Getting out of the hobby?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by devastator137, Sep 3, 2008.

1. devastator137

devastator137 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I'm not to sure if this topic fits here but since it's about toys, I figure I'd put it here. So, I've been thinking lately about getting out of the transformer collecting hobby. Don't get me wrong, I still love transformers and will keep some sentimental stuff, but I've been thinking that it's time to move on with my life, plus some other priorities have popped up (responsibility sucks, lol). I've been struggling with this decision for a while now. I've had the pleasure of meeting alot of cool people on here via trades, buying and selling. I know it's not something I will be looking forward to but is guess I have to do what I have to do. Thanks everyone for listening.

2. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Funny, I have been thinking the same thing. I am 30, newly married, new promotion to senior leadership at my corporation and it just seems that TF's have less and less time in my life. I love all 346 TF's in my collection, but same as you, I am finding other priorities taking precedence. I want to add to my 401k and take my wife to all of the 'round the world places she wants to go and the quickest way to have more money is to stop buying "as many" TF's. I think that as we get older, we tend to look at the things that are clogging up our time and for me it's TF's and I can think of other things I can spend time on or with like Jesus, my wife and planning for my future. Good luck on your endeavours and maybe the answer is to collect less instead of quitting altogether! ;) 

3. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    You'll all be back. Bet.

4. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say that I am leaving, just focusing on some other things. There is a time and a place for every season. For me this season requires more focus in other areas.

5. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

one of us one of us ONE OF US ONE OF US!!!!

6. unicron_is_god

unicron_is_god Banned

just remember...if you are getting out i will be the first to offer to take all those seekers off your hands!

7. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I have been thinking about this too. I think I will sell everything I have with teh exception of my Animated and my Classics/Universe and MPs. So all my Binaltechs, Galaxy Force, Titaniums, TFCC Astrotrain, TFCC Freebees(All 4 so far) and much more. I think I will put them up on Craigs List very soon.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure why people need to make a big stink about it. Buy what you want, enjoy what you can of the hobby. Saying to yourself that your stopping or lightening your interest is not "moving on". I would say practically all of us go through times where we are very interested and times when we aren't so much, but as long as we just keep enjoying the parts of it we like, then great, and I think that's how it should be.

9. Molini

Molini spawn of a glitch TFW2005 Supporter

Keep what cannot be given away (sentimental value, ridiculously rare, etc.) part with whatever you can live without. I understand what you're going through. Starting a family aint no joke and prioritizing the things in your life with more value are perfectly normal.

I will eventually sell some of my things when the time comes, I know I will never part with the following however: My G1 reissue metal Predaking, MP01,MP05 and U.S Masterpiece Starscream, G1 dinobots collection, G1 1985 Constructicons/Devastator, G1 Aerial bots/Superion, Henkei Megatron, Henkei Prime Classics Ultra Magnus with City Commander armor and Classics Commemoritive edition Soundwave.

I don't see myself parting with any of those. Everything else I can live without from the TF lines at this point from my collection. That's not to say I might not buy something great from time to time, Girlfriends/Wives will get gifts on occasion. Hell that's how I got my reissue Predaking.

Hobbies are just things we enjoy, they're not life only part of life. Family and loved ones should never be neglected over any hobby.

Take care man.

10. lazerous8506

lazerous8506 Seacon

a friend of mine recently "gave up" the hobby and sold off all of his collection. a day hasnt past that he doesnt say that he regrets it.
    id say dont collect anymore but keep hold of everything you have cos that way you will never really regret it.
    if you ever wanted to collect them again, you dont have to start from scratch!