Getting an HDTV and need tips!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Hook, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Alright, so wifey and I decided it was time the old 27 inch CRT TV got moved to the bedroom, while a nice 42 inch HDTV would rule the living room.

Only, I'm not sure what I should go for. I've heard that LCDs last longer than plasma TVs and they are better suited for console games, but how much of that is true? Also, I'm pretty sure I need 1080i as opposed to 720p, right?

Finally, what brand will give me the most bang for my buck? What do you guys suggest?

2. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Plasmas when introduced used to be prone to whats known as burn-in, where static images that were displayed for long periods of time would burn in permenently.(like life bars on video games). Not so much a problem with newer plasmas. Top of the line plasmsa like Pioneere Kuro line or Panasonics top line are the best displays made. LCD are second, but have much more bang for the buck, as uasually the equevelent in resolution and features is much cheaper. 1080p is the resolution your looking for, and since all LCDs are progressive scan you wont find a true native 1080i screen, if its labled as such, its resolution is probably 720p with a 1080i input that it de-interlaces internally than displays at the TVs native resolution. True 1080p is 1080 vertical lines of resolution, and 1920 horizontal lines.

If Contrast levels are inportant, Plasma again wins, the advertised contrast ratio on LCD sets might have higher numbers, especally on the new LED backlit LCD displays, but side by side in a dark room, the backlit LCD display doesnt have the black levels that top of the line plasma have.

Motion is another downfal to LCD, the refresh rate on plasma is much faster than LCD, giving you a sharper image during motion sceens. New LCDs by Samsung, Sony, and a couple other brands have -6ms resopse time, and 120hz prossesing, which helps, but still not as good as a top of the line Pioneer Kuro.

Now if your not in the market for a top of the line display, I sujest a 15,000-1 or better contrast ratio LCD 1080p display with 120hz. If it was me, either a Samsung or Sony. Unless you in the market for a top of the line set, stay away from plasma, cheap plasmas dont compare.

BTW, im running a Samsung LNT5271f 52" 1080p 120hz with 25,000-1 contrast ratio.
    [​IMG]

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depending on your seating distance away from the tv, a 1080P 40" is probably sufficient. Many will argue that you don't need 1080P on a sets smaller than 50"+ but I beg to differ. LCD's vs. Plasma is also a hotly debated topic with Plasmas reaching 100,000:1 contrast ratio (possibly higher by now). But once you reach a certain ratio with contrast, it's irrelevant. Sort of like a digital zoom with a camera. Also, the 120 hz currently is not necessary as nothing is filmed wth the technology that allows this to be effective. Watch a 120 hz display at your local Best Buy and it looks like it's running at 1.5 times fast forward. That's because the TV is actually doubling the frame rate when it shouldn't be. And stick with Samsung, IMO the best LCD's on the planet.

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I think you can get a 40-42" LCD at Best Buy or Future Shop for a good price. I tend to shy away from plasma as I dont think you really get any more value from them, that and LCD's are a heck of a lot lighter for moving around.

5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Plasma's have always had a hazy look to them IMO. That is unless you're going top of the line, and then you're talking $$$$$.

6. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    120hz isn't as important as the true 5:5 pulldown rate that only 120hz lcds have, most 60hz have a 3:2. The 120hz is mostly for sports, and Samsungs "AMP" (auto motion plus) or Sonys "Motionflow" can be turned to one of three settings, or off, but the set is still giving a true 5:5 pulldown, giving a better smother picture. I uasually keep mine on low during normal tv viewing, but when watching Blu-rays at 24fps, I shut it off. I owned a Samsung 1080p 60hz LNS4695d before my current set, and the difference in motion quality is very apperent, even with 120hz Amp turned off.

7. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

If you're going LCD, Sharp Aquos all the damn way. Thing is ridiculous gorgeous.

8. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

You also have to keep in mind Plasmas don't age as well as LCD's. As the gases in a plasma display get closer to their half life the brightness of the display dims. Plasma displays are getting into the same range of lifespan as LCD's (60,000 hours) but it's still kinda dependent on manufacturer quality.

Plasma displays also eat up more power than LCD.

Like Turboed Guy said, unless y'all are looking to plunk down some change for a really nice set i'd go for an LCD, a Sharp Aquos or a Samsung.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Samsung with a "Game Mode".

Trust me.

10. Nexus Prime

Nexus Prime Creation is proof.

That's what I have and I have no complaints.

Also keep in mind the store model ones are not usually set up right and don't show off how good they can really look.

11. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    QFT Brother, QFT

12. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Interesting. What does the game mode do?

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

smangsungs ftw.

i have the same set as Twist, running all my games at 720p with game mode. not sure what it does but all my games look purty.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Optimised for contrast/response times. Looks great on the 360 and PS3.

15. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Recently plunked down for a samsung 7 series 52 inch LCD 1080P & 120htz and its an awesome set Did a lot of research too and Samsung, Sony, and Sharp would be the ones to look at. If your on a budget then take a look at Westinghouse or Vizio they make some pretty good low buck sets.

16. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a 50" Samsung Plasma and it rocks my nuts off.

17. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have the slightly newer (well at the time I bought it) model to Twist and Smang and it they speak to truth.
    It does look very purty.

18. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    I have a Vizio 42" LCD...I checked out a bunch of HDTVs...Vizio has good bang for the buck. Plasma had a prettier picture, but it sucks up quite a bit more juice. Wasn't worth it, for now.
    Samsung seems to be the consensus cream of the crop.

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I just upgraded to a 37" 720p Toshiba LCD from a 30" HD-CRT heavy bastard. It cost around $700, not top of the line by any means, but it's awesome. It doesn't have as a good of a picture for SD as the CRT did, but I'm willing to take the hit. My God, the gaming is SO much better.

I also have "game mode" (improved response time), but what I can't figure out is if the response time is actually improved somehow (I don't really notice any difference), WHY is there an option to turn it off in the first place? The TV must be doing something that you don't want it to do at all times. Is picture quality degraded somehow?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just stay away from tv's that need bulb replacements.

I have to replace mine every year at $350 a pop.