

In it's 'home' market, I think GI Joe will do *reasonably* well. How it's opening weekend will do will depend on reviews - I don't think it will have enough fan appeal to be a box office smash, but it's a brainless big summer action flick so some success is guaranteed at least.

Internationally, it will fare FAR worse - in Europe the line was called 'Action Force' in the 80s. Two years ago someone would say "Hey there's a Transformers movie coming out!" and the response would be "Hell yeah, I remember those! Awesome!". Now someone will say "Hey there's a GI Joe movie coming out!" and the response would be "Who?". Renaming it 'Action Force' will stir up some nostalgia but not a great deal. In the UK at least, Action Force is overshadowed in the nostalgia stakes by the fondly-remembered but similarily-named Action Man, creating potential for confusion. I'm not even sure if it was ever that popular in mainland Europe. I expect it certainly wasn't in Germany.

And the toys? Like Speed Racer, Spider-man 3 and PotC:ATW, there will be much shelf-warming. From a toy-shifting standpoint it will harm GI Joe more in the long-run because retailers will be very wary of ordering any more in future. I wouldn't be surprised if these things were still on shelves in 2011, given that toys from the above-mentioned lines are still commonplace in shops even today (hell, you can still get Dead Man's Chest figs!).

I don't mean this to bash Joes at all, I was an AF fan back in the 80s and would love for a GI Joe movie to be successful but I don't see this working out for the best. :( 

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I voted for failure, but I don't think it'll be a massive flop. It'll come out and have a big opening weekend as the fans go to see it and nostalgia draws a bunch of people in as well. However, I'd imagine the general public is going to have big expectations for this after the Transformers Movie and, based on everything I've seen, those expectations are definitely not going to be met. The second weekend, it'll drop out of the top spot, but (as long as it's not a complete suck-fest), it'll stay in the top five for at least that week and probably hang around the top 10 for awhile afterwards. While it'll recoup it's budget, and likely make a profit, the film won't meet earnings expectations at all. The opening weekend will guarantee a sequel, but the budget will be the same or slightly lower and there's no way the franchise will merit a third film.

The toys are going to be major shelfwarmers, though.