GI JOE fandom angry about the time switch

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Shaun_C, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Link

I can't say I'm surprised by the reaction, because I'm not. The reaction in and of itself is totally understandable. However for as "mature" as the Joe fandom is said to be I'm surprised they don't get it.

It'd be foolish of Hasbro to NOT capitalize on the pre-movie hype. So the only recourse would be to have BotCon next June. Even though I never said it, I always thought that Hasbro would've been missing something big

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Quoting from Shaun's post:
    And it never will be; I doubt anyone wants them combined. The only time I would personally be interested in a GI Joe convention would be if Hasbro somehow found a way to reissue ALL the old UK Palitoy 1982 Action Force (way back, when we had 4 forces fighting the original Red Shadows) toys.
    And from over there:
    So ours isn't the only fandom that has whiny members. Sweet.
    Oh boo fucking hoo. Now you know how a lot of us felt when FP did Botcon in the Fall, after all the other Botcons being in the Summer. I don't see what they're moaning about anyway; come 2008 we'll most likely be back at the ass end of the year again and they'll have their timeslot back.
    Why should it? Isn't a toyline supposed to stand or fall on its own merits?

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    :rolleyes2  I love when communism infiltrates a fandom.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I particularly like the guy in that thread who suggested in all seriousness that they MOVE THE RELEASE DATE OF THE MOVIE so it doesn't conflict with the Joe convention. W...T...F!

Seriously, fuck them. We play second fiddle to them every year, they can step aside this one time. I'm certain that Hasbro applied pressure to Brian Savage to do Botcon in conjunction with the movie in 2007, otherwise I'm not sure he would have done it of his own accord. He clearly has a preference for the Joe stuff, but 2007 is just too important to Transformers to overlook. I'm sure they'll get their summer show back in 2008. Let us have our damned moment in the sun for once. Dicks.

EDIT: To their credit, some of them are saying it sucks for them but makes sense. So only some of them are dicks. Sounds familiar. :) 

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...twat.
    Areed. I spent a good few hours drinking and chatting with Brian at Botcon in 2005; he's a Joe collector himself. Spent way more time talking about Joes than TFs.
    IMO there is NO way he'd have pushed the Joe Convention back unless Hasbro pressured him somehow.

6. Shaun_C

:lol 

Okay and I thought that the TF and anime fandoms said some assinine things. Yeah like Paramount & Dreamworks would cost themselves time and money by pushing back the release date :rolleyes2 

Yeah I got that same sense of deja vu too KD. I wonder why?:D 

Well even if your feeling is correct Draven and Brian has a stronger bias towards GIJOE. It can't be said he's not reasonable because even if it did take convincing, even he must've seen the benefit of having BotCon 1 week prior to the movie. And again if that's true, I'd say we can thank Rik, Pete and the rest of the council for BotCon being in summer too. After all that council isn't just there for their good looks :lol 

But then again, you know me. I try to think the best of everyone and give them the benefit of the doubt :D 

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    *tear*

:rolleyes2 

8. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Well, Transformers fans have had to put up with two Botcons being in the fall. Also, I think Transformers has a much greater fandom than Joes do. Quite franky, this is what I have to say: Boo-la-freakin-hoo I'm happy Botcon's in the summer and I think you'd be hardpressed to find a Botcon goer that thinks differently.

9. Shaun_C

I know Dragonclaw would disagree with that, judging from what he told me

And I'd like to think that the Joe fandom is as large if not larger since Joe toys have been around for longer the TF toys

10. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I talk to Brian and this year's Botcon and the few e-mails I have got back from him since Botcon. They would like to try to have them at the same place and at the same time. The problem with that is Making sure the exclusive sets for both con being done on time, and having a large place to hold the dealer room, and all the panels and everything else. Cause you know if they do not have the same equal panels, and autographic signing times for both side The one side will say they are getting screwed.

On 1 side I think it would be a good idea, have them at the same place and time.

On the other hand, I think it would be WAY to many people in one town. Hotel being sold out for that area for the weekend. I just do not think any city other than Los Angel, or New York city, Chicago. Could hand that many people over a weekend.
    I would say if both were at the same place I would have to figure double what I drop this year or triple that amount.

Know what I would like to see happen is move Botcon to a late July early August date would be great. You would still be in the summer months, and the joe con could go back to the late June show time.

11. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

Well, the thing about Gi Joe is that next year is an anniversary year, with the line fading away as quickly as it has been, with lack of new 3.75 figures, and more emphasis on the big and tiny Sigma Six, and the rumour that the last two DTC Waves will not even see release anymore, plus how Hasbro and MC promised next year would be big for Joe fans.
    There is supposed to be an anniversary joe line comming out next year, but there are rumours that may even not come out.
    So you can see the frusteration, but a majority of joe fans, atleast the most vocal ones, are a bit on the whiny side.

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    haha, suck it joe fans.

13. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

word.

14. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The mention of thinking of having both conventions at the same place at the same time scares the hell out of me.

The elevators at Botcon were bad enough, as was space at the hotel bar. I couldn't imagine if you doubled all that up with two huge fanboy conventions at one time. I would just pray for a room on the 3rd or 4th floor so I could use the stairs. Then find some way to sneak beer to my room...

15. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Well, I'm certainly not surprised by the Joe club's reaction. I'll also be very surprised if Botcon doesn't return to the late summer / early fall timing next year. This year pretty well squashed the theory about attendance being so low last year because of the timing...that place was PACKED!

16. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

I can't help but think one side or the other will always be upset while the same company handles both licences. There's one easy solution to that of course...

Phazer

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. And your suggestion for another company to handle the TF convention would be who exactly?

18. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Hasbro made it pretty clear when the license was up for grabs that they clearly wanted MC, who had a proven track record, or nobody.

19. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

I really really really really really really really really really really hope that there is NEVER a combinaed Joe/TF convention. Honestly, it's one of the crappiest ideas I have ever heard.

20. gen1fan

gen1fan G1 PRIME FROM VA TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Back home in Pittsburgh, Pa. In the spring they would have the Greenberg Train show ( NOW the Great train show), and the bridal Show in the same building on the same weekend. All the Expomart In Monroeville, PA ( Outside of Pittsburgh) is a giant show floor. Joe could be on one side and Transformers on the other side. ANd there is a Double tree Hotel that next door to the center. Plus there are other hotels in the area. I'm sure if my home town has that, then there has to be other town that could have both cons on the small weekend. Plus you have the new Convertion center in downtown Pittsburgh, I have not been in it since they rebuilt it.

But let the joe fans be piss off. I think that we have a better fan base.

As for myself I do collect joe stuff, but only items I had or wanted when I was a kid. Transformer being 1st and Loinel trains being 2nd.My joe collection is 3rd on my list.