Getting down and dirty: Deep Analysis of Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Apr 3, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

Have a complaint or speculation about a specific part of Movie-verse Transformers? Stick it here! Lets make it pic heavy!

As a general complaint I don't like the the Lobster/Bug look of the Movie-verse transformers

[​IMG]

I for one thought this was a lobster. Upon first glance.

But to top it off I hate the obnoxious 'high def" details of the Transformers themselves, in the sense that alot of the designs are made to be over-complicated in the face area, and then various generic transformations. Like, you figure, that the Optimus Prime, when he transforms. He has this weird overcomplicated face/transformation and it really isn't nessasary.

So, this being said. Lets keep our Overanalysis over every aspect of Transformers here. IE: head shoulders knees and toes.

2. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I don't have any pics on my phone, but I'll try to chime in with my 2 cents.
    The over complicated face are a problem issue.
    Over complicated faces means its more difficult for the human eye to lock onto facial features.
    Bumblebee has big eyes, so even without a mouth, you can see the expression on his face.
    Speaking from personal experience, many of the other characters, facial expressions are difficult to spot, due to the over complicated features, I have no idea what's going on.
    Autobots like Jazz, I can't even see his face very well. Does he even have a mouth? I don't know.
    I wasn't even aware that Ironhide had a scar over one of his eye, untill someone here on the forums posted a high res screen shot of his face. Watching the actual movie I had no idea. These sorts of details are totally lost due to the over complication.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Does not compute.

4. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Perhaps you aren't supposed to be able to distinguish their facial features?

5. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Than that would count as bad storytelling. Which these movies are plagued with.
    Then what's the point of giving them faces? What's the point of making characters like Ironhide, and Ratchet? With that logic, it just makes the Transformers drones.
    Of the story tellers want the audience to believe these giant robots are alive, being about to see their facial expressions is kind of important.
    You get to see enough close ups of goofballs like Leo, and Glen. Why not have closes ups of the main characters; the Transformers?
    I think it's failure of the director that he focused on the things that didn't matter, and excluded the things that did.

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Ive never liked BB's movie face; it looks halfway like a skull with the eyes still there

7. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Sounds more like Que.

There are more close-ups of human faces because even if they were much simpler in their design the faces of the Transformers themselves would still be vastly more expensive for every second of their time onscreen.

Which is one of principle, stated reasons Bay chose to keep away from anything closer than medium shots of most of their faces for the first film...the money just wasn't there considering all the other areas they needed to direct their CGI resources towards. No real surprise Jazz was mentioned as an example, bearing that in mind. I've never found it to be any real problem, and certainly not with any lead character who truly mattered.

It's also not a problem you'll encounter so much with the second and third films, for basically the same reason. They could afford to show the faces more clearly and up close so they did.

It's also of note that these are movies specifically made for the big screen. The amount of detail which is necessary to make these designs look believable under the scrutiny of an audience right in front of a massive theater screen gets lost progressively more and more as the screens for later viewings get smaller and smaller. Sure, you can get the general idea of what's going on if you're watching the movie on a 15 inch monitor or a cellphone, but it's silly to expect to be able to make things out as well in that case. A cellphone? Really?!?

In my experience, if you're watching in a theater or if you're at least watching on the biggest TV screen and/or some form of Hi-Def then it's not really a problem. Anything less is just shooting yourself in the foot and handicapping the movie...it kind of goes without saying that movies like the Transformers movies of all movies should be viewed on the biggest screen available.

8. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I can't help but wonder how this:
    [​IMG]
    became this:
    [​IMG]

9. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey robots turn me on

I love the transformations and faces. They're very expressive.

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Actually, there's not much of a difference (barring the colour, obviously). Yeah, there's a couple of details that have been added, but the heads are pretty much identical; forehead, eyes, cheekbones, jaw. Though it can be difficult to tell because that shot from the movie is from an awkward position/angle.

11. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Hasn't it all been said already?

12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    :peoples: 

13. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

The transformations are way too overcomplicated. Such a shame because the designs are great, probably even better if simplified.

14. abc55abc55

abc55abc55 Banned

Over complicated? I don't mind the extra transforming bits on the Transformers, it makes them more life-like.

15. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    Even without generic human facial features, and knowing that its an evil robot, you can still get a feel for the expression.

Obviously, Rampage is not happy.

16. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    Pretty much summed up any discussion on any boards here.

What's confusing, Bell? He's obviously angry. You can tell by the emotion. ;) 

17. Vulcan

Vulcan Well-Known Member

I was angry that Starscream wasn't a little more "handsome". One of the hallmarks of his character was vanity, so looking like a chicken/gorilla didn't give him anything to be vain about.

18. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey robots turn me on

Well, Rampages head clearly indicates how he is. He's a mean, monstrous evil guy and that's exactly how he's portrayed. But looking at Ratchet and Ironhide and Optimus' faces alone kind of give off what kind of characters they are. I will say Bee reminds me of a skeleton though.

19. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Wait, what? I thought he had a deranged smile. Oh my, oh my, oh my...

20. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    I don't know about you, but I've never heard anyone describe Starscream as "vain" in terms of appearance. Never. Not G1, UT, or even TFP. The closest thing was probably Animated Starscream commenting on what a handsome group of clones he had. In terms of his worth/value/abilities, then yes, I can see Starscream clearly being vain. In which case Bayformers Starscream does fit that description as well. He's pompous and arrogant and underestimates his opponents.