GI Joe Resolute style cartoon for TFs

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 2punish&enslave, Dec 11, 2011.

1. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    I watched the GI Joe Resolute cartoon and really liked it. I bought the dvd in fact. The animation was very nice and the tone of it was much more adult themed than the original series. Characters actually died in this one. It got me thinking about what I'd really like to see more though...a Resolute style Transformers cartoon.

Personally I prefer the pre-animated movie characters so somehow I'd like to see it involve them. I do like some of the movie/post-movie characters like Kup and Ultra Magnus but by in large I like the classics. Maybe create an alternate timeline scenario with it the way that Star Trek did with their movie. That way we could have Optimus, Megatron, Starscream etc etc.

What do you folks think?

2. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:

I think Transformers hasn't coughed and splutted at retail over the last decade like G.I.Joe has.

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^This. Transfomers is too much of a brand and big money maker now that they have to be careful with it. Not saying I wouldn't like to see it, but it's not happening. Cliffjumper dying in "Prime" is the closest you're going to get

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If they did it, I would definitely watch it. And I would probably love it. But I don't think the franchise needs it the way GI Joe did.

As for Resolute itself, I liked a lot of it, but a lot of it -- especially in the second half -- I liked less and less. Towards the end, it started to seem to me less sci-fi military action and more sci-fi super-hero action. If they were going to go for a more serious tone, maybe they shouldn't have two characters standing upright with zero cover whatsoever shooting down the hundred enemies surrounding them. Stuff like that really undermined the tone it seemed like they were going for in earlier parts.

But the animation was great and I loved the character designs for the most part. I'd love to see that applied to a new TF project.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    We don't need it, and I don't think it would do well. You want gore and death? Watch the movies. You want cool animation and storytelling? Watch Prime. You want fun and character? Watch TFA. We as TF fans are very well off in that we have these options that pretty much eliminate the need for a Resolute-type series.

6. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I despise the art direction. Just generic lazy designs like every other American cartoon these days.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't think that's necessarily what a 'Resolute' TF would entail, imo. For me, it was more about going back to a slightly more realistic style of character design and aimed at the slightly older, more longtime fans of the original series. I don't think gore and death have much to do with that. No more so than in the IDW comics or whatever (and maybe less than that).

I think for older G1 fans, who would like to see a traditionally 2D animated TF project without the hyper stylized and exaggerated look which has dominated American animation of the past two decades, there could be a lot of appeal to a TF "Resolute" kind of project. Even for someone like me who loves TFA, I have to admit I would love a break from the Powerpuff Girls/Dexter's Lab art style and see something a little closer to the original series. I loved Animated in spite of the art style, not because of it.

In Resolute? Or are you talking about Animated? Or maybe Renegades? I didn't think the Resolute designs were generic or lazy. Renegades, yeah, I could see that. But not Resolute.

8. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Dude not every American cartoon has generic designs. Just look at Teen Titans for example. Their art direction is way different from the DCAU shows.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    They are still a million miles away from the much more grounded Russ Heath designs of the original Joe series and whoever did the original TF series designs. In the '80s, there were a slew of adventure cartoon series featuring realistically proportioned human characters, from GI Joe, to Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, to Bionic Six, to Mighty Orbots, and a bunch of others. Timm and his DCAU really led the charge away from that towards adventure cartoons featuring more cartoonishly-proportioned characters. And while it worked (and still works) extremely well, I'm kind of tired of everything feeling the need to go that route.

10. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
    I agree with the overall direction of american cartoons. They look lazy and cheap. Resolute looked nice though. As for TF Prime...meh. Don't get me wrong I love the fact that they are using Cullen & Welker but I don't care for the art design and I don't like the fact that the cast is so limited. As far as the storytelling I don't see where that is so great either. I mean the Earth formed around Unicron? Really? I also don't like that most of the show takes place out in the middle of nowhere so that the CG people don't have to try and make buildings and such. In my opinion it's the best thing we've got in a while but it still is subpar. Bottom line is though that while I might not like the movies or the new cartoon they are making boat loads of cash so there is no reason for anyone to change what they're doing.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, that is always going to be a major shortcoming of any 3D animated series. If you want more characters in a 2D show, all you have to do is draw them. You can have as many characters as you want. And you can have them show up as much or as little as you want. It doesn't make much of a difference beyond the initial design phase, which doesn't need to take long and can be done basically by one guy. But adding each new 3D animated character means a huge expenditure of time, manpower, and money. Which means small casts and a lot of enemy drones.

12. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :rolleyes:  Here we go again - the usual overly opinionated peanut gallery having the same old ignorant knee-jerk assumption that whenever someone says they'd like to see a more mature themed TF show, it must mean they want R-rated levels of gore, death & swearing. They always fail to realize that some people might simply just want a show that hybrids the dark tones of Prime & the movies with the aesthetic style of G1 using the modernized Classics styled designs... along with maybe breaking the new boring trend of only having the usual 5 Autobots fighting the same handful of Decepticons.

But of course that's a dumb wish since we all know that whatever Hasbro decides to do is always 100% perfect with no room whatsoever for improvement or change.

13. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    The art design for TFP is more unique than what the other shows are attempting to do because it combined elements fromthe Movies and TFA which they carefully blend into a style of it's own. Batman TAS argueably did something similer with the Tim Burton influences and it helped it a lot! If anything the Prime asthetic is anything BUT bland. If you think about what they've done with Unicron it makes him not look like a Galactus ripoff to other mainstream people.

Having a small cast has more advantages than a huge cast because it leaves room for more character development which is a show's most important element. Shows like Beast Wars and Animated had small casts too, which they succeded in doing so wonderfully. Having a huge cast however can cripple that element severly in shows like the original G1 series and the Unicron Trilogy. While Prime has still a little more to go it's really close on being on level with them! The CGI they use usually gets less expesive to use leaving room for more characters to appear.

14. 2punish&enslave

Ebay:
    My other issue with Prime is the people. I'm sure this gets complained about a lot but I simply don't care about the people particularly the kids. They just drag the show down for me. I know that they aren't going away though so it is what it is. It was one of the reasons why I always liked the Cybertron episodes of the G1 cartoon not to mention the fact that it just looked cooler. So Hasbro when you make my Transformers Resolute style cartoon make sure to have it in Cybertron will ya? :) 

15. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    simply put, i would love it...yeah, Resolute wasn't perfect, but it was a million times better than ARAH, and i loved those toons...seeing the same grown up toon for TF would be amazing...and no weird "TF: Prime" or "animated" animation...no kiddie look...more of a grown up bada$$ version of G1, pretty much like what you see in the newer comics...

16. kaijuguy19

News Credits:

I'm having a feeling that some TF fans like you mention are SOOO darn nitpicky to look at things like this realisticly. I persaonly don't mind the current tren of a small cast if Autbots because it leaves for more character development. It worked for Beast Wars and Animated so why not Prime?

Dude some of the humans in TFP like Jack and his Mom are perhaps one of the best written humans for the franchise so far because of how pratical and realisticly they view this conflect. The humans play a role in the Transformers development in the show because some of them actully helps out more than you think,Like Jack and his mom helping Arcee cope with her past for example. Also Agent Fowler is voiced by one of the freaking Ghostbusters! And Silas has proven to be a human villan that's not a pushover. Have you seen any of this in G1? No.

In case you haven't noteced the Transformers franchise has proven time and again that it doesn't need to rely upon pointlessly shoved in nostalgia with over the top needless violence in order to keep going on and making new fans. It certainly doesn't need to resort to that now seeing what amazing things Hasbro's handing out!

I'm sorry you don't like the show but simply making a TF story like G I Joe resolutes is just pointless because the TF films and TFP show are the closeset things you'll get when it comes to having a darker tone and violence.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's basically turning a fault into a feature. They couldn't afford to have large casts in Beast Wars/Machines, so we got to see a lot of focus on the characters they could afford. I really appreciate the effort put into turning lemons into lemonade.

But I can understand some fans missing the days of having a larger cast. You can still focus on a smaller core cast, but it allows you more variety, and grander scope. For example, in the season 3 premiere of Animated, we got a look at Rodimus' team and a larger view of the TFA universe in general. It can get boring focusing on only the same 5 hero characters every episode. In Animated, even though they had the smaller core cast, they constantly brought in other characters to add variety. We got Dinobots, Wreck-Gar, Ultra Magnus, Jazz, Sentinel, etc. Whereas in Prime, for the Autobots, we got Wheeljack and that's it. It's too cost prohibitive to do cameos or bring in too many characters for a single-episode appearance in 3D animation. At least, so far.

Again, not the point. A more serious tone doesn't have to mean darker. And it doesn't have to mean more violent.

18. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  19. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey man, I like Prime. I just hate the bashing some people get whenever they say they wish for something a little more mature in tone. People are allowed to post their neverending wish lists of toys, so other people should be allowed to say that they'd like a different styled cartoon. It's not so much that they're whining about anything - they're just discussing what a show like that could be like. And what harm is there? It's not like Hasbro gives a shit - they're going to do what they're going to do.

And despite how much I liked Animated and currently enjoy Prime, yeah, I'm one of those people sick to death of these small 5-character casts. It may have worked before, but it's tiresome imo.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits: