Getting a better monitor, need advice.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Metal Chaos, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I've decided to forgo an upgrade with my current monitor, a 22" DELL LCD monitor, and buy something like a 23" or 24" HD LCD Monitor as I want my PC and 360 to be used to their full potential. I'm soon to upgrade my video card from a burnt out ATI Radeon 3870 X2 to an ATI Radeon 5770 and I plan to use its HDMI port instead of the usual DVI port.

I also use my monitor for my 360, running it through a vga cord but I'll also be switching it over to use the xbox 360 HDMI AV cable so I can still use my surround sound with my 360.

I'll be running these BOTH to the new monitor via HDMI cables so I was planning on getting a monitor with 2, or more, HDMI ports. But I do have some questions.

1: If using 2 HDMI cables to run 2 different system into a monitor, is there a way to switch between the 2 systems on the monitor or will one of the systems be dominant and therefor have to be turned off for the other signal to be broadcast onto the screen?

2: Who makes the best HD Monitors? I have been looking at Asus and HP myself.

3: Would I be better off buying a 32" LCD HDTV and using it as a monitor as well as for TV? I've heard even HD TVs make lousy monitors.

I'm planning to sell my current monitor in order to afford the HD monitor, I'll have to put money with it but at least I won't have to spend too much.

Over all my upgrades planned are:

ATI Radeon HD 5770
    HD Monitor
    120GB Xbox 360 HD
    Xbox 360 HDMI AV cable

I'm definitely gonna have to clean up my PC desk.

2. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Most likely. Most HDTV's have multiple HDMI inputs and allow you to switch to HDMI 1 or HDMI 2, etc

3. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    First off, don't get a TV as a monitor. It is just too much of a hassle. I also doesn't look great after you finish with it. Trust me, I know.

As for the HDMI question, the answer is in what monitor you pick. The monitor you pick should have 2 HDMI slots, which would almost have to mean that they would at least have three different inputs: VGA, HDMI 1, HDMI 2. That would allow everything to function without having to worry about disconnecting or shutting down things that would overlap each other. The only issue might be the sound overlapping, but there are other ways around that problem.

As for monitors, I wouldn't recommend HP. They have nice monitors, but the life-spam could be a lot better. Asus is a better choice. While I know you have a Dell monitor, I would suggest upgrading to a 24" Full HD Dell monitor. They aren't overly expensive, last a long time, and have a nice picture. I own one and I love it.

4. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Thanks for the help. Honestly I wasn't too keen on getting an HP monitor anyways. Asus and DELL seem like the best choices to me, they offer more bang for the buck.

I also pretty much thought that HDTVs didn't make good monitors, now I'm sure of it.

I'd love to be able to afford a 28" LCD HD Monitor but for now 24" is probably the best I can do.

I also figured they'd have the ability to switch between inputs but I'm much more relieved to see it confirmed. I'm not planning on using speakers from any pc monitor anyways, I'll stick to my surround sound on my 360 and normal speakers and my surround sound headset on my PC.

Thanks for the info.

5. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

conversely some 360 games look better on a HDTV than on a monitor

6. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I'm running an Asus 23" LED LCD monitor (ASUS MS238H) for my gaming needs. I purchased this back in January for almost $200 even.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's absolutely fantastic. It has an obnoxious contrast ratio (1,000,000:1 vs LCD's 10,000:1). Also, with the ultra fast 2ms response time, there's almost no visual lag when playing. This is allowing me to dominate when playing Halo 3 online.

As far as connections go:
    HDMI x1
    DVI x1
    VGA x1
    Headphone jack x1 (so you can get the sound out of the HDMI source)

I used to play on the 37" in the background. 8ms response time ... poor HDMI signal handling lead to many frustrated nights.

7. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Here's what I've been looking at:

Newegg.com - ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000 :1 (ASCR) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

vs

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2333HD High Glossy Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen Full HD LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10,000:1 (1,000:1) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Both have good traits:

Asus has 2ms response time.

Samsung has a 5ms response time but makes up for it with the fact it's got a built in TV tuner and a remote. I have satellite receiver in my room but no TV to hook it up to, the Samsung also has 2 HDMI ports according to reviews. Plus it has a remote.

Any thoughts on these two?

8. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Asus or Samsung I listed? I'm leaning towards the Samsung just for the fact it can also act as a TV, it's a monitor, and has 2 HDMI ports. Though I may hold out to get something a tad bigger. I'd love to get something like a 28" but I'm pressed for money with botcon coming up in a few months.

9. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Is there much of a difference between 5ms and 2ms? From what I've ready even 5ms is great for gaming. The fact that this can double as a TV is great for me just for the fact that when I'm in my own place soon I'll be able to hold off on buying a TV and can just watch it right on my monitor. I also love the fact it has 2 HDMI ports and a DVI port.

So does anyone see any problems at all with the Samsung? I read a lot of great reviews but I'm still open to opinions.

10. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
  11. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    Also I'm planning some other upgrades:

ATi Radeon HD 3870X2 to an ATi Radeon HD 5770
    DELL 22" LCD to a HannsĀ·G HH-281HPB Black 28" HD LCD monitor
    Logitech x 530 5.1 Wired Surround Speakers to Logitech x 540 5.1 Wireless Surround Sound Speakers

I'm only springing for new speakers because I don't feel like wired speakers can function as surround sound like wireless can.

Now I won't be getting these all immediately, but I will getting them as I can afford them. I'm hoping to have my own place soon to so I'll be able to hook it all up and game away. The first things I wanna get are my monitor and my video card, the speakers can wait, I just wanna game in glorious, glorious HD.

12. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

My HDTV works great as a monitor, I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

Chuck

13. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    It depends on what type of HDTV you have I guess. Some Brands/Models don't work too well for TVs and PCs though some do. I'm planning to get either this 28" LCD HD monitor or this 27" HD LCD Monitor with a built in TV tuner. Right now I'm leaning towards the 28" due to it being bigger and having a faster response time.

14. Metal Chaos

News Credits:
    I decided to go for the Hanns-G 281HPB 28" HD LCD Monitor.

It sadly doesnt have any DVI ports but I'll just hook my PC up through an HDMI port since it has 2 and the card I'm getting will have an HDMI port. I'm really looking forward to playing War for Cybertron on this beast though. Maybe it'll go down in price too in this next month, I'd be happy with even a $50 decrease. Either way, I'm a be loving this monster monitor, especially when I'm gaming on it. :D  :D  :D 

And to think, I had originally wanted a 24", pathetic. Now going from a 22" to a 28" now that's an upgrade.