Getting glasses...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vector Sigma, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

So my eyesight ain;t great. Got a perscription many years back and use that for driving and cinema watching. Recently been having some problems though, a few months back whilst doing a lot of reading, suddenly my eyes would seem to unfocus and it would be as if the words were floating before me and i was viewing the blank page behind, magic eye style. Now I use computers/watch tv's most of the time so i figured I was just straining my eyes and that was that. This past weekend I was out for dinner with my parents and we were talking about eyesight and I jokingly mentioned that I saw them in double vision. Then I realised that that wasn;t actually a total joke, that they really weren;t singular images to me, but slightly 'fuzzy 'round the edges'.
    I figured, fuck it, just the ways eyes are, but then over the last few days, considering that I've spent the last few months working hard on my uni project, which is on my laptop, and general revision ie a lot of reading, that maybe it would be good to get myself checked. So had my eyesight checked today and found that no, my eyesight is not worse really, left eye slightly, but mianly my 'angles have changed' (I have astigmatism), which covers most of e everything, but also, the optician figured out that ym eyes are 'unco-operative', so that at closer rnages, they have trouble working with each other, which has led to the 'ghosting' of images that I get. So, guy reckons that I need to get my persciption updated and to wear it when using the computer, reading a lot, driving, movies, TV, anything that takes a lot of concentration for the eyes.
    Looks like I'm shortly joining the 'wearing glasses a lot' club. Not all the time sure, but a fuck ton more often than I used too. So to the point of bothering y'all with this, I've never been too comfortable with wearing glasses a lot, always worry about how I look and how I need to look after them, I was just wondering if you glassess wearing types got used to using them often, quickly, or if it was a slow transition, or what?
    Funny thing is, I'm not even that bloody myopic, I'm only midway in the 'minor' scale, it's just my astigmatism and 'unco-operative' eyes that screw me, hell my mum has absolutely terrible eyesight, so no complaints on that front. I'm just wondering on what you guys reckon on working out the kinda lenses I'll need, normal, anti-reflective, special for driving, photo-reactive or whatver. Is there any good way of working out the kinda lenses to use or do you just play it by ear? Thanks for any ideas you guys may have...

2. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    I don't have a problem with them. Of course, I've been wearing them for about 20 years. Honestly I'd like to not need them, but I deal with it.

3. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Paragraphs dude, paragraphs! They are your friend!

But do not worry on the glasses-wearing, it is the awesome. I should know, I have been wearing them all the time for over 20 years! :p  I actually prefer to wear my glasses now than my contacts, for glasses nowadays are like a fashion accessory :lol 

But honestly, I do think you will find they make your life easier. I can't wait to see you in cool spectacles dude, make sure to post pics! :) 

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Congrats, glasses are cool but over time they'll make your vision a little worse, or it seems

On your 3rd or fourth pair, when you take them off you'll be like damn Im blind. Afte a few minutes you'll be squinted back to normal almost and wont need them.

I used to only use mine for night driving, now I wear them everywhere.
    Have to admit my studies & work have improved while wearing them

5. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Don't let the wife know, but I'm contemplating going back to glasses. Or maybe daily contacts and glasses. I just love not having to deal with the glasses all of the time, but now the contacts are starting to irritate my eyes if I don't take them out and clean them all the time (note my prescription are the monthly disposable kind).

6. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I started wearingi glasses full time in college. It was all the reading and computer usage that got me. My astigmatism is what's bad too. If it weren't for that, my vision would actually be okay. I'm going in for surgery soon so I can hopefully get rid of the glasses.

7. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I've worn glasses for about 15 years. Its weird, my prescription really hasn't changed since I first started wearing them.

I also where contacts, but the insurance company only covers glasses or contacts. This time I needed a new pair of glasses since my other ones broke. But my prescription for new contacts expired too. So I have one pair of contacts left, until the insurance will pay for another exam.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i usually use it just for night driving and driving when i need to look at streets...but lately, i've leaving it on while doing everything else...

the only sucky thing though is when i do need to look for streets, i cant use my sunglasses cause i need my glasses on.

9. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

I had something that was like lazy eye.. but not? When I was a kid.. got surgery and everything when I was 3 or 4. Wore glasses for about 10 years after that. Then around the age of 20 I started getting near sighted.. I don't need them now.. but they're nice to have :} less stress on my eyes.
    u_u I also look sophisticated. (and people.. can tell I'm a woman, and not a 12 year old boy :{)

10. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Antireflective is nice to have, but not necessary. And get a full frame, in metal, if you want the better kind of clip-on shades, which are nice for driving or outdoors stuff - I have half-rimmed frames, so I have to make do with the cheap flip-up kind. Been wearing glasses since like grade three, I went to contacts for a while in HS but I switched back in university when I started valuing a few more minutes sleep a day and no irritation over looking pretty.

If you do sports, contacts are nice to have though - check with your optometrist to see if you can get away with wearing them for like half a day at a time.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    glasses make you look smart.

12. Skor

Skor I HATE U TRASH MONSTAAAR! TFW2005 Supporter

I started wearing glasses at 6 and stopped wearing them at 23.

Laser Surgery man, it's the future!

(and so is possible blindness, apparently)

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    over 20 years- broke many a pair by dubious actions- but honestly i can say my glasses are as much a part of my physical body as my own nose. and until recently, i used to have my lenses tinted extremely dark. (got a speeding ticket b/c the cop thought i was wearing shades at night.)

I only take my glasses off when i am in the shower or swimming.
    I sleep with them on. It was a habit i have had since i was 11.

To make things easier on me about that, i used to joke that my eyesight was so bad I wore my glasses to bed so i could see my dreams.
    (Damn astigmatism, let me see Cindy Crawford!)

and to make matters worse, these days i actually wear two pair of glasses at the same time- i gotta see my Doc about updating my prescriptions soon- my regular glasses, and then i slide a pair of strong ass reading glasses over them so i can read newsprint.

welcome to the Lenticular world, buddy.
    it ain't so bad. not as bad as tripping over Devastator cause you couldn't see 6 robotic vehicles standing 4 feet away, lol.

14. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Dude I remember the meet up at Namco Arcade a short while after you had that done. We were going on the crazy fast dodgems and you said that excessive bumps were highly not suggested after the laser treatment, but then you said screw it and hoped on anyway.

Skor = awesome!

Thanks for the replies guys and girls!...

15. Claytonian

Claytonian Well-Known Member

100% agree with the LASIK recommendation (if you can afford it!). My wife and I both did the Custom LASIK 2 years ago and it was worth every penny to us. She ended up with 20/20 and I ended up with 20/15 so I couldn't be happier. I could go into all the details and positives for us, but it's not really the point of your post. Just wanted to second the LASIK comment.

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have glasses I never wear. I had the same kind of deal where I was supposed to wear them when on the computer, reading, watching TV, and stuff of that sort. I used to wear them all the time because the prescription was kinda weak and I would forget I had them on.

Now whenever I try to put them on I get a headache, but I think I can see pretty well now for some reason. I don't seem to have TOO much trouble reading anymore.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That's fine, Deefuzz. I have a beard I never wear. :lol 

I got glasses so I could read road signs better, especially at night. Having an extra quarter-mile to read an exit sign helps me not get lost on the way to Botcon!

18. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I'm going to third that. I had not great not terrible vision, I ended up wearing glasses when driving at night or watching tv but I hated wearing them in public, I never could get past the idea of shoving something in my eye everyday to get contacts so about a year ago I finally saved up and got the Lasik and wow, its great, I highly recommend at least checking it out, even though its still kind of pricey, you owe it to yourself to at least hear what they have to say, lots of places take payments too so who knows.

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I tried to write a post the other day but when I was almost done the computer (my mom's laptop`while mine is in the shop) decided to jump to a ad page for some crap. Well I was more than a little pissed. I gave it up for the night, but still wanted to give you some info.

I work in a optical lab and make glasses all day so I guess I'm the board expert on the subject.You wanted to know about different lens options and such.

First off do not get AR coating unless you are meticulus about cleaning. You will need to clean your glasses a lot with a microfiber cloth and cleaning spray. This will also scratch pretty easily. As for transitions, if you are going by the commercials they do not change real fast like in the commercial. Might take a minute or two to darken completely going out side and about as long or longer to return to clear. Kinda nice not to have to put sunglasses on and such.

As for lens material, well that depends on what you are looking for. Polycarbonate will not shatter as easily as plastic and High Index, but the down side is they don't work quite as well and they can scratch easily. Thin and Lite or High Index are nice if you have a high minus perscription (you have bad distance vision) If you are a -3.0 or more, then it might be a good idea. Takes off a great deal of the edge thickness. It cost a good bit more, but it isgreat for someone like me with really bad distance vision. (I'm about a -5 in one eye and a -6 in the other. Both have a -2 cylinder (aka astigmatism). Plastic is a great choice. It may be thicker than the others (depending on your perscription), but it does not scratch as easily as poly.

Hope this helps. Got any more questions I'll try to answer them.

20. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

A few things I have to say on the matter:

1: Have someone go with you when you pick out the frame. They will be able to tell you if it looks right for your face/head.
    2: You may get headaches from the glasses. This could stem from different things, like adjusting to the new perscription, or the parts of the glasses not being adjusted correctly. People often don't realize that the screws being too tight where the arm meets the frame could equal excess pressure on the upper ear area, causing pain. The same goes for the nose pads.
    3: I actually think that the clip-on sunglasses are more trouble than they're worth. If you want sunglasses, get a second pair.(granted, this is because MY perscription is SO thick that adding the clip-on sunglasses causes the aforementioned headaches.)

Glasses CAN be fun, as long as you are comfortable with them.