Getting my Wisdom teeth out Yay!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaraRex2.0, Feb 3, 2009.

1. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Or not yay. I wanna hear from everyone how it was for you going through with this, any horror story or inspiration would be cool. I’m a little nervous but it’s not for another month, I have plenty of time to enjoy peanuts and plastic crack. Afterwards it’ll be meds and JELLO!!!!

DX<

2. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

It's not so much the pain,as it is the sound of the bones breaking when they come out.

3. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

I had all 4 taken out during the same time. I was under so didnt remember the whole procedure... lol. I lived off of liquids for the 1st week or so and after that just gradually went back to normal. I did however have that numbing feeling around my lower jaw for about 2-3 months. Just relax and take it easy!

** Youll end up looking like a family guy character for awhile... ***

4. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    congrads buddy enjoy the yogurt

5. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Had all 4 and 2 extra teeth all removed at once. I don't remember a thing about the operation, but I do remember what it felt like when the pain meds stopped working. Holy hell. After about 2 weeks of drinking broth most of the pain was gone and then the worst thing in my life happened. I got dry socket. I thought the pain after the surgery was bad, it didn't hold a candle to that pain. Whatever you do, follow the instructions they give you to the letter.

All 4 of mine were bony impactions though so it's worse than the norm.

But yeah, swelled up like a pumpkin and basicaly wanted to die. It didn't help that I apparentely can't take Vicodin. Nothing like finding that out when your whole mouth is stitched up and then having to spew.

6. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Man sounds unfun.

All four of mine came in straight and painlessly, didn't even know til my dentist told me. So I still have them.

I did have minor oral surgery on my tongue once. The following couple of weeks sucked. Couldn't talk or eat anything solid, could barely open my mouth really. The slightest movement of my tongue sent pain shooting through my head (harder then I had thought to NEVER move your tongue during the day). Still I'm not sure how that compares to bone/teeth pain.

7. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

When I had mine taking out it went very well. I was put under, so I don't remember anything!!!

I was pissed that they wouldn't let me keep my teeth though. Some crap about them being biological waste or some such.

I remember I was so out of it that when my g/f came over and gave me a plant I forgot about it. Like 10 days latter I asked my mom 'so why are you letting this plant die?? Why aren't you watering it?' She said 'Uh, thats your plant, remember your g/f gave it to you'

hehehehehehe

8. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    When I got one of my wisdom teeth removed because of an infection it was when I was low on money. So, I had to go to a cheap doc to get it removed. BAD MISTAKE. He had numbed the area, but started chatting with the nurses. By the time he came around to me, the meds had worn off. Lets just say feeling a scalpel as it slices through your skin is not an experience I want to relive. Wow, it hurt.

9. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Only had three. Had them pulled and had to work the next day.

10. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Had all four of mine pulled, but I was completely under.

One of my stitches on top came open when I was asleep and I had braces at the time. I woke up to a mouth full of blood that coagulated around my braces.

Think about that the next time you eat.

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I had the two from the right side removed since it was causing me pain. They didn't put me under for it either. Only topical anaesthetics.

The worst part of it? Watching the dentist approach me with tools of torture. They had to shatter/drill apart the lower one because it was side impacted.

Let me tell you the pain wasn't so horrific as much as knowing what they were doing.

Afterwards I went home and during the first night one of the gums in the lower area started bleeding profusely. So I called the dentist in the middle of the night and he told me to put a tea bag there to stop the bleeding.

Apparently the enzymes in the tea help stop the bleeding.

I still have the two wisdom teeth on my left side though and the bottom one is side impacted. Went to the dentist yesterday and they said the earlier they come out the better. :banghead: 

12. DaraRex2.0

I'm looking forward to getting this over and done with, I imagine I'll feel better once I've healed and they're out of my jaws. I still can't get over I'm paying so much to have them butcher my gums DX<

Bad piercing?

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Eesh... the very thought of having wisdom teeth pulled is enough to give me nightmares. If I had my choice, I'd rather be mauled to death by Barricade than to have to go through all that...

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Don't be a puss. Save all your Darvocets and just use Motrin.

Then go drinking and eat ALL OF THEM.

*Actually, I should probably get in the habit of not saying things like that. So don't do that.

15. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    They just gave me Vicodin. Which I ended up barely taking. Didn't like the feeling it gave me. Maybe because I can't drink. I ended up "giving" them to my co-worker.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  16. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I had all four of mine taken out under general anesthesia. I remember jack and shite about that day.

17. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I can honestly say that getting my wisdom teeth removed was the most enjoyable experience I've ever had at a dentist.

18. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Ha, no I was younger. The frenulum of my tongue (that connective tissue that goes from the bottom of your mouth to your tongue) was too short (technically called ankyloglossia). So they cut it then sew it to a new place (essentially making the tongue "longer").

The area was numbed but I could still feel it in a weird non-painless way. Until later on, then it hurt like a bastard for weeks.

19. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    No horror stories from my personal experience. I had all four taken out on 3 separate occasions (kind of an as needed basis). The last one was probably the worst (and it wasn't even that bad). I had an oral surgeon do the last one while I was still in school (free is free... right?). As I knew what his clinical technique was, I doped up on pain killers before going to see him.

Now if you want some real horror stories, I can give you some of those from what I get to see day to day. But trust me... sometimes the less you really know, the better it is. Once it is all over and they are all out, you will never have to worry about doing it again. And you generally get some kick-ass drugs, so being high is cool... right?

How long did he talk to the girls for? Even the crappy anesthetic should last at least 30 minutes, unless your metabolism is on the high side

I used to take that stand myself, but now my opinion is there has to be a benefit to taking them out. My wife has one impacted on its side that the oral surgeon said he would not touch with a 10 foot pole due to the risk of causing permanent nerve damage. If the gums are healthy and the adjacent teeth are not being affected... leave them be.

That is poor advice man. At least let him know there is a pretty good street market for those kinds of things so he can... wait... I think I've said too much.

20. DaraRex2.0

I heard of another way they come in is sorta upside down, I'd say this was baloney but I don't know. Wisdom teeth are crazy freaks! I hope never to hear the sound of a dentists drill ever-EVER AGAIN!

I have an option. A slim one, as my jaws are aching right now.