GI Joe Con - Pics of upcoming toys

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Mister D, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

From TNI:
    http://afigures.com/g/?mode=album&album=2006_GIJoe_Convention%2FDay_2_Hasbro&dispsize=800&start=60

From JBL:
    http://s6c.joebattlelines.com/convention_06.htm

I haven't done the 3 3/4 stuff in years, but there is some there for those who are intersted. The rest is devoted to Sigma Six, a line I've really taken a liking too. Here's my thoughts on the new stuff they've unveiled:

Lt. Stone
    Awesome. Reminds me greatly of Xevoz Shield Breaker, and that's quite cool. Suprised by the Zartan outfit - I was execting a Viper disguise, but I guess this makes more sense. Except... is he supposed to be disguised as Zartan, or Zartan as Stone?

His weapon - net launcher? Looks like.

Bionic bits are rocking.

Cobra Black
    A sweet, sweet, *sweet* new look for the Commander. Love the new/classic helm - is it removable? Wait - TNI has an unmasked shot. Black hood = thumbs up!

Looks like they dropped the gimmick for more weapons - and a lot of them. Awesomeness.

Zartan
    Incredible. Like the perfect version of the character, the version I'd always wanted. I was skeptical about the hood, but they pull it off beautifully. Don't really know what the hell he's holding - his version of the whipstar maybe?- but it doesn't matter. I'd pay $20 for him without any accessories at all.

Artic Snake Eyes w/ Timber
    Great use of a redeco. Recognizable, but very different. The vest looks great, as does the new head. Jet board? They've been cool since BTTF 2.

The real selling point is articulated Timber, another sculpt where the Xevoz heritage shines through (in this case, Moonstalker). I would've paid full price for a crap SE just for Timber, but combine the wolf with this new design, and Hasbro will get my money as soon as it hits the shelf.

Batwing Kamakura
    Maybe it's the lighting, but he looks more orange than yellow this time. Not nearly as insta-cool as the other toys, but I figure Jet Duke could use some company. My main regret is that the figure itself has almost no alterations. I guess the money they spent on the others has to be made up somewhere. Still, for a soldier he may be worth the price.

Demolition Gear Tunnel Rat
    Definately not sold on this one. The first TR was terrific. This one has a Flash/Grand Slam color scheme going on, and a bunch of accessories that I can't puzzle out at the moment. I'm probably going to need to see a review, or more details on those accessories before commiting to him.

Snake Wrangler Spirit Iron-Knife
    Another one where there is little done to the basic model. Vest looks great, but what I see in the accessories doesn't quite add up to much. He is a soldier, right? Maybe for that price I'll get him, but not convinced yet.

Grandslam
    Liked the original, will definately get this one. Great head sculpt, terrific helmet, all new body type. I'm not sure we need a missile expert, given that everyone on the team seems to get a missile weapon, but we do need more Joes. Definate buy.

Flight pack Storm Shadow
    I am nearly more sick of the Storm Shadows than SEs and Dukes. It's not like there are a shortage of Cobras waiting to get their own toys. On its own I like the figure- again I'm a sucker for jet packs. I guess I'll just have to create my own Cobra Ninja Force.

Ball and Chain Storm Shadow
    Looks to be the laziest redeco yet, but again I suspect the costs are being put into cooler toys. On the fence.

Flight Pack Snake Eyes
    Like the visor, like the gun, like the back pack, like the armor. Don't much care for the actual figure decos. Leaning towards a get, but I'll see how the final version looks. (EDIT - Thanks to the Scream Man at JBL for pointing this out - This SE has double jointed knees!)

Chain Gun Duke
    Duke my ass. That's Rock and Roll! Like the body redeco and the guns are very cool, but at a Commando price he better come with more.

Quad Snake Eyes
    Grrr... Couldn't do Quad Tunnel Rat? Like I need another SE? Or Duke? I'll get one of the Quads. Right now I'm leaning towards Duke, but I'd like to know what the accessories will be for each.

2.5"
    My interest in these is mixed. I am getting the Dragonhawk, Firebat and the Mechs. I have little interest in the rest, but the more I see, the harder it is to resist.

2. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

could 2.5 inch figs fit in alts?

3. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure, if they had some articulation. They're more like the smaller Star Wars Unleashed than actual action figures.

4. Mister D

They do. Or at least some of them do. I'm not sure how much - those designed to fit in vehicles (like the new VAMP) MAY have enough to fit them in an Alt, but I'll be damned if I buy one to try it out.

5. Mister D

UPDATE!

A new (Cobra?) Firefly and SHIPWRECK will be revealed soon.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

There goes another HISS tank to get

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Besdies Destor, nothing looks appealing. The Snake-Eyes with Timber looks nice but I don't want more of the same figures. The only one I might get is the Black Cobra Commander. And that's a strong maybe.

Where is Scarlett? Where is Baroness?

8. Mister D

*sigh*

Common debate on the S6 forums. Hasbro says (truthfully) girl toys don't sell well, and won't be making them any time soon. Unlike the low cost of the ARAH toys, the S6 molds cost too much to burn on a near-guaranteed low-seller.

My hope is that once (if?) the series becomes well established, they will be given a bit more latitude and take more chances (and cut back on the SE and Dukes). But for now, they are playing it safe.

9. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Well once kids don't want another bluish green instead of greenish blue Snake-Eyes, they might reconsider.

10. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'll definately be sticking to buying the DTC individually carded figures for the artwork alone. Munitia looks wonderful. Sorry Baroness, there's a new sexy woman in Cobra's ranks. (now if only they could make the figures look as good as the package art!)

11. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Bwa? No mention of the RAH/DTC Viper 6-pack yet?

Six original Vipers done up in the original '86 color scheme. Looks like they found the original thighs too, though they still have '86 BAT feet.

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow that Zartan is cool. Kind of liking Arctic Snake eyes too. Black Cobra Commander is sexy!

13. Viper_486

Viper_486 Cobraaa!

Well at least they have half fixed my biggest gripe with the reuse of the viper mold from the past decade or so.
    It was a *huge* mistake on their part to give the Viper waist, things and boots to that crappy Battle Corps cyborg Dr. Mindbender.
    It was right then that they lost the mold for the lower half of the Viper.

Actually, upon a closer examination, the waist is still the BAT v1 waist. :(  (lets hope they at least rounded out the inside of the waist, cause all the ones I have using the BAT waist/legs stand a bit cockeyed due to the Viper torso being a bit different shape than the 'socket' in the BAT waist...)

Still, this is the best thing to happen to Cobras like me since Cobra Commander went from a used car salesman to a world tyrant.
    I am gonna be buying at least a dozen of these packs to build my Viper army up to spec.

And if need be, I can always mold and copy the boots from one of my original Vipers to make all of them match. (that and touch up their belt buckles wit a little red... (The original Viper waist had a red Cobra symbol on the buckle, (like the one on my uniform) and this one has the BAT mk1 belt...)

14. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

wow the dtc figures looks great, finally i will be able to get 6 packs of my fav vipers of all time :D  they look class, Zartan and the new cobra commander look really good to cant wait to get them

15. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    That is exactly what my wife wants to know.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I am LOVING the s6 Zartan & Black CC figures. looks good, althought I definitely don't want ANOTHER Duke figure. the Snake Eyes with Timber is tempting, although mainly for Timber. The Quad bikes are fairly cool too; very Ferret-esque.
    And I love the S6 2.5" stuff.

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

3 3/4 Viper 6-pack is a must get (question is, how many will I be able to get?).

18. Mister D

OK, TNI has updated their pics to include Shipwreck and Firefly.

Shipwreck looks nothing like his original incarnation, and I think that's good. All new body sculpt, but best of all he comes with an EVIL MONKEY. Given the lack of accessories, I'm betting he's a soldier.

Firefly is decked out in Silver, gray and black Cobra armor. Under the armor his clothes are clearly an homage to the original Firefly. He comes with Wolverine-like fire claws, a silver version of his first gun, and a long flamethrower.

19. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I've heard this as well, but like many I hope they reconsider soon and give us a S6 Baroness and Scarlett.

As for everything that was shown, there are definitely some figures in there that I'm excited about. The black CC, new Firefly, Artic Snake Eyes, and that Storm Shadow repaint all look particularly cool.

20. Mister D

Business is business. I'm willing to bet that the design team really does want to put out Scarlett, Jinx, and Baroness. Reality is decades of sales data don't support it. If they ever feel the time is right for a female fig to turn a profit, we'll get one.