Getting electrocuted by our kitchen tap??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Feb 4, 2012.

1. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im kind of stuck on this and dont really have anyone else to ask atm. Mum came to me a few moments ago saying she felt like she had been zapped by electrocity while she was using the tap in the kitchen sink so I went and held it and almost instantly I felt a weird fuzzyness from the tap in my hand I let go before I to got zapped. what would cause electricity to be flowing throw a kitchen tap? Mum also got a bit of a shock from the water it self and we cant even empty the sink cause were to scared of being shocked. Probably gonna call the landlord tomorrow as its a holiday here in NZ atm. any ideas?

2. The Barracuda

The Barracuda Retro, bitches.

Do you have a disposal unit (garburator) attached to it? Or are there any wires around either the tape above the sink or the pipes below? If electricity is indeed flowing through it, the source has to be pretty close. It just seems bizarre the tap could have been made live by electricity or whoever put the kitchen together (or made a repair) did a piss-poor job.

3. OmegaPrime22

News Credits:
    The house is pretty old. We came here in about 2000 weve never had a problem in 10 years if this does require maintanance then its not bad for 10 years but still its strainge cause its only happen in the kitchen the tap in the bathroom is fine.

4. Kevin XI

Kevin XI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Call an electrician, or the little old lady from "Poltergeist".

5. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Well if you got shocked more then once, then I doubt it was anything freaky-deaky like residual energy presiding from a lightning strike...
    But it does sound very dangerous. And it sounds like a fire hazard as well. If you have a garbage disposal, then check that out. I severely doubt that an electric current can be carried that far, but a more "out there" theory is your hot water heater. But that's just me really reaching at straws. XD
    Also, if you have any lights or aplliances in the area, check those out. You can never really know.

6. OmegaPrime22

News Credits:
    @UnicronFTW we do have a hot water cuboard like almost right next to our kitchen in the washing room.

7. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    get an electrican out there pronto it sounds like you potentially have a wire shorting to the point some current has been picked up by your pipes and id flowing through them to a degree, especially bad if its all copper pipes that bring water in.

8. Allsparky

Allsparky Bayou Buah/Ex cross-tie walker!

Sounds like you've either got something loose that is barely touching metal or has intermittent contact. This won't necessarily cause a breaker to trip. You may also have a leak that is making contact with something electrical. Do you have a receptacle (plug/outlet) nearby? Be careful, and if you're still alive, you weren't electrocuted.

9. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

Or, you have serious grounding issues. You need to turn off your electric and call an electrician. Same thing happened to me. I had an old house, and one day, the faucet electrocuted the crap out of me. As I was investigating things, I noticed the air pipe outside of my kitchen had water boiling on the top of it. I called the electrician, and basically, my wiring was fried. It took 7 grand to get my house rewired, but, you have to do what you have to do.

With old homes, you never know what's going on. I was watching an episode on Holmes on Homes, and as they were ripping up some bad flooring, they discovered live exposed wiring buried underneath the floor boards. He pointed out that if the dishwasher ever over flowed, or if a large amount of water had spilled on the floor, and especially if someone was walking around bare foot, uh, you get the picture.

10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Sounds a bit more than just a static shock, though those are more common in the winter. Look for wiring touching your pipes, even for seemingly unrelated stuff like your lights.

Get a voltmeter, touch it to the tap, turn various switches to turn nearby devices on and off, see if the reading changes. That might help you narrow down which circuit is causing the problem

11. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

For some reason, all I can think of is a certain Three Stooges episode right now.

"This house is shore gone crazy!" :lol 

12. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Wiring issue or serious grounding problem it sounds like.

I would get it checked ASAP. U don't want the whole place to go up in smoke, you got Transformers in there.

In addition to what the above folks have said, and some had good advice, sometimes people who do wiring are, let's say idiots? :) 

I once found a wire grounded to a water pipe, copper to boot, so this shit does happen out there.