getting a ps3 slim today, help me get the most out of it!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ckhtiger, Sep 10, 2009.

1. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

hi guys. I finally made the jump into the next gen of consoles due to dell's sweet 15% offer. I haven't paid THAT much attention to the ps3 over the past few years, so I have some questions:

1. I have a high-end receiver and a sony bravia lcd tv. do I just need to buy a standard hdmi cable to hook it up to the tv, or something more specific to the ps3? and hdmi cables carry both audio and video, right?

2. what are some must have ps3-exclusive games to buy in the stores? I have a pc and have gotten games like ghostbusters, cod4, tomb raider underworld, etc for it, which is why I'm only looking for exclusives. the games I'm planning on getting are mgs4, arkham asylum (exclusive joker content), uncharted (might wait for 2), littlebigplanet goty, street fighter 4, and trico.

3. the only thing you have to pay for online is anything you download, right? again, I'm looking for some awesome games to get, and am planning on getting flower, echochrome, sf2 hd, the bonk game, and wipeout hd.

4. would I have to pay for my dl'ed games again if my ps3 broke, or is there some way to back them up to a memory stick or something?

thanks for your help, guys. I've been looking for answers to these questions for a little bit, but I can only find other forums with somewhat sketchy answers.

2. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    1. As far as I know a basic HDMI cable will work for your needs. Don't pay a ton for it when you go out though. You can find cheap ones here: www. monoprice.com If you can't wait, check Target or Wal-Mart. They sometimes have cables in the $20 range. Whatever you do, don't get suckered in with the" you have to pay $50+ for an HDMI cable."And yes, HDMI carries both video and audio.

2. You've mentioned pretty much everything I would have. I really enjoyed Heavenly Sword as well. I Resistance 1 (haven't played 2 yet) was also enjoyable.

3. Yep, Playstation Network is free to use and play online against other people.

4. I'm not 100% certain but I believe your purchases are tied into your PSN account, not your actual system. Somebody else will have to verify this one for you.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    4. You can download your downloaded games as many times as you need on up to 5 different PS3's.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The best advice I can give is to not talk to my wife.

I was getting a PS3 Slim until I talked to my wife. :( 

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm the same with ATT Uverse.

6. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, my wife has no idea this is coming. unfortunately, I have a drs. appointment around the same time it should arrive. however, I'm HOPING it's a bit late, in which case we'll be gone and she won't notice it sitting on the front porch when we get home later.

7. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I might consider component cables over HDMI, IF and only IF your TV is under 42 inches and/or maxes out at 720p.

Some are going to swear that you should run HDMI no matter what, but it's not necessarily true...

Disregard if you have a larger TV or true 1080p.

8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you have the space for component cables, it's a fine option as long as you don't have the 1080P TV. The Blu-Ray player will only upconvert DVD's or play 1080P via HDMI. The ease with which you can buy cheap HDMI, and less clutter, it's just easier to go with that.

9. Cheez Doodle23

Cheez Doodle23 Plastic Crack Club Member

News Credits:
    I lol'd. that sucks, I'm glad I didn't talk to her when Halo 3:ODST came available for pre-order.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    No no no!!!
    If you can get Uverse or FIOS, you should get it.
    When is the date, by the way?

I see inexpensive HDMI cables more frequently these days.
    I think it's worth it to get HDMI if you are only paying about $15 -even if you can't get 1080p on your TV.

She doesn't know?
    Dude, you had better get her favorite movie on Blu-ray -stat!

11. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude you are going to need more than this more like flowers, dinner, movies and a Kindle from Amazon if she is into books. I fear for you!

12. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would suggest getting Uncharted and Uncharted 2, that way you'll get more of the story.

13. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

my tv's 40" 1080p, so I just ordered a 6' hdmi cable from amazon for $3.10 shipped :)  as far as my wife not knowing, well, I bought the tv a year ago when she was away on vacation and got away with that, and she knew I was EVENTUALLY gonna get the ps3, if only for the blue ray. so all I have to do is tell her it was finally affordable and I canceled an equal amount of transformer pre-orders, and I should be all set.

I hope.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So you're recommending U-Verse? As for the day. Any day not in terms of JP, and then next year in terms of bigger wedding.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I would get FIOS over anything, then U-Verse over anything else if FIOS is not available.

16. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I see you already bought the hdmi cable. Great deal on it! I was gonna suggest you buy the cheapest hdmi cable you could find, and I see you did that.

As for games, what people have mentioned is good. If you like mindless fun with no plot, buy PAIN off of the PSN. Look it up, it can kill hours of time.

Mini Ninjas also looks really good. I can't tell you yet though as I haven't got it yet. Should come in the mail today or tomorrow though.

17. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I've had bad experiences with cheaper HDMI cables.

It's usually when the PS3 is used to play a dvd, like the screen will go either purple or green. Some kind of data gets lost or scrambled along the way. Good (well, expensive) HDMI cables have given me no problem at all.

18. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've been using an $8 cable for the past few years. No troubles whatsoever. Everyone I've guided to the cheap cables has had no complaints either.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No problems with the cheap ones, but I will tell you this, Counter. I bought a new TV last year, and prior I had the same problem you're describing. Haven't had that issues since I got the new TV.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Not trying to single you out, CP, but my experience has been similar to Joe's.
    I have guided everyone I could to cheap HDMI cables and so far no one has had an issue.