Getting a 3D HDTV in two months. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Hook, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Back in February 2009, I bought a Samgun Series 5 40 inch LCD after reading rave reviews about it.

Two years and a half later, the set looks like crap. Vertical banding, uneven blacks in the corners, etc. It generally looks good for everyday viewing, but the above-mentioned issues really stick out wehn watching a movie or playing games in the dark, especially in dark scenes or on 'loading' screens:

Here's a pic from a year ago, it has slightly worsen since then:
    [​IMG]

That said, I figured I should jump on the 3D bandwagon. Do you have any recommendations? Brand/model, LCD, plasma or LED-backlit LCD?

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Sorry to hear about your Samsung.
    They have a reputation for quality, but I guess there can be bad ones in any batch.

As for 3DTV, ask Prowl. :) 

3. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Part of me says wait for Glassless 3D TVs but that's if you're willing to wait a year or two.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, I'd recommend a Samsung, lol. It's the best I've seen for the price. I was 5 minutes from buying a Sony 2 months ago, so it could talk to the PS3, but I still went with the samsung. I love the almost non-existent rim around the set (almost looks like your image is floating) which makes 3D look even better.

Never had problem with their image. I even had a Samsung projection HD TV that is still alive now, and I bought it in 2001.

I will advise this though. Do NOT get the LG with the passive glasses. Yes, the glasses are cheaper (like the movie ones), but the entire set drops resolution when you go 3D. The difference in quality is night and day. Which is a bummer because that's a huge money saver. Glasses has dropped severely in price anyway. But I saw a movie running on one of those and you could see the jaggies as if you were watching an old PS1 game.

Also hook, do not buy a 3DTV that does not have Bluetooth glasses. Since I own two sets now, the bluetooth set has almost no ghosting and the 3D is better than the theaters. The old infra red ones still look great, but it's dated tech now.

I don't disagree with Magmatron, but having played the 3DS, I don't have hope for this tech being around (and affordable) any time soon. I can't even barely turn the 3DS without losing the 3D. I know Toshiba seems to have some way of making it work, but I can't imagine that being cheap. Maybe in 2-3 years.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. Hook

Facebook:
    I realize I bought a lemon and that Samsung is the hot brand in HDTVs now.

It boils down to Plasma and LCD. When compared to my inlaw's plasma set, my LCD doesn't look as good. I guess I'll go down to Best Buy and check the instore floor units.

Might upgrade in screen size. Bigger the better, right?

6. s10blazed

s10blazed Duly appointed...

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I sense some exaggeration on the LG having 'jaggies'. I have a newer 55" LG 3D TV and I love it. Coupled with the fact that I now have almost a dozen pairs of glasses and I could get prescription lenses if I wanted to - so I went with it. The couple active systems they had on display did not justify the extra cost to me. My wife swears the passive 3D is nicer and more pronounced but I can't see any difference between the two.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of 3D content out now anyway. I spend most of my viewing time in regular 2D HD.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yoda was wrong because he doesn't have a TV, so yeah.

Man, I dunno about the Plasma vs LCD deal. There has to be a reason why Plasmas are so much cheaper, but I know people who swear by them, and I trust those people. But they are huge energy drainers (not talking like a hippie, I mean electric bill). And I heard that they go bad quicker. But I know that their refresh rate is better (thus better for 3D), but the new Bluetooth 3D samsung I have looks fucking amazing in 3D. Playing Motorstorm on it is like looking through a bloody window.

The good thing about Best Buy is that they don't work on commission so you'll get some good opinions. Fortunately, with TVs, your eyes are the best judges.

I'm not rippin on them. I agree. I did exaggerate a bit about the jaggies. But they are there, and because some video games already have jaggies, I can imagine playing certain games in 3D being a mess. It is still a very affordable and awesome way to get 3D. I just got a bit spoiled by my original 3D Samsung.

If I was picking up a small 3D TV for the game room, I'd definitely get an LG. They also have the best/wide viewing angle.

Also Hook, if you like Uncharted, wait till you see that shit in 3D.

8. Hook

Facebook:
    Like? I fucking love that franchise! And it's all Bradder's fault.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a lot of this going on, lol.

Yeah, been playing the Beta in 3D. OMFG. Yes, Motorstorm makes your tummy go to your throat because you almost feel the Gs with 3D, but the lush environments of Uncharted look amazing in 3D.

10. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I keep a 60" Samsung Plasma 3D in my gaming room. Soooooooooooooooooooo worth it!

11. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Is that actually true?

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Electric bill? Probably not as a huge deal as some people say, but yes. They do heat up a lot more. The refesh rate is definitely true, so you do get a better image. But also true is that they don't last very long, and I have that on good account. Again, there has to be reason why you can find a 55 inch for almost half the price of an LCD of the same size and year.

13. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Plasma vs. LCD -

Sorry, I'm not trying to E-Peen here, but I'm a huge home theatre nut. Even moreso than Transformers.

The reason that you see Plasmas for cheaper than LCDs at similar sizes is because most of the time, the Plasma will be in 720p compared to the 1080p LCD.

Plasmas normally aren't made to go into the 1080p range until the 46-50" mark because of a few reasons:

1.) The technology is vastly more EXPENSIVE than LCDs

2.) The antialiasing is infinitely better by nature, so a 720p picture will still compete with a 1080p LCD.

When you see actual 1080p plasma sets vs. 1080p LCD sets, then you see the price go higher (normally significantly higher) on the plasma.

Now, as for picture, I live and die by plasma because LCD doesn't even compete:

1.) Plasma is the only technology that can achieve "true" blacks.

2.) The motion is infinitely better on plasma.

3.) Much better anti-aliased video.

4.) 0 MS Response time

5.) Contrast ratios that are out of this world.

6.) Burn-in is a thing of the past.

Now, in terms of energy consumption, it's been time and time again proven that it's overexaggerated. You're talking cents a month to dollars a YEAR difference on your electric bill.

14. Hook

Facebook:
    Great info, thanks a bunch!

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's actually very educational. Thanks for that.

Only one question. How about durability? Is that also exaggerated? I have no loyalty to TV brand of type, so if Plasma's are really making a comeback, I'll consider that whenever I want to get a new TV.

16. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    The Durability is great. On average, people expect them to last at least 10 years, and realistically, with the way technology moves, I'm sure most people wil have upgraded or replaced just out of sheer WANT by that time.

Plasmas are bar-none the champion in HD champion, even over new LED technology (and it's funny, because I type this on an LED monitor, sitting next to a bigassed plasma in my gaming room). That's why you're always going to see the Pioneer Kuro Elite at the top of the list.

The thing that is keeping a lot of companies from staying up with plasmas is the cost. Like I said earlier, plasmas are able to stay competitely priced with similar sized 1080p LCDs when they are brought down to 720p, but when the reolution is the same, you'll literally see the plasmas be hundreds, and even 1000+ at times more expensive than LCDs. With this economy, buying decisions are a lot harder, and name brand really has taken a toll on the Television market, so even bigger companies like Sony have dwindled down to almost not producing plasmas at all, while Samsung, Pioneer, and Panasonic have continued to shine.

You can't go wrong with a nice plasma. It'll hurt your wallet now, but you'll never look back man.

Another thing I will say is this:

Plasma technology is a helluva lot heavier than LCD, so if you're one that's looking to move your TV a lot (I know competitive gamers that literally take their TV with them to tournaments because of preference), it's not for you.

If you're getting a bigger set, definitely be prepared for a multiple man job, lol.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most game right now play in 720 anyway, to that isn't a big deal for me. That's very good info to carry with me to my next TV purchase... which won't be for a while, lest my fiance kick my ass.

18. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I switched from a 52 inch 1080p aquos to a 50 inch Samsung 720 p 3dtv this winter , and I can honestly say that this was a great choice. Gaming is smoother and looks a lot better. Plus, 3d is a nice option to have. So far I've mostly watched 3d movies and played gt5, but I think it's a great effect.

There are a few cautions I would state though for any brand of plasma or really even any tv:

Out of the box, run a set of images with different colors (ie one red screen, then 1 blue...) to ensure no dead pixels. I went through 4 sets before finding one w/o dead pixels.

Make sure you turn on pixel shift and scale the brightness back a bit for the first little while. This will reduce burn in on should reduce the likelihood that you will get banding like you did on your LCD. Also there is a wiper program built into some sets that rolls white to black across your set and if you make sure to run it when you notice the start of any burn on, it should repair it very easily

19. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

Fixed it for you. That is if you want something worth a crap at a normal price.

As for me, I have a 63" Samsung 3D Plasma. 3D definitely looks better (more depth and definition) at home than it does at the theatre. Saw the Green Lantern trailer at home the other day and the 3D was amazing on my TV, in the theater it was kinda meh. Transformers 3D trailer looked great too. Uncharted 3 though is what should be selling 3D TVs though, absolutely beautiful.

20. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

That's what I want! And you know it's coming, cause Nintendo did it, and I think there is now a smart-phone that has that feature too.

So, it's only a matter of time before we no longer have to wear those silly glasses. Plus, for those of us who wear glasses on a daily basis, it's even better!