Getting Motivated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leadfoot, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

I was just wondering if anyone had any unique insight or strategy as to how to get motivated to do something that you don't want to do. I mean, procrastination is really a killer for some people. How do you overcome it? Life is full of things you don't want to do, but must. And even more difficult, things you don't have to do, but really, really should.

I used to be in peak cardio condition a couple of years ago. I would do at least 45 minutes of cardio on a stair climber or elliptical every single day, I'm talking seven days a week and not even taking holidays off. But that was just a baseline for what I did. In addition to that and lifting weights, I rarely missed a kickboxing lesson, which was super intense cardio activity for an hour. Many times I'd spar for 30 minutes to an hour even after the lesson. For one thing, I was in college and had more than enough time on my hands to do all this stuff, and for another, I was a few years younger than I am now. For years I've done minimal cardio while pumping up and adding mass.

The other day I got on my standard cardio machine and figured I'd crank out a session like old times. I was gasping, wheezing and slowing down unacceptably - and it only took ten minutes for me to realize the crushing reality, that me a couple of years ago could kick me today's ass. Holding down a job and paying bills sucks a lot of life out of me, but I still think I could recover at least some of that.

So, does anyone have any particular motivation-based advice?

2. Darkhawk79

Darkhawk79 TFWM SUCK!!!!!

News Credits:
    Let me get back to you on this......

Just kidding man, I don't know but I completely understand where you are coming from. I used to be active and play many sports and would always take care of what I needed to no matter what, now I do things when it's convient and I really hate that I've gotten like this so yeah and hints or help would be great

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'm right there with you. I used to do 9-hour shifts at the airport authority as the electric shop's gopher, which basically meant "Hey you! Take the truck to the far end of the airport, load the spare 200+ pound sign into the back, and drive it to so-and-so taxiway and mount it." Each day of work was a workout and I was doing weight watchers at the same time. I was at like 160 pounds and had some pretty good upper body strength.

Now...fuuuuuck. Old me could kick new me's ass in a heartbeat. I'm stuck in a lab test environment these days and my evenings are eaten up taking care of my babygirl and bills and the house and shit.

So, yeah, if you get a good answer on this, let me know, 'cuz I'd love to know too. :lol 

I'll tell you one thing that DID get me motivated to get back on weight watchers was a close call my Dad had with his heart. After hearing that, I was like "fuck. Time to tone down the burgers." Lost 30 pounds on this plan so far.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well... it's all a part of growing up. If I wasn't at an office all day, I might workout more but the simple fact is work is important and my priorities shifted. Now, my motivation for doing what I can to still stay in shape is probably centered around two things- I like to eat, and in general like to be healthy for both me and my family. Just don't be ashamed of the changes you have to make in your life. It sounds like you did way more then it takes to simply stay in shape before, so as long as your in a career that you like, just stay healthy but don't worry about what your younger self could do. My younger self may have been in better shape at times, but he was also an idiot in a lot of ways.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    get the "lead" out?

see what i did there?
    back to the corner i go...

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to agree, my muscles left a year ago:lol .

Maybe get a support group going? In college, it was easy rounding up a group of guys to work out because the number one thing on our mind was vagina. Your not getting much Vagina with a gut hanging over your pants so the gym was a must everyday.

Of course... the gym was a small walk from the apartment and it was full of hot women, so that was a bonus. I run around Town Lake nowadays but these mothers don't have what the college women have:lol . Plus, Austin's slogan is "Keep Austin Weird" and plenty of guys take that to the extreme. Just today I saw several guys running shirtless with tramp stamps and another guy bike riding in a G string. I know its hot but not that hot:lol 

Hard to stay motivated but you have to push yourself. if you can't get a group of guys, pay yourself to run. Every mile is worth ______, maybe that would help? I'm running 3 times a week but hopefully i'll be able to increase that once I get in better shape.

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

First of all OWAT, that is a problem that will I think eventually be addressed in workplaces everywhere, and I think whomever has the investing capital to get it started is going to make a whole lot of money. A lot of companies make room and get equipment for their employees to stay in shape, which really makes better sense for everybody in the long run. Workers who get a chance to let off steam and exercise during their breaks will be more productive, healthier and focused. But in the mean time, it sure is a bitch. I totally relate to where you're coming from.

I hear what you're saying, and I understand I may never be in "fighting shape" again, but I'll take your advice and try to compensate for the lack of training in other ways.

Pretty good.

These are some good ideas. I particularly like the support group thing. While me and my buddies may not be able to match up our schedules for 2 hour long workouts anymore, we could at least meet up each week for an hour or so to compare notes.

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I was in the military for 17 years. I hated working out...still do. The fact that you have to always do it to maintain it sucks. When I got out, I stopped. My waistline is getting bigger and if I tried to run a block I'd probably keel over.

But you know what? I'm not sore, sweaty, or tired all the time. It's fine if you like it, but if you don't, why spend so much time doing something you hate?