gi joe 25th anniversary vs o-rings--which do you like better?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by ckhtiger, Aug 6, 2007.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

so I just got my first of the new style joes--the silver pimp daddy destro from hts. this was going to be my tester for the new line, as I was only planning on getting new figures that I didn't already have an acceptable version of from the lines from the past 5 years.

I must say that I'm pretty disappointed with the change in design. I mean it's entirely solid from the top of the legs to the bottom of the chest. I feel as if when you turn your torso, it would make more sense to pivot at the waist instead of the chest. the legs also seem really skinny, too, and I wasn't a big fan when ankle articulation showed up a couple of years ago in a few figs, and I don't really like it now, either.

I'm not bitching or anything, and am still going to get serpentor at the very least, but I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same way I do, that the o-ring design was much better.

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Waist articulation would have been nice but I have had trouble with more then a couple O-rings. I have a Zartan who's waist is forced into odd positions making it look like he is sticking his ass out all the time. Also two of my Vipers from my Viper Pit set have legs that want to stick out to the side.

I like the ankle articulation, posing my Vipers with a 25th I found it difficult to pose then in interesting ways.

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

true, I forgot about that problem with some of the o-ring guys. got a couple of vvv bats that do that.

4. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    I like the new articulation. But what do I know, I'm keeping all of mine MOC.:wink: 

5. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I'm hoping this is the first step in new development for the joes. It just couldn't continue with the same stuff forever. I had enough with the cobra ninja pack when the Vypras would either have to stand with their back arched or looking like they dropped their contact lens.

I like the change, and I like being back to singles cards, and hope the improvements continue with each wave.

6. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    With some improvements, I believe Hasbro has stated some are coming, I would go with the 25th Anniversary right now. Both are great though.

The Viper Pit set is great but when I opened my two sets they felt kind of cheap to me for some reason. So far I have had to replace 3 o-rings from the two sets. Out of all my Joes from the start of G.I. Joe vs. Cobra until now I have only had one other break and that was a B.A.T. version 3. The articulation on the Viper set is not the greatest. I remember a thread on another Joe site dedicated to fixing the problems with the head and leg articulation. All that aside it is a nice set to look at.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I did this with them :D 

[​IMG]

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    so nice.

9. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Nice. I have mine knelt down at the moment as the first line of my Cobra forces on my shelf with my Cobra hierarchy. It's amazing some times how many of the 3 3/4 figures can fit in such a small space. I currently have 137 Cobras and 78 Joes on display plus 4 extras. If it wasn't for the Transformers Movie figures I would probably have more out right now.

10. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

I greatly enjoy the new figures, especially for the incredibly realistic proportioning. The old figures were perhaps more poseable to some, but all of them had the same body type, making them kind of drab. With the Anny lineup, everyone looks unique, and are adequately poseable, but I do agree that stuff like hindered thigh movement and poor hand molds are detractions for the line. However, with the soft (Vinyl?) plastic, I have found it very easy to carve some of the excess plastic around key joints with an xacto, and the figures don't look hacked to pieces as a result. I guess its all down to what you want out of the figures. Personally, these new figures are more display pieces, being anniversary releases, while the old ones are definately made for some play.

11. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I love the new figures, however if they had the O-Rings as well I would like them even more

12. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

O-Rings all the way.

It looked like Hasbro was trying to go the Microman route - and then stopped and quit - with the 25th figures. I wish they had stuck with the articulation that made the figs popular with kids all over the world.

Granted, the new figs are gorgeous, but they aren't what they could have been, IMO.

13. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

The new articulation is superior, a lot of the o-ring figures have issues with fit & function. My only gripe with the new figs so far is that the wrist joints feel a touch flimsy.

14. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I don't think I would be interested in the new Joes if they had made them with the old designs. So "No" to the O-rings.

15. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The *only* problem I have with my one (soon to be 2+ in the near future) 25th joe is the thigh articulation. In that, he can't sit with his legs forward. Hopefully that gets altered a bit, but otherwise the new articulation is a 100% improvement.

Ankle articulation is simply gorgeous, the body moving at the torso is different, but more realistic (seriously, just twist your body around, your stomach still points forward more then your chest), the arms and wrist articulation work great for me and the double jointed knees is a thing of beauty. And though the hands are a bit too soft for my tastes, at least they can hold their pistols straight and I won't have to worry about thumb breakage. The two worst parts about the older G.I. Joes is thumb breakage and O-ring tearing, both of which are no longer an issue.

And I say this as someone who owns at least three to four times as many 3 3/4th joes as I do TFs.

Here's hoping for 25th Anni Vipers!

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

The thighs and elbows need some work, but overall, the poseability and sculpting blows RAH out of the water as much as modern SW does vintage (or even POTF2) and Classics does G1. RAH style was great. That they managed to use it as long as they did is testament to that. But it's time to move on. And I dunno about you, but I'm not gonna miss the broken crotches, thumbs and O-rings, or the poseability issues that arise from frankensteined figs (looks at stack o' Viper Pit 6-packs).

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't stand O-rings. Half my GI Joes look like they want to stick their butts out like a cat in heat, and if I try to move it they slide right back. If you look at the way the human body moves, if you are going to have one point of torso articulation, I say right above the belly is actually better and more realistic. I also like the ankle articulation and it boggles my mind why it isn't used in more things since it expands poseability almost more then any other place. The new proportions are way better to. I do wish I could find more 25th at retail though.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I like the o rings as long as the pelvic piece is large lol

You know, so that silver piece doesnt stick out when your posin and the legs wont be so loose.
    Some of of the newerish BATS and Wild Weasels. (Mostly from the Valor vs Venom series) do It and it kind of a bummer

19. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    I too wouldn't be interested in these new sculpts if they had o-rings, but then again, I'm not a big fan of rubber tires on TFs either; I've seen too many issues with durability.

20. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

you know, after posting this and thinking about natural body movements, and then other's posts, I realized that the new style is actually more realistic. thanks for showing me the light, guys! but no thanks for reminding me about the issues with o-rings.