GI Joe 2 Logo

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Shin Densetsu, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
  2. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Anyone expecting something GOOD from this movie series is just plain silly.

3. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

re-casting half of the actors would be a nice start.

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i'll look forward to it, i mean the movie might of tanked, but the toys were cool, that's all that counts right? lol

5. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

This...

...and this.

Shoot the 'script writer' (I use the phrase with caution) and burn the dreadful costumes. And yes, that includes the fucking rubbery Snake Eyes.

6. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I did not mind me movie. It was just like the TV show. Bad acting and all.

7. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I want to see some new recruits screw up and get sent to the Slaughter House this time.

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    only if their 170 lbs of air pollution or on your feet like a man or in a ditty bag, an itty bitty bag.

9. MaxLinden

MaxLinden Auto-Con

News Credits:
    I wish I had hope for the second one but I really have no hope.

10. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

i think i saw a totally different movie than u. it was nothing like the tv show and that was the main problem for me. it was just ass.

also getting rid of that douche channing tatum would be a great start for improving the sequel.

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I liked the first movie, so I'm looking forward to the sequel.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I didn't think Channing Tatum was right in the role of Duke, but I liked the film.
    It was fun and I look forward to the sequel.

The movie made over $300 million dollars worldwide.
    That doesn't count DVD and BD sales nor any of the merchandising -hardly what I would call 'tanking'.

13. DeathsHead

Personally I thought the film crapped on everything that has ever been any good about 'Joe from the story and characters right down to the way stuff looked.

But hey, that's just me.

And yes it made around $300,000,000 for a $175,000,000 estimated budget. Not mindblowing, but certainly healthy enough to green light further sequels (DAMN!)

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I'm convinced GIJoe 2 will be better, seeing as how they hired the Zombieland writers to write it.

15. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    ...the toys weren't as cool as they could have been. Cite: underwhelming Night Raven and itty bitty Dragonhawk.

The new scriptwriters are the dudes who wrote Zombieland.

Yes but it didn't do what Hasbro intended it to do; re-vitalize, and re-invigorate the GI Joe brand like Bay's TF1 movie did for Transformers.

16. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Personally, I loved the first film. I found it hilarious, hammy and as someone who never followed GI Joe, exactly waht I was looking for. None of the actors were taking it seriously, it was just big over the top fun.

I personally look forward to the second one imensly. I hated the TF film, TF2 even more, but I thought RoC was great simply beacuase it wans;t taking itself seriously. GI JOE understood it;s absurdity and ran with it, whereas the TF film misunderstood everything and ballsed it all up, which is why I've seen RoC 4 or 5 times and refuse to rewatch the TF films.

Just my two pence...

17. DeathsHead

I think these two sentences sum up why I find this summation a bit...odd.

A lot of people (fans) felt the same way about G.I Joe as you feel about Transformers - namely that excessive liberties were taken with story, plotlines, and characterisation and that the look of the heroes and villains themselves were altered for what often appeared to be arbitrary reasons.

Whilst the cartoon has it's fans, Joe was best as a comic - in which it took itself fairly seriously to excellent effect.

18. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The first one was enjoyable and I'm sure I'll see this one too.

19. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

I'm sure if I were an old Joe fan I'd have some issues with the film. However don't get me wrong on the TF films, it's jof just because I'm a TF fan that I disliked them, they are simply terrible movies in my personal opinion...

20. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Good God. Some of the individuals in this thread are unfortunately looking at the Joe cartoon with blinders on... Just as TF Fans do the same with G1.

What part of RoC was nothing like the old Joe Cartoon? Let's compare shall we...

RoC: Cobra Organization isn't fully in the limelight yet, but they are working towards completeing a horrific doomsday weapon to threaten the world.

Sunbow Joe Toon Mini-Series: Cobra is an already established terrorist organization who creates the MASS Device (a horrific doomsday weapon) to threaten the world.

RoC: G.I.Joe is tasked with preventing Cobra's schemes (M.A.R.S. is the true enemy of the film, but bare with me on this one).

Sunbow Joe Toon Mini-Series: G.I.Joe is tasked with preventing Cobra's schemes and goes running around the world to retrieve the catalytic elements in order to build their own MASS device.

RoC: Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow have history.

Sunbow Joe Toon Mini-Series: Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow do not have history. In fact Storm Shadow isn't even in the first mini-series, but the toon portrays him as Spirit's enemy.

Marvel Joe Comics: Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow have history. (Hmmm... Looks like they took their cue from the comics on this one folks, see they do care? *Inser Eye Rolling Sarcasm Smilie Here*)

RoC: Cobra uses LASERS.

Sunbow Joe Toon Mini-Series: Cobra uses LASERS!

RoC: Cobra's plot is far-reaching, grandiose, over the top cartoon villainy at it's finest.

Sunbow Joe Toon Mini-Series: Chekeroonie... I mean they are cartoon villains so of course their plot is far reaching, grandioes, etc, etc... :D 

RoC: Cobra destroys the Eifel Tower to prove their power.

Sunbow Joe Toon Mini-Series: Cobra steals the Eifel Tower to prove their power... Ok, not exactly the same, but it's there.

RoC: Campy dialogue and over-the-top action scenes run rampant.

Sunbow Joe Toon Mini-Series: Campy dialogue and over-the-top action scenes run rampant... Cobra even has a Slave Controlling Device and this unexplained jumbo giant Conan-esque dude as a Slave.

RoC: Joe thwarts Cobra's ultimate grand scheme to unleash the nano-mites and captures Cobra Commander and Destro.

Sunbow Joe Toon Mini-Series: Joe thwarts Cobra's ultimate grand scheme to conquer the world and captures Cobra Commander... Destro escapes to make way for a sequel.

RoC: Zartan is revealed to be on the loose at the very end of the film as Cobra's true plan is uncovered to the audience.

Sunbow Joe Toon Mini-Series: No Zartan. No clever secondary scheme hatched by Cobra Commander, but they weren't sure if it was going to take off yet so they can be forgiven for not planning ahead like that creative wise.

Hmmmm. Seems to me that the Joe movie stuck a lot closer to the 80's source material than the Transformers movies. In fact they were so good at it that a lot of you seemed to have hated it despite it being exactly like your childhood... I wonder why that is? *Note Sarcasm Detector*

Quite frankly I look forward to whatever comes of the Joe Movie franchise. I think that it is a fun, enjoyable and entertaining film franchise and has managed to excite me as much as the TF films excited me. Sure the TF films didn't stick as accurately to the source material, but TFs are all about change, whereas to me, Joe has always been about America's Top Secret Specil Mission Force fighting against Cobra: A Ruthless Terrorist Organization Determined to Rule the World.

As long as the movies are close to that basic card-back blurb who cares if it isn't as serious as the Marvel Joe Comics? I was exposed to the cartoon long before I read any of the comics and if I had to choose between which one to use as a basis for the live action film series... At least the cartoon take on the franchise offers a lot of fun little nods and stuff to the fans. Not to mention the actors for the most part seemed to have a lot of fun with it. (I'm not so sure Dennis Quaid was even aware what movie he was acting in. He just cashed his paychecks and did his lines and that's that.)

I have nothing wrong with the direction the film went in and can't wait for the sequel. So what if the Baroness' character isn't exact, she's still the Baroness, and Cobra Commander being her brother instead of a 'Used Car Salesman' or a 'Citizen of an ancient serpentine race' is OK in my books.