GI Joe Resolute style cartoon for TFs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 2punish&enslave, Dec 11, 2011.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I understand what you're saying. I'm not saying adding more characters is bad,in fact it's always fun to see new characters appearing!:D  It's just I don't want it to sacrifice important character development because of it. If the writers are smart to introduce new characters but still keep the important character aspects it can be done correctly!:)  I also said that the CGI gets less expensive and hard as the production moves along so we'll probably have more characters appearing in TFP as permenate cast members even!

I meant to include serious in my last post. I agree,having a more dark and violent tone doesn't always mean more serious. I think that's where the films suffer from a bit. Thankfully Transformers Prime manages to be dark and violent as well as being serious at the same time.:) 

I didn't mean to bash people who have different opinons. That was never my intent and I'm sorry if anyone took offense to it. I was just saying why do we need a TF show based on Resoulutes when we have shows like TFA and TFP,the films and the WFC games? They already delivered many things that satisfied a lot of fans so what's a point in it? I mean they make it when all of the current brands are finshed ,but I don't think it's needed right now.

Again it can change. TFP will probably have more cast members around the future seasons so there's hope for that. Besides having a huge cast can undermine a lot of character development if not handled correctly like what happened in the G1 show and the Unicron Trilogy. What they should do is to introduce a permanate cast member at a careful pace so it doesn't interfere with the development of the existing cast members that's all I'm saying. Having more characters is always fun but havign character development is more important.

2. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I do consider G.I. Joe: Resolute to be the best animated G.I. Joe product since the original G.I.Joe animated movie. However, at the moment I'm more than happy with Transformers: Prime. Maybe one day after Prime ends, I would definitely be up a for Resolute style Transformers show/movie. But in the mean time, I'm content with waiting for the second season of Transformers: Prime, and for the upcoming complete first season dvd release.

3. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Yeah a Tranformers show in a style of Resolute can work, it's just it's not time for it yet! Once it's time than people will apreacitate it.:) 

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    And I agree with that, especially in the case of the Beast shows. But I'd debate whether we really have had very much character development in Prime. For example, I don't see any real difference between Bumblebee in the first episode to the last. Or Bulkhead. Or Ratchet. With Optimus, maybe a very tiny amount, but it's debatable...not to mention he was severely underused for a majority of the season anyway. Arcee has probably had the most happen to her over the course of the season that would trigger development, but I don't think she has grown at all. She is what she is. Ironically, if any character development happened at all in the entire season, I'd say it was with Jack (but definitely not Miko or Raf). So... eh, whatever.

So while I agree it's natural to expect a smaller cast will bring you more character development, I'm not sure you can argue in TFP's case that it has. No more than we got in series with larger casts, at least.

5. kaijuguy19

News Credits:

Well that's understandble.But Bumblebee's lack of voice will be explained in season 2 with a possible back story,

Bulkhead argugeably put aside his grudges to help Breakdown,so while it occured in one episode it's effects will occur in later seasons

Ratchet has shown more apperciation for humans as time went on and at the Season finale he said that he should've spent more time learning about earth culture instead of giving in to his pride in medicenc from Cybertron.

Optimus is bland for now but it dosen't mean he'll stay that way forever though.

For Arcee,she has indeed shown signs of not being as pushy and vengeful as the show went on but the major changes in her character may not occur until Season 2 so while she's not changed yet that doesn't mean she won't later on. I mean she stopped Bumblebee from going into a revenge freny when Raf was wounded,if this occered ealier in the seires she would have gone like that too,but she didn't seeing how she learned about how vengence can bring more damage than good from Partners. She even addmited that she went too far with it. She went through serious tramua and as much as I like to see her change too, things like this take a little more time to get over. She has a better chance at this than a character like Depthcharge. I agree about Jack growing up though.

Look I'm sure Season 2 will bring loads of changes when it comes out. I could be wrong but let's see first. For all we know the characters may go through massive character changes.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Minimal difference with Arcee. If it's there, it's barely noticeable, imo.

And the rest of those (like Ratchet and Bulkhead) are about on the exact same level as what we used to see in a character spotlight episode of G1. Alternately, you could say Rodimus went through as much with as much introspection over the course of G1 season 3 as anyone has in Prime season 1. And that show was 25 years ago and wasn't even attempting it. Sure, everything could ramp up in the next season of Prime. It's still anyone's game. All I'm saying is that up to the point we are at right now, today, we haven't really seen any benefit to the smaller cast size in terms of character depth and exploration. Nowhere near like we did in Beast Wars/Machines.

7. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

No. Resolute was basically an example of how NOT to update an 80's series; it tried too hard to be grimdark and edgy, while having the Joes still be untouchable by bullets like in the old series.

Really, the best updates I've seen for 80's cartoons are Beast Wars, TFA, TFP, G.I. Joe: Renegades and the new Thundercats. They're all more serious and have higher stakes than the original cartoons, but they also try to do more than that.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Beast Wars wasn't an update. It was more like a continuation, whether it fit with what came before or not.

And Renegades? Eh... I guess mileage varies. I thought it was an okay (if shallow) concept for a re-imagining, but crikey, the animation got pretty bad. Some episodes looked like they'd been done in Flash. I'm not a fan of that show.

TFA and Thundercats, okay. Those, I agree with you about.

But I don't agree with you about Resolute. I didn't think the tone was the problem. In fact, very little "darkness" in Resolute went beyond the level already featured in the comic from the '80s. For me, the problem was more to do with Ellis' (the writer) unsuitability to the material. It was a good idea to hire a great comic book writer, but a bad idea to hire a great comic book writer whose strengths all lay in other areas. But I believe the same approach with a different writer could have been excellent.

9. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Maybe if you paid more attention to her character progress more you'll see it. If not than definately in Season 2. She'll have to change for the sake of the Team since it doesn't have Optimus as leader. Beisdes her past versions aren't known to having deep characterizations either which means the TFP Arcee isn't soley to blame for this. I don't see anyone complaining about THAT. So at least an effort is being made with this version!:) 

That doesn't mean it'll stay that way! I mean can't we see how it'll end up first? We don't know if they will change or not. Supposing if Arcee and the others do recieve some major character updates would you change your mind?

10. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    This!:thumb 

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Haven't I just said that?

Here it is again:

And no, it's not a question of me paying more attention to season one. I think it's more a question of people projecting onto season one more than is actually there. And a good series allows you to do that. But it's still projecting.

I'd also say that something like Renegades isn't aimed at the returning 1980s fan. It's aimed at a new wave of kids. As it SHOULD be. That's the point of a television series. But Resolute was meant as something like a gift to the aging fans from a bygone era. Renegades (and Prime, and TFA, etc.) aren't made that way. They're made for a new mass audience first, and any older fans who enjoy it are icing on the cake.

12. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Okay I didn't know I'm sorry! I know the show has flaws and all,but some of the characters DO have a bit of character progression including Arcee. It may not look it now but it'll have to come to a conclusion around Season 2 sooner or later, seeing how they need to keep together more than anything. Anyway sorry again for the misunderstanding.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm not saying I don't like TFP. I've enjoyed the entire season, minus a couple of the filler episodes, maybe. It's everything a new series aimed at a new audience of kids discovering the franchise should be. I'll be buying the blu-rays. I'll be buying (some of) the toys.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    A resolute type of Transformers? We have that in the movies... and I'd watch it again in a show.

Make it G1, make it its own conyinuity, and make it now.

15. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

What I would like to see is...

A g1 without the silly concepts

G1 battles where actual strategy is being used

G1 characters in close combat using bay-verse hand saws and blades.

Consistent battle damage from scene to scene until Ratchet can make repairs.

Decepticons fighting the military resulting in human casualties.

No deaths unless the TF is blown to smithereens, thrown in the smelting pool or their brain is destroyed.

In short, an adult g1.

16. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

g1 tfs cartoon series got best combiers

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not interested. Fed up with fans who seem embarassed that they like a kids franchise and insist on making it all dark, edgy and violent - as if violence & deaths somehow count as "adult storytelling", and means it's ok to like.

There is a lot more that can be improved without making any series "adult", if this is the definition!

18. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^this x1000. "Prime" has been the best-balanced series so far. (and this is coming from diehard g1 nut)

19. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I agree!:) 

20. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member