Ghost Hunters

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Jeremy.B, May 15, 2008.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyone watch this? I am really digging these shows, mostly because they don't usually find something concrete, but when they do it *looks* real. Whether is faked or not it is still pretty cool.

EDIT: No, they do not charge.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've watched a few episodes. I kinda wish there were more real incidents.

3. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Yeah, but at least when they go places and don't find anything concrete it adds, in my mind at least, more of a sense of realism. Unlike the show on A&E (Para-something) with the kid from Penn State who always thinks crap is haunted.

4. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    From what I have heard all the ghost hunters are volunteers. As for the show, I freaking LOVE it. They aren't there to say: "Hey, this place is definitely haunted.", but go instead to try and debunk the story first. What really intrigued me was Waverly Hills Sanatorium. Actually went there myself and well, it definitely made me a somewhat believer of the unknown.

5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

It's not a bad show, but they seem to be able to explain a lot of the stuff they find. Some stuff though is really amazing; the stuff they can't explain. There's footage from one ep where it looks like someone is running down the hall towards the camera and then suddenly turn around and run back the other way, and then disappear. Freaky.

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I like House Hunters. :p 

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

As a comedy it is great stuff to watch, but as a serious "ghost hunting" show it is horrible.

The two original TAPS guys work for Roto-rooter for crying out loud...they're plumber/ghost hunters.

8. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I really like how they are able to debunk many of the sounds, it just makes what they can't much more believable.

9. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    I agree with Alphie. I am sure it is edited for entertainment - heck, it is for profit - but if nothing else, it is entertaining.

10. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I'm a huge fan of the show. Last summer they were in North Adams checking out a house a couple streets over from me. There in this area a lot from what I hear(which makes sense as it would only be about a 3 hour drive or so. It amazes me with some the EVP sounds they've caught that they can't explain. Some of the stuff really raised the hair on the back on my neck, especially in the episode where they investigated this light house in Florida where they caught a shape watching them on the stairwell.

I want to see a full-body apparition like in the beginning of Ghostbusters and have Jay and Grant be like, "Get her!"

11. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    My fave EVP of the show was when they were in an old bed and breakfast. Not exactly sure where though, but the EVP was crazy. Apparently the "voice" when asked: "Is anybody here." actually replied: "I'm here. Where are you."

12. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Yeah I remember that. I think that was the Princess room at this place in NH. That EVP was crazy with how responsive it was.

I can't remember where it was, but there was one place(might have been a hotel in Colorado) where they were in the basement and you could hear the sound of a little girl giggling. It was sooo fucking creepy.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My only problem with the show, and I realized this with the season finale, is that something that makes me think that it's fake is that the camera guys are either really slow, or deliberately slow.

I mean Jason will ask "If you are in this room, please do something, slam a door or something," And the photogs always miss it. You have at least 2-3 camera people, because they cut from Grant to Ja, so there are two, and then you sometimes have one that is just shooting B-Roll. Thus you have the ability to have one guy pointing at a door, and they never do. They always Barely miss what the GHs see. So what is more important, getting footage of Ja and Grant sitting on a couch, or panning around the room just in case something happens?

And I am noticing that more and more, places that are huge tourist attractions are haunted, but people's homes aren't. It's almost like the places that will bring in people (after the GHs prove they are haunted) are the ones that get the highlights, and the Redneck homes are always debunked to lend credibility to the series.

There was a very famous scene in the Alcatras episode where a guy gets up from the ground and starts running away from the camera. And as a compositor, that reaaaaallllyy screamed After Effects or Combustion.

I will continue to watch the show, as I still really enjoy it, but my belief in them is slowly starting to wane, which sux because it was nice to see someone studying this crap with a critical eye, but also an honest one.