Getting a PC headset

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NGW, Jul 13, 2009.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    So I need a new headset. One I had broke a while back. And I had a gift card for Best Buy, I picked up a logitech gaming headset..and found out it was a complete waste of money upon reading reviews, that it breaks really easily, and in my own experience it just won't work for me (absolutely no way to get the mic in a position it will pick up my voice while wearing the headset. So I'm hoping Best Buy will take it back and let me get something else, I mean I just got it today, and I have all the packaging and crap. So I need some recommendations as to what I should get. I'll have about $30 when I return it.

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    USB, USB, USB.

There you go.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Anything more specific? lol

4. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I have a USB Logitech Premium headset, and I like it.

USB is just so much easier to work with in most cases. The only hitch is that it is recognized as a separate audio device from your sound card. But that's fine with me.

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's actually what I ended up picking up.

It kind of was put in the wrong place, thought it was the same price as the one I returned.

Wound up spending like $30 more >_>

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    ... and speaking of headsets, has anyone used or owned the Dynex DX-28?

The majority of what I've read online leads me to believe that it's garbage, but the fact that it's only 10 bucks this week & that I don't intend on using it for anything other than radio style convos has me thinking that maybe it's worth the gamble.

Any thoughts?

7. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

8. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I've been using a model close to this one for quite a few years now, even after breaking one after having it for 5+ years I just picked up a new model that looked almost the same, and has seved me for a year or two now:

http://www.target.com/p/Logitech-H530-USB-Headset-981-000195-Black/-/A-13252206

If you can wait, best buy has it on sale for 30 bucks every now and then. But if you can only buy from target, itll be out of your price range.

9. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have this one as well. I highly recommend it. The sound quality was excellent, the mic powerful. I was able to pick mine up for $36.00 at Wal-Mart.

10. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    if you have an external source for the game sound then just go with something basic for voice chat. I've been using this cheesy rocketfish one for the past year or so Rocketfishâ„¢ - Wired Headset for PlayStation 3 - RF-GPS3007

it works fine on ps3/pc, nice long cord and a built in volume slider. very good mic for voice chat if that's all you intend to do with it.

11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dynex is pure junk. Rocketfish and Insignia have some quality. Dynex is custom made oem junk from the bowels of Chinese factories. Rocketfish (and some of Insignia) are actually out of production models from other companies. They just polish them up, put a new label on them, perhaps update a chip or two. Which is why they cost a lot more than their Dynex products.

For example, one of their Insignia Bluetooth headsets is a relabeled Motorola and one of their soundcards is a relabeled Creative Labs card.

Dynex...yeah, just skip that crap.