getting my niece started in graphic novels

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by jorod74, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my niece is almost 16, she "discovered' anime on her own and she cam to me wanting to borrow what few graphic novels i have stashed away.

last summer, she read my copies of "The Crow", "Dark Knight Returns", and "Arkham Asylum".

but i wanted to help her expand her horizons.
    i came across a list that had some books i have read but don't own and others that even i am willing to give a read.

i was wondering if you had any opinions on any of the books in that list that i might get her for her birthday next month.

27 Amazing Graphic Novels For Readers New To The Genre

2. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Sandman is pretty good, starting with vol.1, Preludes and Nocturnes. There's always Batman: Dark Knight Returns as well.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'm pretty ashamed to admit that i've only got round to Maus and Contract with God out of those, althougth there are a few more that are either already in my reading pile (Incal, Martha Washington) or likely to be in my next couple of Amazon Orders (Pride of Baghdad, Asterios Polyp, Promethea, We3).

Maus should be required reading for everybody, no argument. Contract With God is a must if your interested in Eisner or the comics medium in general, but not sure if i'd recommend it as an early read for an 18 year old coming in off the back of stuff like The Crow and DKR.

I doubt you can go far wrong with that list thougth. Everything i've heard of (which is all but 4) is either critically rated, well recived on the interwebs or both. We3 and Martha Washington are the easy connections to the stuff she has already read since they have the same writers as Arkham and DKR respectively.