GF Review: Exigeyser

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Pravus Prime, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Well, delivered today to my front door was Exkaiser, I pre-ordered him from jrstoyworld.com, and I'm very glad I did. In short, this figure has made my "Best Transformer molds ever" list. Want to know more? Read on!

Pictures are always nice to have; I haven't taken any, but with a little clickwork, you should be able to find pics of him about on the 'net. In addition to the figure, his force chip, he comes with the standard bio card, instructions, and a cardboard display stand of the Rumble drones.

Anywho, this is a deluxe figure (Hey, call it what they will, but I think everyone here knows it's a deluxe. :D  ), an "upgraded" form of Excillian, but to me, they're two very different characters. Where Excillian was Hot Rod circa 2005, Exkaiser (Or Exigeyser, as the box calls him, I personally prefer the 'kaiser' connotation.) Exkaiser is more like Backpacks (Scattorshots) older and bigger brother.

In vehicle mode, he's an APC, or perhaps SWAT truck; either way, he's a tough tankish vehicle. Mounted on his roof is a duel turret system, with a swivel (Left-Right) to the entire turret system, and additional swivels (up-down) on each cannon, allowing you to aim the weapons at any angle above or in line with the turret. Between the cannons is the force chip gimmick, and inserting his Autobot (more on that later) Force Chip causes the top pannels of the cannons to pop up, and reveal weapons (missles or energy weapons; ala Energon Shockblast) painted onto the top panels. Additionally, you can swing out the front 'bumper' to reveal two more cannons, and another row of weapons (missles or energy weapons), this time unpainted for even more firepower.

On the drivers side roof (left-hand drive) is the new Vanguard Autobot symbol, an Autobot symbol in front and on top of a large V, which IMHO, is very cool and tough looking. Colors are blue-gray, black, red, and silver. He's got large black plastic wheels, with some treading to them, and moves very well along most surfaces.

Though we've seen pics of the robot mode sword in a holder on the left side of the vehicle, that's not where it goes, instead it goes between the robot mode legs, and the hilt emerges in the end of the vehicle, giving a batmoble like rocket thruster to the rear end.

On each side, below where people would enter/exit, is a minicon hardpoint, though with the low point, even with the high vehicle ground clearance, you can't put a large minicon on them in vehicle mode. Also, if you look through the front "windshield", you can see the robot mode head looking out. I always liked a little touch like that, not obtrusive, but a neat touch.

Transformation. Different than I expected, not too simple, but far from complicated. He's mostly stretch the components out (He pegs together into a secure vehicle mode very well), move the turret out and up, and similiar to Excillians (Hot Shot) TF from that point.

Robot mode. People have made fun of his robot mode, as he's smaller in overall size than Excillian. While that's true, most of the difference comes from Excillians longer legs. Personally, I prefer Exkaisers mode by far, he's got a great blend of Transformer, Gundom, and Teknoman (Tekkaman) all rolled up into one. He's a very well proportioned robot, and well colored; he's pretty much the same colors as Excillian, red, black, yellow, silver, and blue-gray. His lone Vanguard Autobot emblem isn't visible looking at him from the front, it's on the back of his left shoulder, upside down.

Once again, he's been unfavorably compared to Excillian because he doesn't have as many ball an socket joints, but really, there's not much loss there. Because of his transformation, ball and sockets wouldn't work very well at the elbows, and that's the only point that he seems to be lacking in really. He's got 15 points of articulation (2 in each shoulder, two in each hip for 8, swivel elbows and knees [foward-back] for another 4, toes, another 2, and neck.), which is pretty good. He's also got Vector Prime "skirt" hip covers that move with the legs. A little note about them. When transforming back to vehicle mode, be sure to flip them up to get the figure fully back into vehicle mode, so it all fits together nicely and pegs into one solid vehicle mode. On each outer forearm are the minicon hardpoints.

As mentioned, and as you've probably seen in the pics, he's got a short sword. And you can do pretty much whatever you want with it. He's got a sheath in his right leg if you don't want to use it, he can hold it in either hand, and there's an attachment point so that he can have a wrist blade as well in either hand.

His turret can be "undeployed" and just sit on his back, like a jetpack, or can be swiveled up like Scattorshot to have shoulder cannons. The Force Chip action is the same, and here the weapons pod pop up behind and beside his head. However, that's where the fun starts, as this guy is armed to the teeth with these weapon pods. A panel on each shoulder can swing down, revealing another two painted pods, panels on his legs revolve around to reveal another two painted pods, and you can once again extend the bumper to reveal the cannons and pods there as well, though the last one there would only fire up. (14 individual on each leg, 15 on each shoulder, 8 on each shoulder cannon, and 4 on each "bumper", for a grand total of 82 missles or 82 energy emmitters!)

His Force Chip is a dedicated Autobot chip, but interestingly, it's a remold. Of GF Starscreams. That's right, it's GF Starscreams, but with an Autobot emblem rather than a Decepticon emblem in the middle.

There are some 'cons to the figure, though they're small. Additional swivels to the arms would've eliminated any missing articulation from the Ball joins of Excillian, which would've been nice to keep this guy really articulated and fun. On mine, the head swivel is rather loose, and already the yellow paint is scratching on his crotch where his legs meet it in vehicle mode.

Those are minor complaints, and all really easy for me to live with, and there is the pro of not being so superarticulated and ball jointed up the wazoo, he's very, very stable and solid. Overall, I think this is a fantastic figure, and is easilly among my favorites of both the line and in Transformers as a whole. In fact, he's probably my second favorite GF figure, behind the devious Noisemaze. (If they aren't tied!)

When I saw this figure, I knew I had to get him; I wasn't going to be waiting for the Cybertron version, and I'm very glad I didn't, he's a lot of fun, very cool looking, and overall a pleasing figure, well worth the 25 or so bucks I paid for him.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    his force chip isnt a remold of anyones. he, like the rest of the vanguard team have Cybertron/Seibertron force chips. Autobots have the autobot symbol on theirs, and the Decepticons have decepticon symbols on theirs..

3. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    yeah the problems that so few figures have had seibertron chips that its hard to see the differences.
    originally, starscream, jackshot, and jetfire had seibertron chips - the same outer chip with their faction in the center. exigeyser, backgild, and first gunner all have this chip design as well.

4. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I ordered him a few days ago, hopefully I will be seeing him soon. I also knew I just had to get him, I'll wait for cybertron for the other vanguard members.

Since their remolding Hot Shot as a red Hot Rod type paint scheme, don't you guys thing Exigeyser would look awesome with a full blown Rodimus Treatment?

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
  6. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How's shoulder articulation?

7. Demaar

Demaar Banned

Better than Exillion's, if you ask me... the shoulders are less wide so you can bend them upward and rotate them with ease, unlike Exillion where the shoulder would hit the fin/spoiler, if that makes sense.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:

Two points in each shoulder, allowing the arm to swing in/out and forward/back, which makes it pretty good. As mentioned, it is better than Excillians, and feels more like a shoulder point, and doesn't have a "backpack" like Excillian has to get in the way either.

In addition, there's the transforming mechanism, which does add a little extra articulation. Exigeyser can shrug. :lol 

9. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exillion can shrug too. Well, now that I know he has decent shoulder articulation, I am going to have a hard time waiting for the Hasbro version.

10. Demaar

Demaar Banned

Well, apparently Primus will be showing up in the series about 4 or 5 episodes after the Vanguard team, and he's coming out autumn next year... that means the Vanguard team might be out next summer... or early next year?

11. Cobra_Commander

Cobra_Commander Master of tactics TFW2005 Supporter

wht we finally get a primus toy this should be sweet, i only got pics of im in simon's transfomer ultimate guide. He looked kool there to

12. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah this guys is how upgrade's should be done: all new mold, completely new alt mode, but recognisibly the same robot, and lots more firepower.

There isn't much less useful articulation: the elbows lose a bit, but the shoulders gain almost as much as the Elbows lose

13. Demaar

Demaar Banned

Exactly. The articulation that is lost is replaced by articulation that is far more useful...
    Exillion is hard to do many dynamic poses with because of how his hip joints work, but Exigeyser those problems are long gone.

14. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

"His Force Chip is a dedicated Autobot chip, but interestingly, it's a remold. Of GF Starscreams. That's right, it's GF Starscreams, but with an Autobot emblem rather than a Decepticon emblem in the middle. "

is it the same as dreadlocks chip?

15. useless

Yep, its the standard Cybertron/Autobot chip, which is actaully a bit obscure as only 3 figures have had it prior to the Vangaurd Team and IIRC all of them have had different chips substiuted in the Hasbro Versions.

16. smangerbot

really? what did the hasbro ones look like?

17. useless

Unlike Galaxy Force Jackshot and Dreadrock, Cybertron Overhaul has the Animators/Jungle Planet chip and Cybertron Jetfire has the Earth Chip, Longrack's chip hasn't been seen, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't have the Earth chip in Cybertron.

Quite Why Hasbro seems to be Retconing the Basic Autobot Chip out of the line is unexplained, though its quite possible they intend it to represent the Vangaurd team exclusively.

18. smangerbot

hmm, unless they change it in the show too that's a bit lame. but i always thought dreadlock should have an earth chip.

19. Demaar

Demaar Banned

Nup, chips are the same in the show from what I've seen. I think it's just something they're doing to differentiate the Vanguard team as already stated.

20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Longrack and Buzzsaw have the Cybertron chips. Runamuck has an Earth chip, Blurr a Speed chip. IIRC, same chips as the Japanese releases.

I don't know the reason for Hasbro delaying the Cybertron chips, perhaps they felt they didn't fit so well, especially for say, Jetfire. Overhaul's chip is the same as the GF versions, though, unlike a lot of people seem to believe. At least, one version of Jackshot. The first runs were packed with a Cybertron chip. As the show neared the Animatros arc, he began to come packed with a Jungle chip.