"Ghost of Yesterday" & comic prequel discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by KA, Apr 24, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    so i just finished my copy; i'll start with a breakdown of stuff.

*SPOILERS*

the novel basically shows the story from 2 sides; the humans and the TFs. based on the setup for the movie, we know the following:

- the human reversed engineered a space exploration craft from megs, they attempted a slingshot move around the sun to propel themselves out of the sol system (think star trek) and unexpected entered a wormhole, where they encountered the ark and the nemesis. events ensued where the humans perished but the bots and cons have an idea where to look for megs and the allspark, and human left a good impression on optimus.

- meanwhile on earth, megs was being transported from the arctic bas to nevada to be closer to the allspark research facility, and thx to russian intervention, megs was revived and almost escaped.

meanwhile in the comic, we see that the autobots has touched terra firma 1st, with the cons in tow. the human part of the story mostly touches on the sector seven organization.

so thats the premise so far. i'll continue in the nest post with thoughts and observation.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    the autobots are, for the most part, in spirit to its g1 origin. ratchet was mostly in teh background, but op was being op, ironhide was ironhide, albeit more aggresive, jazz was jazz, a bit of hot rod too, and bumble was bumble, except hes a mute :( 

the deceps on the other hand, have an all new team dynamic. starscream is identifiable to the g1 version, but everybody else feels new. barricade and blackout are the officers, with blackout contesting leadership from SS, frenzy and barricade were grunts.

also, the TFs are basically triplechangers. they have cometary form for space fairing but in atmosphere they have regular alt modes.

sector seven is like this ultra super secret organization, but as it leads to the movie, we see that the organization will be undergoing a change, they will be more susceptible to bureaucracy, whereas their operation was more military prior.

3. Simian

Simian Biscuits and Gravy....???

News Credits:

Actually, from what I gather from "Ghosts" is they can transform into any form they have stored in their memory banks....If I remember correctly it states this when BB transforms into the land based vehicle..Something like BB had a vehicle stored in his memory" which is what he TF into on the "Worm Planet"....

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i believe their non-space fairing mode is restricted in the range of forms it can take, seeing that bumble's alt mode when escaping SS was a land based vehicle (as opposed to, say, a plane.

note also that it mentions that SS non-comer alt mode is akin to megatrons.

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Interesting info KA, between you and alphie talking about this thing I might just have to pick this up yet.

I'm encouraged to hear how the human side is being handled, sounds like it could be quite interesting with all the military/sectorseven stuff.

6. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    I have the comics so no problem there but ┬┐where can I get a copy of "Ghost of Yesterday"? Thanks.

7. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished reading "Ghosts".
    Really enjoyed the dual storylines.
    Great lead-in material along with the comics.
    Really gives a great background on the personalities of all of the bots and cons.

*SPOILER*

It is strange that there is no mention of Brawl in the novel.

8. dragontron88

dragontron88 Your new Lord, & Master

SpoilerI was thinking that too the entire time, thinking where the hell is he

9. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wal-Mart.

10. dragontron88

dragontron88 Your new Lord, & Master

I couldnt find it there, or at Target, in store anyways, you would most likely have better luck online, I had to take a trip to borders.

11. GladiatorPrime

GladiatorPrime working on Rampage P2-V2

Overall....I thought it was good, but could have been better!

12. gunman_sr5

gunman_sr5 Energon Station Comander

News Credits:
    The humans made a great impresion on Prime. No matter the cost to them they helped him. Its all fair considering the way Starscream decieved them as well.

13. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i thought the handling of the human characters were done well, in that their motivations were made clear. based on the novel;
    - prime has a very good impression on the humans
    - starscream wants payback

i really like starscreams treatment in the novel, he was very 3 dimensional. the trick he pulled on the humans was straight out of g1 cartoon (albeit in the g1 cartoon, megs tended to use the indirect approach since SS was an idiot).

so far i find barricades character most interesting since he feels totally new, contemptuous of SS's command but respects protocol.

also, prime owes bonecrusher payback :) 

14. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I got the book and read it all in one day. Yeah, that's how good of a page-turner it was for me. Still need to find the comic version.

15. bumblebee15

bumblebee15 Autobot

I am in the middle of reading this one! I think that it sticks to the G1 feeling of the characters and the only thing I wished was different was Give Bumblebee his voice back! Come On!!!

I can't wait for the movie! Hurry up July 4th!!!

16. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    finished the novel, I can't help but imagine they fight in space ala Superlink :/.

17. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

The book was written badly. That's all I can really say.

18. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I liked it. It sets up the universe of the movie well. And all the characters we know have recognizable personalities, even if they don't look the same, but then I was free to use my imagination and imagine then G1 style if I wanted too, so I mostly did, though Op and Bee kinda went more movie-like in my imagination since I've seen the most pics of them.

19. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    It's a quick read...I went through it in about two hours. It has a little bit of the 'throw in everything but the kitchen sink' feel to it. I like Starscream quite a bit, but most of the other characters left me cold.

20. SocrManiac

SocrManiac TFW2005 Supporter

Get ready for the opposing viewpoint...

When I learned that Alan Dean Foster would be writing these novels, I was rather pleasantly surprised. He's an accomplished science fiction writer, and no stranger to adaptations. He adapted many of the Star Trek animated series into short story form, and did a competent job given many of the poor storylines and dialogue he was given.

That said, "Ghosts of Yesterday" reads like a comic book. He polished it about as well as I'd expect given his background, but the story is far too simple to stretch through the pages. As a result, the novel is somewhat hollow. This "prequel" would be, at most, a quick flashback in the context of what is supposed to be an epic film. There's rarely any tension or grip, as there's little direction for the prequel to go. A more effective route may have been to back up further to the launching of the Allspark and Megatron's subsequent crash and discovery, reverse engineering, etc. At that point, it may have had the content to fill out its length.

As it stands, it could have been a preface or prologue to the actual movie novelization- 15-20 pages- and been just as effective.

Having not seen the movie (obviously), it remains to be seen how necessary this novel is to one's understanding of the reimagined TF universe. It just seems like fluff at this point.