Customs: Getting into Airbrushing

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by funkmonkey007, May 7, 2017.

1. funkmonkey007

funkmonkey007 Tokusatsu or bust

I've customised a few figures, and I've found that priming my figures before painting them is deifinitely the next step for improving the quality of my customs. As a result, I've bought an airbrush and I already have an assortment of tamiya paints. I was hoping this thread could tell me what thin (preferably cheap) primers/thinners for an airbrush are out there.

Would just a base coat of any solid colour work as a prime coat?

Also, what kind of thinner should I be using with tamiya acrylics?

Lastly, what sort of paint booth setup do you guys use? What would you recommend?

Anything helps guys, thanks.

2. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I use a sandable surface primer for pretty much everything now:
    Amazon.com: Vallejo USN Light Ghost Grey Primer Acrylic Polyurethane, 60ml: Toys & Games

The gray is awesome, but I also use white and black.

For thinning, you can get a flow enhancer fluid or even just an airbrush thinner fluid.
    Keep the air running if you're using dual action, or have a cleaner nearby. When I brush, I usually try to have everything lined up beforehand so I don't break stride long enough for any paint to set in the nozzle (I use an Iwata-Medea gravity feed HP+C, so it's a pretty good workhorse).
    For a station, I use a foam sheet with alligator clips on kabob sticks poked into to hold my pieces. I also have cardboard around the area to prevent unwanted overspray. Another thing I use is a lazy Susan (kitchen thing that is pretty much a spinning plate) to spray larger pieces on.

• Like Like x 3
  3. DarkProwler

DarkProwler Well-Known Member

I use those same primers. Vallejo makes some great primers and paints for airbrushing.

I built my own spray booth out of foam board and duct tape. Inside that, I use a Tamiya paint stand with tooth picks pushed through screw holes to hold the pieces. I need to get some ventilation built into the booth, but it works for me.

• Like Like x 1