Ghosts of Yesterday not canon with film? (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Soundatron, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

Notice there were no mention of shipping Megatron in 1969 and the Ghost ship or anything in the movie.

2. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

I think it just never finished. You think they just left Megatron there in the ice frozen after the guy lost his life to knock him back? Did they just barricade the roads so nobody goes there? Of course the military transported him somewhere else ... it just didn't go that far. It doesn't make it untrue to the movie.

The Ghost ship was decades before the movie time. There would be no reason to bring up that ship because nobody went into any back story.

So, how can it be not canon with the film if it wasn't even mentioned? It was back story that happened before the film events and never contradicted anything.

3. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

I thought in the movie they said they had moved Megatron to Hoover Dam in like 1936 or something.

It did seem that the flight of the Ghost I had never happened in the storyline of the movie, otherwise you'd think the Sector Seven guys would have mentioned it when they were briefing the Sec Def. They told him about the transmission from the Mars rover, there was no mention of any other contact with "Ice Man's relatives."

(Anyway, I just read the book today and am keen on discussing it, and am trying to find the appropriate thread rather than starting a new one lest it be redundant.)

4. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Ghost 1 also never made it back home. So their encoutners barring the brief radio communique, if they even could from the worm hole, possibly was never recieved, don't remember read this back before the movie. They did reference megatron's moving, which is my assumption on partially why he already knows english.

5. 80Datsun210

They did communicate with Sector Seven enough to relay the message that there were other aliens like "Ice Man" and to receive the code that they were not to return home if there was any chance of being followed (and leading aliens to Earth). But, eh, whatever.

6. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I liked the book, but you have to face the fact that it was just a way to get 7 bucks from you before the movie took your 10. They weren't going to have the writer in contact with the set every day to see if details changed as they filmed and he wrote.

7. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    Actually it does kind of match up to the comic since they knew a presence might be coming (mars, and in the prequel comic tried to track bumble bee), and that there was more. Protocols were put in place not to talk to visitors apparently too, since ghost proved they were 'unfriendly'.

8. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

I dont consider the book canon. It was nice to get some additional characterisation - especially for the Cons, however the details just dont fit with either the prequel comic or the movie.

Both the Movie and Prequel comic put megatrons move to the Hoover Dam in the 1930's. The book states this was done over 30 years later - concurent with the Apollo 11 mission (which was used as a cover for the launch of Ghost 1) in 1969.

Also - in the movie - prime says they learned earths languages of the world wide web - but after the autobots contact with Ghost-1, they had already learnt english.

Several lines in the movie spoken by the autobots seem to suggest that they have had no prior contact with humans - but in the book they actually fight side by side to defeat the Cons.

Also - didnt Bay state that he felt it was silly for robots to be travelling round in a spaceship. The existence of the Art and the Nemesis hasnt been established in the movie or prequel comic canon.

9. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wasn't Tom Banacheck introduced in the prequel novel?

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not that I rememeber.

The only big contradiction I saw between the prequal book and the movie was the reference to moving megatron in 1934 instead of 1969, which someone else metioned IIRC.

Overall Im not too worried, both the book and the movie were good stories IMO.

11. 80Datsun210

There was a character called Tom Kinnear who reminded me a lot of Banacheck (not just the name, but his position), but he died at the end of the book. There was also a Simmons in charge of Sector Seven but I don't think it was intended to be the same guy, even if the writers borrowed the name. They called him the "Old Man" in 1969, and the Simmons in the 2007 movie was not THAT old (and, I think, not as high-up the chain).

I think what I liked most about Ghosts of Yesterday was the characterization of the TFs. How it fits into anything else doesn't really matter to me. Obviously Orci and Kurzman borrowed some ideas from the prequel, or else they and Foster were inspired by the same sources (duh). I liked getting inside Bumblebee's head, things revealing his character, like here he is on an alien planet, in likely or certain danger, and he finds it "interesting" and wants to study it more. And Jazz always having a sense of humor. And Starscream--well, Starscream is just an evil, sneaky little bastard. :)