Getting annoyed with AFA...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Might Gaine, May 14, 2008.

1. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    I've defended AFA for a long time, but I am starting to get really annoyed with them. It feels like I have had a string of problems with them recently.

The most recent problem is an ungradeable double-taped Ratchet that they returned to me. I sent in 3 other toys to be graded, and basically when everything was sent back, the weight of the 3 graded toys pushed the top flap of the Ratchet forward. You would think they'd have the common sense to package the ungradeable toy in a seperate package or to but it in a protective cardboard box inside the larger package. The damage could have been a lot worse, but it still really pisses me off that they didn't even think to protect the Ratchet from the weight of the other three toys.

Other problems I've had in the last couple months:
    1) TONS of graded toys with the rails spaced too far apart, which allowed the toy box to slide around inside the acrylic box. They were able to fix them all, but it still is incredibly annoying that it happened to like 20 toys I sent them.
    2) Sending in a toy with a crack in the acrylic box to get fixed, and getting back a botched fix-job (it looked fuzzy and there were small bubbles), as well as a NEW crack right near the old crack.
    3) Grading a no-rub wheeljack as a w/rub Wheeljack. And this is after I specifically put on the submission form that it is no-rub.

I'm trying out CSG soon, since they will grade factory double-taped items. Hopefully they will do a better job...

2. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on your experience with CSG; I'm debating on getting a couple of stuff graded myself.

3. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

Wow, look who's turning to the dark side :) 

4. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thx for the info, i was gonna go afa soon = =

5. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

AFA is starting to annoy you? Here's the way I see it, every time somebody gets a MIB G1 AFA graded that's one less MIB G1 figure on the market. For example say a MIB G1 Prowl would normally go for $400.00, $400.00 is high but still affordable if you wanted it bad enough. But now that it has been AFA graded the seller won't let it go for less than $2400.00+. That price is unaffordable to most people. Any chance of buying that figure is gone now. It's a ruined figure. Now that it has that stupid AFA number & plastic case you will NEVER be able to get that figure for it's actual value ever again. Now a lot of fans complain about KO's & how they're not official Hasbro releases. Well, this is the same thing, AFA isn't actual authentic official Hasbro. They're just some geeks that thought up a scheme to make money. AFA has nothing to do with Transformers or Hasbro. So in my eyes, instead of AFA adding value to a figure, they just take that figure right off the market forever. As if finding a MIB G1 in decent shape for a reasonable price isn't hard enough, all you guys that get them AFA graded are only screwing the rest of us over. You're just making the number of available G1 figures to collect go down. If AFA didn't come along there would be thousands of MIB G1 figures on the market for their actual *affordable* aftermarket value. Not some false inflated price tagged on by an overly greedy scalper. The only thing that motivates any of you to AFA grade is GREED & the hope of charging more than the figure is actually worth.

You're just ruining the hobby for anybody that might want to collect MIB G1 down the road by making all the available figures dry up! Now THAT'S annoying!:mad 

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Fair comment, but they could just be collectors of boxed Transformers who want to protect their investments by having them put into protective cases, and officially graded for insurance reasons.

Plus, I honestly do not think that there are that many being taken off the market in the first place. By that logic, anyone who buys an item with the intention to keep it as a part of their collection and not resell is drying up the available stock!

7. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:

I dont think you can blame might gaine for ruining the hobby, I'd rather have an AFA piece over a MISB toy anyday simply because I know its not going to get trashed on display, I can also display them in my house without it looking a bit strange to visitors, many of my mates who left behind toys years ago have actually invested in a couple of pieces of AFA stuff after seeing mine, its like some kind of retro cool art. I really cant see the logic in bagging might gaine because he supplies a demand, its not fair

8. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If that's the worst thing that ever happens to you, then you've had a charmed life.

9. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hi Jeff. Thats all I have to say.

10. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

It's not the worst thing, it's just annoying. And I agree with him. Inflated prices for a stupid acrylic box and a flawed "grading" system. To each its own - if someone is free to grade their toys, someone else is also free to bitch about it. Don't make it like it's morally wrong to complain.

11. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    I'm sorry, I was under the impression that if its my toy(bought and paid for)that I could pretty much do whatever I want with it. while I hate afa, its not MY place to tell others what to they should do with their toys. If you were a misb collector, it would make sense to protect your investment. also you can still find nice mib G1 toys for a decent price. If you are a misb collector, but cant afford that kind of hobby, then stop bitching about it. I suggest you search ebay and yahoojpn. for deals ALL day long, cause thats what kind of dedication it takes to get good deals on misb G1 stuff.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  12. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

Sure, including selling it later for triple the price.
    :horse: 

You're free to do it, and other people are free to think it's questionable...

13. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess i could waste time trying to score points off people... but grown men bickering about toys from their childhood is infantile. So, i wish you well.

14. Malach Ra

News Credits:
    Hold on,Might Gaine puts his AFA stuff on the auction block regularly, and the starting bid is .99, so its not him thats charging a high price, its you fellow collectors that jack it up during the bidding war. Me, I put AFA stuff at a high price because I'll be damned if I lose any money on it-but i do accept offers regularly, hell, i have MIB stuff that I priced high and its going to stay there-why? cause thats what i want for it, if you cant afford it, go buy a the same toy in less condition for less money. plain and simple. but if you want the nice stuff, buy it or wait for the deals, or you can just pass the time bitching about it.

Dont get me wrong, AFA as a company-I hate.
    also, everybody is entitled to their opinion, and I can see where it gets annoying, but it doesnt bother me anymore since I dont collect that way, plus I just dont have the patience nor the money for it. There are more important things for my big money to go to. If I were a misb collector, i would mainly concentrate on binaltech/alternators/kiss players-that havent even began to price cap yet, and 20 years down the line they are going to be on par with G1 misb. thats my outlook. but good luck to everyone that wants to find a good deal on G1 misb.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  15. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Wow. Do we need a basic undersanding of how free market capitalism works? The buyer decides the value, not afa nor the seller. There are some overpriced afa goods I've tracked on certain ebay stores that havent sold in years since they are simply overpriced. Your argument is trite as those who complain a rare toy is too much for them to afford. Tough luck. The free market determines their values, buyers pay it. No one is holding a gun to their heads. Youre complaining that others are sending their toys you dont own for grading thereby expecting a value increase. Thats an unbelievably arrogant argument.

The thing that irked me most aout afa was their inconsistent grading. ONe afa85 item I had, had creases and notches in the card edge, while a pre rub wheeljack I sent in was perfect and got an 85. Everyone I showed it to thought it was an easy 90. Never will do business with them again.

16. unicronhq

unicronhq Banned

News Credits:
    i see this AFA thread going down that slippery slope that all the KO threads do...It's supporting the dark side of the world....bleah....Wonder if you could AFA a dead animal???

hmm....jack the corpse into a sealed acrylic coffin....

17. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I understand where this guy is coming from, I've heard the same argument in comics, and now toys.

Here's the reality......
    Vintage toys in case fresh condition, (if they are sold correctly in the right market), are going to sell for the same ballpark price as a graded toy in the NM+ range. The prices quoted above are a little extreme.

Everyone submits toys to get graded for different reasons. Professional grading is an important tool for me, because I resell items that for whatever reason become less appealing to me, to be able to afford an item that I really want for my collection. Above and Beyond the upgrade factor, I enjoy sharing my vintage toys with my son, and without the protective case, these items would suffer condition-wise.

It is very hard to collect G1 in nice shape on a budget these days. As Malach Ra said, you will have to adjust your standards to your monetary situation. G1 misb collecting is not a hobby that suits most collectors. You either have to pay top dollar,(graded or ungraded), to get nice stuff, or work your ass off networking, and searching.

One last note......Most Collectors have a "I Need It Now" attitude about collecting. Through the years that I have been involved, I have seen that in every situation, patience will prevail. If you do not find that rare figure after waiting a few years, all the money you saved by waiting, you can afford to pay top dollar:) 

18. Killa-B-Killed

Killa-B-Killed Material Handler

I think you will have a good experience with CSG. I have only had one issue, and it was the Post Office's fault.

I use both services. CSG exclusively for all items that are being kept in my collection, and a combination of both for items that will be sold. AFA exclusively in a small percentage of situations. I was a little upset about how AFA packed my last group of submissions, after specific requests.

I hope things turn around for you!!

19. cannabisprime

cannabisprime Well-Known Member

Wow, get off the acrylic soap box; even if it's not graded, I'm pretty sure you can't get any MIB G1 for what they were actual sold for decades ago.

20. diablien

diablien Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    AFA just helps you create a time capsule.

The reason this stuff is worth so much is because you can't go into the store and buy it anymore. It's the only way you can keep something 20+ years old safe and sound and like it was brand new.

This is an interesting topic since I am sending my first items to be AFA graded today. Some of these are brand new items (Masterpiece Starscream, Varida Starscream)

I just want this stuff sealed away so I never have to worry about crushing the box or messing it up every again. I always want to feel safe if friends want to touch, hold, and examine these things. They have no idea that a boxed toy is fragile or important. Now that it's in a case, it gives people the impression right away that this item is special and to be careful.

The custom case shapes are expensive so you might as well get it graded at the same time. Plus it keeps a record of your toy. I guess I never saw a problem with doing this and it's definitely eye opening to see people objecting to it.

Ultimately, it seems like the same old arguement: people don't want to spend money. It's a have have-nots game. Sorry.