Getting into a new hobby: Photography

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyjos, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Well there is one thing I've noticed that online places took up a good bit of my time now these days and I've had a camera that's sat around [I thought it was dead when I dropped it and apparently it was just me] but still works really well. So now I've decided literally to get away from the computer and do something else.....so the camera is ready and all I have to do is go out to get some pictures done rather than sit around.

I'm going to be getting into Photography, got a ton of figures plus I'll be walking around doing some pics as well [Just of stuff around here] with the weather now being Snow today which will prob hang around for the next week I figure now is as best a time to get into doing some pictures.

Anyone got any good photography tips? [other than the basics, keep the camera level, plenty of light for indoor pictures, focus on the subject] Mostly I'll be focusing on either figures or outdoor related stuff. Maybe some night time pics I've been meaning to get some pictures of the Fed Ex Jets when they fly low over our area [I live under the glide path,fed ex wakes me up on a daily basis around 3am 4am]

Just gonna be getting out and taking Pictures....

So I figure this might be the least expensive hobby I can go into using just my $40 camera.

2. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

i'd suggest getting a dslr camera if you're gonna get into photography.

3. NexusZero

NexusZero 強度の、勇気の愛、平和。

Yes!

I'm taking photography for a class at school, it's pretty awesome, I have a cheap SiCam, but it takes pretty good pictures for only being $40.

4. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    This is actually one of my big passions, so hopefully I can offer some help here!

First of all, there are two great threads right here on these forums that can help out a lot.

Basic Photography Tips

Photography Tips and Tricks

One of the great things about a digital camera is that you're really not all that limited in how many pictures you take. As much good as reading a how-to is, the best way to get a feel for your camera is just play with all the settings and take as many pictures as you can.

One thing to get familiar with in a hurry is your camera's white balance, especially between indoor and outdoor. Inside light, depending on the kind of light bulbs you're using, can cast a light with a yellow or blue tint to it. A lot of software can change this, but it's going to also alter the color of your subject as well.

Also, you'll be using your camera's macro focus a lot working with figures and like. Some cameras require you to switch it on, so check yours before you get started. Also, if your camera has a shutter timer, I'd suggest using that with figures, even if you have a tripod, as the act of just pushing down on the shutter can cause blur.

For night time pictures, you'll definitely need a tripod, as you need longer exposures to get nice shots. For something moving, you'll need a faster shutter speed. Your camera might not give you a whole lot of control, but it might have pre-set night time or action settings.

If you're taking pictures of figures, a light box is pretty important. But there are dozens of ways you can find online to make one on-the-cheap. Likewise, regular desk-clamp lights can help handle lighting. Don't get anything too expensive starting out! I've known too many people who buy the best gear, are frustrated with their initial efforts, and get burned out because of the amount of money they invested.

This is why I'd also suggest, if you ever look to upgrade your camera, go to a mega-zoom first, instead of a DSLR(the megazooms are single body cameras, while the DSLRs have interchangable lenses). They're good cameras to learn on, and higher end mega-zooms do really nice work... I've sold some prints off on my Panasonic FZ35, which is a mega-zoom.

Finally, once you get started... download some kind of "photobook" software to keep it all organized(I use Picasa and love it). It makes keeping track of everything SO much easier.

Above all, have fun with it, and never be afraid to try something new with it. I've done all kinds of crazy stuff with mine just on a whim, and a few of those crazy shots turned into prints I've sold. So you never know!

Hope this long ramble helps somewhat!

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just have fun with it and experiment around.

Your skills & style will evolve naturally, as long as you're involved with the hobby and stay inspired by photography.

6. Tyjos

Well I know one thing the recent snowy weather has provided a great deal of inspiration for sure...we don't get snowy weather in the amounts like we have been...and when you have a pretty large collection like I do.....the possibilities for pictures are endless.

I have a Finepix 3800 which does really well since I found the control settings for the different settings been using the Scene/Sport setting for outside pictures.

Plus just gotta get out for sure to take good pictures of figures outside of the collection viewpoint [in other words taking figures outside to get great shots] since I've seen some pretty damn awesome pictures of figures in various locations on Tsuki-Board so time to get started taking pictures hell today I probably took about 20 pictures flat of some figures I have been meaning to get outside for a while.

I've found now that HUGE vehicles work excellent outside, the Turbo Tank, the Falcon, the Imperial Shuttle,and the AT-AT walker all work great.

Almost tempted to get a few Republic Fighter Tanks for a Convoy once I locate the AT-TE's rear leg......

Damn now I wanna go make more pictures outside but I gotta let myself warm back up.

For those of you curious to how my pictures are if you haven't checked out my Collection thread here's another place to check:

http://starscreamspace.spaces.live.com/

My blog is continually updated with pictures from the stuff I get in, to the stuff I have, to the cats we have...

7. NexusZero

NexusZero 強度の、勇気の愛、平和。

I'm giving a presentation on George Logan for school, I was actually able to talk to him via E-mail, he's a pretty cool guy, as well as a phenominal photographer.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I actually just amended the Tutorials Table of Contents tonight for the "Photography" tutorials to be easier to find. koh4711, many thanks for your discussion of the tutorials in your post :) 

That being said, I hope you have fun with this new hobby, Tyjos! :thumb 

9. Tyjos

Just got too many ideas at the moment, not enough time in the daylight and the weather's cold now so don't want to get a cold just to get a good shot outside.

Thanks for that link!

Though there aren't that many settings to change on this FinePix 3800 I have.....

http://rborg42.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/snow-shot-shining-tearswind-xecty-millitary-uniform-ver/

Edit:
    PHEW I think I need to set a fixed number of shot batches I can get in a days time.......gotta keep in mind the time of day too for outside shots [later in the afternoon or early in the morning but i'm never up in the morning except too early cause Fed Ex Jets wake me up and I groan and go back to sleep lol]

I just finished about a dozen pictures of the Deloreans, Gakken 1/35 Scale Alpha Fighters,and the A-Team Van.......oh boy what a joy it's going to be when I get to getting Mobile Suit Gundam figures pictures done.

10. Metalhead

Metalhead hates things

I'm nowhere as good as some of the guys on here, but I will make two suggestions that have helped me.

First, get a tripod. Nothing fancy, I find myself using my gorillapod (these are worth looking up, quite cheap too) more than my full size one. It'll help you keep the camera steady and is invaluable for any long exposure shots.

Second, download GIMP. I pretty much does the same kinda stuff as Photoshop, maybe not as smoothly, but it's free. Whilst I usually edit size, contrast and saturation in Preview on my Mac, this gets broken out for anything more advanced.
    (thumbnail below is something I did today to practice, as I'd not used it in a while)

Third (I know I said two things, I lied) and probably most important, have fun with it.

Attached Files:

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    As far as photography goes, my tripod was the best $20 I've spent.

12. Tyjos

Here's some of my shots I've done as of late...

Back to the Future Deloreans Parts I-III « Tyjos's Space

[Box was in view, but that was my first shot so I decided next to keep the box out of view]

Gakken 1/35 Scale Alpha Fighters! « Tyjos's Space

A-Team Van « Tyjos's Space

Gundam Deluxe Transforming GP-01 « Tyjos's Space
    Macross 1/55 Scale VF-1A « Tyjos's Space

Arch Enemy Strike Gundam « Tyjos's Space

Battlestar Galactica Colonial Vipers « Tyjos's Space

Did all those yesterday, Might decide to take the Imperial Shuttle out and do another shot with that one and the AT-AT Walker as well.

My objective with some pictures are to make the vehicles look larger, real life type size if possible but haven't gotten to that point yet.

13. Tyjos

14. Tyjos

Ok instead of making a new thread just for a question about Photography, I'll ask it here.

Weather Shots:

Since I did my first rain shot when we had snow/rain mix, keep in mind these are my first shots of this we've been having great weather the past 3 days so I've been taking major advantage of it and am actually looking forward to the next rain showers we get which will be this week!

Outside Shot Imperial Shuttle « Tyjos's Space

Outside Shot Ranka Lee « Tyjos's Space

Outside Shot Lacus Clyne « Tyjos's Space

Outside Shot Kos-Mos Episode III Swimsuit Ver « Tyjos's Space

Outside Shot Macross Frontier Klan « Tyjos's Space

I just need some suggestions [not advice lol] from any other photographers here on how to get a good quick shot since I don't think I want to spend too much time out in the rain taking shots. I do plan to do some shots of some of the large deluxe Gundams and hopefully by then I'll have some Star Wars Vehicles and get maybe a shot of some Gi Joe Vehicles [Skysweeper Jet Mainly] done outside.

Today's Shots:
    Gundam GP-02 Shot « Tyjos's Space

Gundam GP-02 Outside Shot 1 « Tyjos's Space

Gundam Wing Deluxe Transforming Wing Gundam « Tyjos's Space

Gundam Deluxe Transforming Wing Gundam Outside Shot 1 « Tyjos's Space

Clayz Beat Angel Escalayer Statue Shot 1 « Tyjos's Space

Clayz Beat Angel Escalayer Outside Shot 1 « Tyjos's Space

Star Wars Kotobukiya Slave Leia + Star Wars Unleashed Slave Leia « Tyjos's Space

Star Wars Wal-Mart Exclusive Clone Wars TIE Bomber « Tyjos's Space

Transformers Collection Update 1/27/11 Reveal the Shield Deluxe Tomahawk « Tyjos's Space

Transformers Collection Update 1/27/11 Generations Thunderwing « Tyjos's Space

Transformers Collection Update 1/27/11 Generations Blurr « Tyjos's Space

I'm still trying to find the right balance between Flash and No Flash a friend recommended I do not use flash when inside that it brings out the natural look of the figure, but I've found in the case of some figures Flash brings out the details.

Night Shots/Dark Shots:
    I have found my camera has dead pixels more doing dark shots but I so far haven't noticed em untill I did a recent shot of the light stands.

Collection Light Shots 1/28/11 « Tyjos's Space

Collection Update Pictures 1/27/11 « Tyjos's Space

Distance From Figure and Sunlight:

I think I've gotten this one down, but still want to know what you guys consider a good distance from a figure. I've found that when I'm doing my shots outside, usually in the afternoon the sun seems to get in allot of the shots at certain angles or causes some glare in shots.

Banpresto DX Gundam 00 Sumeragi Outside Shot « Tyjos's Space

RAH DX Gundam Seed Destiny Stellar Outside Shot « Tyjos's Space

Banpresto DX Gundam 00 Wang Liu Mi Outside Shot 1 « Tyjos's Space

Megahouse Queen’s Blade Risty outside shot « Tyjos's Space

RAH DX Lacus and Meer Outside Shot « Tyjos's Space

Tales of the Abyss Tear Grants « Tyjos's Space

Megahouse’s Queen’s Blade Shizuka « Tyjos's Space

Shining Tears X Wind Mao « Tyjos's Space

Shots:

Ok, another question is how many pictures is a good amount for a figure? I try to get some of the angles and maybe an up close picture but I'm still trying to decide on the amount of pictures per shot.

I just need some suggestions and maybe an opinion [from other photographers mainly] or two on how these shots have come out that's all the shots I've done since the last post.