getting into the comics - help

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by rekindled_passion, Jul 1, 2007.

1. rekindled_passion

rekindled_passion Active Member

first off, im in the UK and i have browsing the local boarders/watersons/forbiddenplanet and a local comic book shop.

Now im interested in reading some of the comics in the TF world. However im a little picky about what artwork i read, for example i really don't like the "dot-matrix" printing that appears in almost all the graphic novels i have stumbled across. And this is what puts me off buying any of the comics i have found. I understand that this type of artwork is a re-print of the issues from "way back when", even spidey had this type of printing at some point.

so my question to the community is: Can you recomend any particular artists, writers and issue numbers to pick up and jump in? additionally who are the best retailers for getting hold of such issues?

cheers

2. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

three letters.... I D W

3. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

To be honest, I'd take the 'classic' Marvel era in the form of the Titan reprints.
    The problem with that is that in order to enjoy them you have to be 'in tune' with comics' styles of the 80's.
    As you're probably not so inclined, I'd say start with the IDW series. It's far too quick a read to be really enjoyable for me, but the art is good and playing "catch-up" should be pretty easy for you as it's so recent.

4. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

The Best of Op vs. Megs trade shows off a lot of different art styles from various TF comic book eras (Marvel, Dreamwave, IDW in various continuities) kind of a test drive to see which one you might like best and some cool stories too. That might be a place to start. As for where to get it, just use Amazon.com.uk.

5. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Since you don't really like the dot matrix style artwork, 80s comics are out of the question for you, ay? Then I agree that IDW is best place to start. Start of with Infiltration, then get Stormbringer, Escalation and the Spotlights. Also I reccomedn getting the War Within, even though, it is not set in the current IDW continuity.

6. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

I'd seriously recommend the reprints of the US Marvel series (there were a few stinkers, but otherwise a solid read - especially after Furman and Wildman got going. DW's The War Within are also must reads, as is their More Than Meets The Eye mini (many did not like - I loved it). After that, IDW.

I know what you're saying about print quality, but to really get a good ground here you're going to have to deal with it in some cases.

7. rekindled_passion

rekindled_passion Active Member

cheers for the advice guys ill take a look, seems like the concensus so far is IDW and their work

8. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Try to get everything that Don Figueroa has drawn. He is the best Transformers artist you'll ever see.

Though not all of these are from Don, IDW's Infiltration, Beast Wars The Gathering, Spotlights and Escalation are really great.

If you can get Dreamwave's G1 comics, they also have good art and good stories.