Ghost in the Shell live action movie.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by kronos, Oct 24, 2009.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
  2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    As Anime World Order's Daryle Surat would state unless there acutally shooting it's not happening, and I intend to agree on these live action anime flicks.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    if this ever does get made i hope the do justice to the anime

5. GogDog

News Credits:
    I'd rather see a 3rd season of SAC. :( 

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    No kidding.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I've seen some of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and thought it was pretty cool.

Be interesting to see a live-action adaptation. Just hope it does the anime justice... unlike that God-awful live-action adaptation of Dragonball...

8. GogDog

News Credits:
    Well, I can see at least some of what happened to Dragonball happeneing here too, but probably nowhere near as bad.

I know it's nerdy and uncool to say stuff like "OMG YOU DIDNT FOLLOW THE MANGA/ANIME IT'S RUINED FOREVER!!!!" and for, say, the TF movies, I'm fine with that, but if you make Motoko and the rest of Public Security Section 9 non-Japanese, it removes half of the story, as GitS is as much a political thriller in all incarnations as it is sci-fi/cyber-punk. And who knows, maybe they won't screw with the story too much. It's not like they have to follow a pre-existing story to the letter or anything, but there are certain aspects of the franchise, IMO anyway, that make GitS special, and it's not OMG CYBORGS, HOTT CYBORGS! I just hope that the writers and production team feel the same way. I'm not holding my breath though.

9. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    I have a feeling if it gets made and it is NOT Japanese it will be going down the same road as the Akira live action movie.

10. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    No.

I can't see this being a good adaptation, they're going to dumb it down and ruin all Japanese connections with the series.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This sums up my thoughts as well. I just don't see the point for this movie to be made.

12. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Me too, but this has been in and out of the arena for many years. It'll pass. Plus, when I heard Spielberg was involved I lost the enthusiasm. Cameron is a natural choice and he is a huge fan of the original movie.

13. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Totally agree. Some of the shit that makes you think or GIS's own take on things will really be dumbed the fuck down and in the end it will just be a sexy woman shotting guns at random enemies making it just another cliche movie.

Just because something has a large fan base and quality source material doesn't mean it makes good movie material.

14. GogDog

News Credits:
    This is the writer: Laeta Kalogridis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She did screenplays for Alexander and Pathfinder, both of which were panned for crappy writing. Most reviews for Pathfinder said the movie had no plot whatsoever, and it has like an 11% (0% for Top Critics) on Rotten Tomatoes.

She also did episodes for the old show Birds of Prey, which I have never seen, and the pilot for Bionic Woman, which I did see, and thought was very cheesy, writing wise.

I would like to ask Spielberg two questions:

1. When a writer consistently makes poor screenplays, how does that writer continue to find work?
    2. Now, why would you hire said crappy writer for a franchise you tell us that you adore and want to do justice do?

Sigh. F'n sigh.

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, if this all means that it'll enable funding so we'll see more of the Ghost in the Shell animated series, they can do what they want with a movie I'll most likely not see.

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

It doesen't, GITS prints more then enougth money to bankroll itself and IG are already waiting for Kamiyama's slate to clear before they think about more SAC.

17. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Then "nay!" I say!

I just think this movie is a waste and is pointless no matter who's signed on to make it.

18. Rider Strike

Rider Strike HARD WORK AND GUTS.

Yeah, I'd rather have this put on hold until Jim Cameron can get his hands on it... and I'm all for a 3rd Gig

19. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

IMO Cameron is the only director I would trust not to dumb it down and focus on adequate plot as well as balancing the action.
    Lets face it, though, the actress needs to be stunning because the signature scene of Kusanagi backflipping 'naked' at the opening of the film has to feature - no questions asked.

So which actress? Too hard to answer, I have heard over the years apparent involvement from Michelle Yeoh, Kristanna Loken, Sigourney Weaver, Lucy liu, Sienna whatsherface....

20. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    as good as a live action movie of this could be, it's safe to say that it won't be good. they'll find some way to screw it up and focus on all the technology and action rather than the philosophy.