Ghosts and Hauntings Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trenner Dios, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

Hello. I did a search, and other than an "Unexplained Thread" I wasn't able to find a thread that was this specific.

I would like if anybody that has had any sort of experience with ghosts or hauntings to post it here. This thread is not meant to be about whether ghosts exist or not, but a place where people can discuss their experiences and receive useful feedback on them. If you don't believe in ghosts or you don't have an open mind, that is fine, but please don't post here then. This is for believers, and is not meant to be a breeding ground for arguing over science vs. religion or anything like that.

I myself have not had any concrete experiences, but I am still a strong believer. I have done a lot of research on the subject, and find that is it hard not to believe after everything I've read. I feel that I am most likely not very sensitive to spiritual activity, although I've heard/read that it may be possible to become more attuned (although I still wonder if it's genetic). Sometimes I think that I may even be a deterrent to spirits (perhaps I have strong guardian spirits/angels/whatever you want to call them?)

The one experience I had that sticks out in my mind was at a friend's house. A guy I knew moved into an old house with 3 other male roommates. They told me right away it was haunted, but they weren't really pushing the subject, it got more of a passing mention. I pressed for specifics: My friend was playing guitar in the attic where all their band's equipment was. He felt something brush his hair, and figured it was air or a cobweb, so he brushed at his hair with his hand. It happened a second time, and this time he could tell it was a hand that did it. He said aloud, "Ok I'm going downstairs now", and left the attic. His roommate woke up one night to somebody laying down on top of him. He figured it was my friend, drunk, and attempted to push him off. When he went to push him off, there was nothing there. His hands hit air and the weight disappeared.

Anyway, the first time I visited them, we were sitting in the livingroom. The sound was odd in the house, because when we first enteredn the house and said "Hello?" they said "We're in here", and we walked into the livingroom. They weren't there, they were in the kitchen, but it sounded like they were in the livingroom. Nothing paranormal, but it's important to the story. Anyways, we moved to the livingroom, and were sitting around, chatting. Suddenly, a loud crashing noise came out of nowhere. To me it sounded like a picture frame, or maybe a shelf sliding/falling off the wall and hitting the ground. It was very loud. Because the acoustics of the house were so odd, we couldn't pinpoint the location of the sound. We searched the downstairs, because we knew it was from downstairs and that it must have been something large and obvious. We found nothing, absolutely nothing. There was no explanation, at least none that could be found. It may or may not have been paranormal, but it sure as hell made me wonder.

I hope others have more interesting stories to share than mine.

2. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

lets hope this one doesnt end like the UFO Guy.

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

His grammer and spelling are solid. We're already ahead of said UFO guy.

4. Trenner Dios

Well I don't know how UFO Guy ended up, but I have no intention of creating arguements or belittling people, if that's what he did. I want a nice, clean discussion on hauntings and their possible causes. I want people to share experiences, and if they want it I can give feedback, or hopefully others with more experience/knowledge than I can give it.

I know it makes more sense to post this on a paranormal forum than here, but I found a lot more close-minded and inept people on those types of boards than I have here. Mind as well ask people who I already have at least one great thing in common with.

5. Trenner Dios

It sounds like I should look this guy up. What would I search for if I wanted to find a thread of his? UFOs? I'll give it a try.

6. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

I'm not of the opinion that ghosts are the disembodied souls of the deceased, however, I tend to ascribe to the theory that they might be psychokinetic "imprints". I tend to find that theory a bit more plausable, but I still enjoy good ghost stories. I love folklore and urban legends, regardless of their truthfulness.

There's a very popular local ghost story/urban legend here in Fairfax, VA called "the Bunnyman". Basically, it's about a guy in a bunny suit who goes around killing people with axes and hanging their bodies from a bridge (there's even the popular tourist destination called "Bunnyman Bridge" over in Clifton). You can laugh all you want, but it's actually a very popular and well-known local myth that even made it into some TV series on the Family Channel.

This research paper actually uncovers the whole myth behind it and I found it to be fascinating reading:

http://virginiaghosts.com/bunnyman.php

It's a good look at how urban legends get started. I found it especially interesting because the entire thing started on Guinnea Road which is five minutes from my house.

Basically, back in the 70's when Guinnea was nothing but woods being redeveloped into suburban housing, some nut in a bunny suit was going around terrorizing people with axes and hatchets, telling them they were "trespassing". He threw a hatchet through the windshield of one couple's car while they were in it and was caught trying to chop down the support beam of a house and then threatened the foreman with his axe. His identity was never discovered.

It made the local news in the form of "newsbytes". Basically: "And in local news, a man in a bunnysuit has been terrorizing local citizens with an axe. Now on to the weather..."

And that little bit of "WTF"ness is what spawned the myth of an axe-wielding maniac in a bunny costume killing people and trusting up their corpses.

I love that kinda stuff.

7. Trenner Dios

Oh I definitely believe that some cases are simply the energy imprint left behind by an extremely emotional situation or person: an "energy memory" that replays itself, but has no real intelligence behind it. These are what many people believe to be "ghosts", and are separate from the idea of "spirits". From what I've read, there is no one explanation for all hauntings, and there are many cases where intelligence seems to be indicated; that some hauntings are perpetrated by spirit or souls who are lost or have not felt the need to move on.

There are things that some people have seen that I have no good explanation for. Troll/Elf like things that make me wonder if there really are earth spirits like fairies/gnomes that aren't associated with demons or human spirits. There is almost always some truth to even most mythical beings, so it makes me wonder how the idea of elves and trolls and goblins was ever started. If they do exist, I don't think they exist in the same plane as us, and are more spiritual.

Of course it could just be drugs or mental conditions, but I've read about it so many times from various people who describe these things in the same way. It's too much for me to write them off completely as wackos.

Oh that is very interesting indeed; especially to find that there is some truth behind the legend.
    About 20-30 minutes north of here there is a road called "Old Marsh Road". It's supposedly haunted and friends and I have been there many times. Never experienced much, but it is the creepiest road I have ever been on. Later we found out that the local legend was that of a "Goat Man". There is a so-called makeout couch on the side of the road (which I have seen), and apparently a couple was making out on the couch when the Goatman came and tore them apart. I'd love to see that actual facts that caused that legend to start. Perhaps I should start looking.

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Alphie has a couple of spooky pictures she took when we went on a tour of the Waverly Sanitarium in Kentucky back in 2006.

9. Trenner Dios

Oh sweet, I hope she posts them. I've wanted to take a tour there ever since the Ghost Hunters episode where they investigated the place.

If she posted them in another thread, could someone help me find it?

10. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    While not convinced of ghosts many odd things have happened here.

I have on two occasions heard female voices calling my name. The first time no one was home, the second time there were people there but no one had called for me.

Another time I heard a deep male voice, while I couldn't make out most of what he was saying I did hear some that sounding like "What are you doing?"

Also there is occasional pounding from the attic room when no one is up there.

All of these happen very rarely.

11. Trenner Dios

That is pretty strange, especially since it happens on rare occasions.

A couple of questions: Do you remember if these occurences happened while there were certain people there? Was there high energy or a highly emotional situation going on when it happened?

12. DrSpengler

DrSpengler The Real Ghostbuster

The cases where people claim to have interacted with the ghosts go beyond the theory of psychokinetic imprintation and, as you said, indicate a human intellect behind the ghost. I find a lot of those encounters a bit harder to swallow, though they do leave a nagging doubt in my head about disembodied spirits.

There was an episode of Unsolved Mysteries done some years ago which had an interesting explanation about things such as people hearing mysterious voices calling their names or speaking to them. It had something to do with underground rivers causing a bizarre effect in people when they sleep, which also explains why usually only some people can hear the voices and others can't. The episode used to be on You Tube but got taken down. I wish I could remember more about it since it was pretty interesting.

The one thing I absolutely will never buy are "psychics", which sadly is why I don't watch very many of the haunting specials on TV anymore. I think they're all charlitans who simply have to walk into a house, ham it up and make vague statements like "ohhh the room just got colder, I feel a presence, did something violent happen in here?"

I love spirit photography. I know a lot of them can be tricks with lighting and what-not, but a good ghost photograph taken from time periods before photoshop and photo manipulation can be very creepy. The case of the SS Waterton photograph remains my all-time favorite.

I detest "orbs", though. I think most cases of orbs are utter bullshit. Which is one reason why I love the Ghastly Ghost Archive over at Slightly Warped, as they detest orbs as much as I do. A lot of their photos are sketchy, but they're still a great archive.

The "fairy tale" stories I have a harder time stomaching, but I think they make good reading. A lot of mythical beasts can be explained away through superstitions and scietific/zoological ignorance of the times. Dragons, for instance, are supposedly inspired by Europeans and other foreigners glimpsing crocodiles during trips to Egypt and not knowing what they were looking at. Dinosaur bones were also probably a great source for those myths.

Still, when I was a kid I was absolutely beyond any shadow of a doubt convinced that the Boogeyman lived in my closet, and the legend of things like the Boogeyman go back centuries to things like bogens, bogies and bogmen, so I can't help but feel there might be more to them than my skeptical nature would like to admit.

13. DMK

DMK Flame-Haired Raptor

Funny, I just had a "possibly ghostly" incident on Saturday. I'll copypasta the story because I'm not into typing and retyping the same thing over and over.

PREPARE FOR TL;DR

...I leave and try to find the entrance to the Sagtikos southbound. Can't find it. End up driving into Pilgrim Psychiatric Center (which has been closed down for many years and is slated to be demolished in the next 20 years or so.)

Local lore has it that this place is haunted, like every good shut-down psych center should be. After today, I wholly agree.

Driving through the compound, naturally I feel uneasy. Suddenly my left shoulder starts to cramp and ache. I laugh it off. Start feeling more and more uneasy. Start feeling like someone's in the car with me. NATURALLY I turn around and high tail it out of there at that point, assuming my brain's being stupid.

I finally find the SA southbound. To get there? Yep, gotta drive through the compound again. Deep breath, everything's ok, there's no such thing as haunted places, relax. There's a twinge in my head as I drive through, and I get on the parkway.

I haven't driven twenty feet and I see a dog sitting on the side of the parkway, all alone, on the outskirts of the compound. He's in the shade of the trees, looks exhausted, some sort of beagle mutt. I pull off the parkway and onto the shoulder of the road about twenty feet from him. I get out of the car. I call to him, "Hey puppy, you all alone? Hey puppy, it' ok!" I get two barks.

I walk towards where I saw the dog. I see no dog. I hear another bark, closeby. I walk to the exact spot where the dog was. No dog. I look into the trees, around the bushes - no dog.

No rustling to say there's a dog here. Nothing hiding in the shadows. No noise. No sign the dog was ever there. NO. FREAKING. DOG. I'm one of those survivalist people, I know how to navigate woods, how to spot something in the woods or in the shadows, how to track an animal - there's just nothing. No dog. Dog was never there, apparently. I chuckle again, ok weird string of events, whatever, no such thing as haunted places, no such-

All of a sudden my shoulder cramps up again, HARD, as if something was pulling my arm - mind you my arm's at my side. That twinge in my head turns into a sudden POUNDING headache, and it feels like there's something behind me pushing on my shoulderblades. No such thing... as...?

Deep breath, turn around, walk - QUICKLY - back to the car. Open my door and the door FLIES open like it was caught in the wind, but there was no wind and I wasn't sitting on a hill. OK. NO SUCH THING AS - JUST GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE.

Head down the SA. Get on the Southern State. Headache's receding and all of a sudden my eyes start burning like crazy. I don't even have a cigarette lit. I ignore it, I drive, I get home, soon as I get out of the car my eyes stop burning.

So yeah. I saw no spirits. But ummmmmmmm yeah that was freakish.

14. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Out of my weird experiences

When I was little I remember doing my homework and then feelings someone behind me, I said"Mom? I'm doing my homework" after no response i said mom again, and turned arround, and then saw my grandma, who had been deceased for some time, needless to say I ran scarred shitless to the room my mother was in.

ever since, there was a running theorie in my family that there was someone who could watch into my room yet not enter, and enter only when I wasnt pressent my mom felt it my sis did. and a few family members, some call ed it my guardian.

Also when we went to visit my grandmothers grave there was this tiny detail about my 2 year old sister actually saying hi to every grave she saw....

I really dunno what is there to it, I believe there is limits we havent tested after all. and it be nice to have doc strange awesomeness.

Also UFO guy was rather a petty person who got pissed deleted his post and left in search of proof. After no one took him seriusly for what he described , actually fit with an actual Eye condition-was it the one where you see pouints in your retina?-,

15. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    MM - Sadly the images are on my laptop. :(  So, I'm unable to post them.

But I did have one little encounter there, though quick as it was. If you all have heard of Waverly they have rooms that lead to porches. Well, while walking down the hall the lightening was flashing and causing this really surreal feeling to creep up your spine. I glanced over to my right, just briefly as lightening flashed through a room and saw a man standing there all dressed up in a lab coat. Then it was gone. Most likely just an imprint of times that passed.

Have a creepy encounter from Gettysburg if people are interested. :lol  It's a tad long.

16. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    The only people who were present at the times were either me or family members. When I heard the male voice and the female voice the first time I was the only one in the house. The second time I heard the female voice was when the entire family was home. The poundings have occurred both when I am alone and when the family is here.

Another thing I neglected to mention is that we one time heard a large metal object crashing in a hallway yet nothing was there to make it.

Also the voices have been heard in my room and in my fathers room. The first time I heard the female voice was in my room coming from the window to my left. The second time it came from my fathers room and the male voice came from his room as well.

Hearing voices from nowhere is pretty damn freaky. Unless it actually happens to you you'll have no idea.

17. 04GHOST

04GHOST Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I do not have any ghost stories of my own but keep the stories coming. They are great! Im a huge fan of GHOST HUNTERS on Sci Fi.

18. Shokaract

Shokaract Banned

Unfortunately I haven't had any encounters myself, though not for lack of trying. My friends and I have been discussing going on a "ghost hunting" trip sometime soon, awesome coincidence for this thread to pop up now! I love hearing everybody's stories and hope to have some of my own in the near future.

19. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I've had quite a few experiences myself. Mostly its ghost children who come around, for a little bit of attention and to play with the toys in my apartment. I've gotten used to it so they don't scare me, but they can startle every once in a while. They are just human, after all, or imprints left by humans.

Most of the time you'll feel or hear them, not see them. And watch any animals in the area - behaviors like cats talking to walls, dogs barking at air, looking like they're playing with another animal or person when they're the only one visible, etc, are all things animals do when they encounter spirits.

--Moony

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I've only had one "encounter" I guess you would call it....

Some years ago....probably 15 or so.....I was dating a woman that happened to have 3 children. She had been living with relatives when I met her but was in the process of getting her own place.....

Fast forward about two or three months into the relationship, and she finally got her own place. During this time, I noticed there were problems with her middle child, an 8 year old boy....he was known to do strange stuff from time to time....and had a habit of sleepwalking too...

So she gets her own place, she, her cousin and husband ( how I met the woman was thru them....they were good friends of mine) and myself spent the better part of the day cleaning up and arranging furniture...

Night time comes, her cousin and husband leave for the night, and myself being pooped was getting ready to leave also, but she asked me to stay the night with her and I agreed. She had a small sitting room at the back of the house that had a clear view to the front of the house....we watched t.v. for a while, and both fell asleep on the floor....

About two, maybe three hours after I was asleep, I got this weird feeling that someone was watching me....strong enough to the point that it woke me up...wide awake...I looked over at her and she was still asleep....still having this feeling of being watched, I looked towards the front of the house, and there I saw this tall dark figure completely covered in like a hooded robe type deal just standing there in the center of the front room facing/looking in my direction....I called out her sons name, thinking it was him....but no reply...I say it again....no reply....then all of a sudden, this figure raises it left arm/hand and points at me..

O.K., now I think I'm seeing things, so I sit upright on the floor, rub my eyes and look again....and yes the dark figure was still there "pointing" at me...I go to wake up the woman I was with to show her, although when she wakes up, and I look back towards the figure....its gone...

Being totally creeped out, I leave right then and there and go home....I went back over the next day, and told her what I saw, including her cousin and cousins husband.....this totally freaked them out too....but then, her cousins husband (my friend) tells me some things about the womans son....and I never set foot back in the house again, and stopped seeing the woman too....

About six months later, I hear about something that her son did that stills freaks me out to this day.....never would have seen this coming.....

I took this whole experience as a spirit was warning me of what was to come....thank God I took heed to this warning!