Getting Movie TF's Closer to Scale - What size class would they be?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Polenicus, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    Now, we all know it is basically impossible to get all the toys perfectly in scale with each other. The variances in size of the real world vehicles would mean you'd have toys in the same size class widly varying in size (And theoretically value).

However, it seems to me the toys could have been redistributed to be closer to their true size scaling. This wasn't done because Hasbro knows perfectly well how many Leader, Voyager and Deluxe size toys will sell, and some toys simply WON'T sell at a Leader price point. But it could be a fun exercise anyway.

So, let's set the mark with Optimus and Megatron at the Leader size class, and scale around that.

Barricade, Bumblebee and Jazz: These three are the proper size class to be closest in scale. Nothing to change here.

Brawl, Bonecrusher, Wreckage, Scorponok: Of all of these, SCORPONOK is surprisingly pretty close to the right size. The rest should all be Leader-class (And I've heard of a Leader-class Brawl, which I desperately hope is true)

Ironhide and Ratchet: Voyager is about as close as you'll get these two. Ratchet is too big, and Ironhide is too small, but there's just no way to get the scaling PERFECT.

Starscream: Starscream should be a Leader-class, and a large one at that. Most of the extra bulk of the jet mode goes into his shoulders, but robot mode should still be at LEAST as big as Op and Megs, if not bigger. Still out of scale, but about the best you can do.

Blackout: The most wildly out-of-scale fig. He really should have been a Supreme. The Supreme class would have put him closest to being in-scale, and honestly I wish they had chosen him for the Supreme treatment rather than Bumblebee. Oh well, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll release a Supreme version.

Am I off the mark on any of these? Some of them they obviously can't do... SIX Leader-class and a Supreme or two and only two Voyagers is pretty top-heavy for a toyline, and it puts the biggest price points firmly dominated by the less-popular Decepticons, so it's understandible why they didn't do that. Still, nice to dream.

2. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Blackout should have at least been leader-class. Deluxe Scorponok is WAY too big, he should have been a scout. And Bonecrusher, as fricken awesome as he is, should have been a Voyager.

3. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    I wonder how accurate the rumors are for that Voyager BC and Leader SS that we've been hearing about from Takara. I REALLY hope that those rumors turn out to be true, especially since I'm going to Japan for a year starting at the end of July! It would definitely make up for all the IDW comics I'm not gonna be able to read while I'm there . . .

4. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I agree with you on all points. Though I would still accept a Voyager sized Bonecrusher in place of a Leader size if I had to. Anything would be better than a Deluxe. But yeah, a Supreme sized Blackout would really be something.

Who knows, maybe if enough people keep bringing up that they want larger versions of certain characters that are more in scale with each other, it might make a difference.

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Why do Bonecrusher and Brawl keep getting overexaggerated in terms of size? They're both the same height in bot mode and only a few feet bigger then Ratchet and Ironhide, both of whom are pretty big themselves.

Now if I were deciding the scale on these, I would do it as such:

Scorponok: Basic sized, but packed with Blackout so his class wouldn't really matter.

Jazz, BB, Barricade: All deluxes, though BB and 'cade would have been bigger deluxes and Jazz slightly smaller. And Frenzy would have been a more detailed transforming, minicon sized piece of Barricade.

Ironhide, Ratchet: Voyagers as is, but Ironhide would get a slight size boost. The Topkick is a BIG ass pickup.

Brawl, Bonecrusher and Prime(Yes I said Prime): Mega or Ultra or whatever the next class up from Voyager is. They're each about 28ish ft tall with similarly sized Alt modes. Both Brawl and Bonecrusher are too cool to be simple deluxes, and getting Prime between Voyager and Leader would let him be more complex without the need for massive body chunks of electronics and spare kibble.

Megs, SS, Blackout: Leaders, all of them. Each one tops 30 ft with Blackout beating Megs by about 2-3 feet or so. And Blackout would come with a basic-or-smaller Scorponok that transformed into a piece of Blackout and could be spring launched apart from both modes. And of course they could throw in the 'unecessarily out of place but obligitory Leader Prime' just for the heck of it.