Getting a 360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TreKain, Jun 22, 2007.

1. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I recently came into a nice chunk of change, and decided its time to get an XBox 360.

I havnt been following it much, but I know they put out the Elite, is it worth the money over the regular version (I do want to use hdmi). Is it even out yet? Bestbuy.com lists it as sold out, and just not available for store pickups. Is it pulling a Wii, and becoming elusive to get?

Also...I have a few ideas of games I want to pick up...let me hear some other suggestions of whats good out there.

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

The Elite is a limited edition and if you want to use HDMI then the Xbox Elite might just be what you're looking for.

As far as games go, it would seem that Gears of War is all the rage. I dont own it but I've played it and it's defently a game that shows what the 360 is capable of. Plus its a pretty kick ass gun fighting game :) 

Rainbow Six Las Vegas is the game that made me want to get a 360. Hell, I even bought the game before I owned the system. It's a very intense and agressive tactical shooter. I especially love how I can "paint" targets for my team so my team knows exactly who to shoot the moment before they blow open the door.

It's not out yet but Mass Effect is looking like it'll be a promicing RPG. It's made from Bioware and it's a scifi adventure. One neat gimmick is that it's still an RPG but when combat breaks out it's played like a squad based FPS.

3. Brownstreak

Brownstreak Banned

Get a regular 400 360, elites are for people that love getting ripped off.

4. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Do yourself a favor, just buy that 120GB drive if you need the space, the HDMI really just doesn't justify replacing your whole console for a new $480 unit unless you massive frakkin' screen. It's just as loud and runs just as hot.

You would hardly be "getting ripped off", but I'd really save the money and kit out the regular version instead.

5. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

He's not replacing a system though. He's getting his first (and hopfully only :)  ) 360.

6. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah...Im not replacing an old unit.

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    If its your first unit, and you want HDMI then I would get the Elite.

I have seen them in Target stores here in Dallas and my friend just bought one.
    I also use the Video Marketplace a lot -at least until Verizon offers On Demand in HD. As such, I am constantly doing memory management on my 20 GB drive. The Elite comes with a 100 GB Drive so you shouldn't have that issue.

If you do get one, and you do get Gears of War, look me up. I would love to play through that game again with someone.

My tag is Adam Smasher.

Crackdown is another good game to get for online coop play. Dead or Alive 4 is a good value too at $30 these days.

8. Lio Convoy75

Lio Convoy75 Well-Known Member

Make sure you do all the research before you purchase. The 360 has a very high rate of failure.

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home/D3Q7G8S2?page=1
    (Just one of many articles online, but one of the latest.)

On top of the red ring of death, things to also note are the 360's with Toshiba DVD drives in them tend to scratch your discs until they're unplayable. Try to replace the drive and MS detects you've modded your system and bans that console for life from XBox Live service. As well, you're paying 50 bucks each year to access online gaming.

There's a reason I didn't go with the 360. For those of you who did buy one and have good luck with it, I'm trilled. (Seriously, I don't mean it sarcasticly.) I just didn't want to take that chance, so I went with something else. I did the research and the risks involved with owning one of these consoles with the cost for online play just didn't cut it for me. If I'm gonna play online, I want it free, since I'm already paying to my ISP, and Microsoft sure doesn't need any more of my money.

On the plus side, I have been hearing that the new consoles coming out now have better cooling solutions, though not perfect. Time will tell if it'll solve the solder problem on the motherboard, which leads to the red ring of death.

If you buy one, let me say this strongly. Keep it cool. Keep it in an open area where it can breathe. Otherwise, 12-13 months down the road, the article I linked above might apply to you. Good luck with the system and I hope your story's a success story with the 360!

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    My 360 failed -twice.
    I was without a system for 9 days total between those two failures plus Microsoft gave me a free game for sticking with them. So, yeah, I am not going to pretend there is no failure rate on the systems -it is there. But, I think Microsoft has handled what could have been a business impacting bomb quite well.

I have no idea what LioConvoy75 is talking about with the Toshiba drive scratching discs, but yeah, you will kill your disc if you move the console while the disc is spinning.

As for the "cost" of the online service it is $50 for 12 months, but they always give you a bonus month when you buy 12 months. So, $50 plus tax is around $54 in most states which equals $4.15 per month for a comprehensive online service that is currently without peer.

Hell, I used to spend more than that per day on Street Fighter and King of Fighters back in the 95. :thumb .

10. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

If you can't find the Elite, you may want to try K-Mart. I saw one there, and since nobody ever thinks to buy games there it may be worth a trip.

11. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

If you even think you're going to need the extra HD space the definatley search out an Elite, you'll end up saving $100 if you have to go back and purchase it ( it being the 120gig HD) later. The 20gig HD is really closer to 15gigs and can get filled up rather quickly if you buy a lot of video, rip music to it, or download additional content for games such as the Call of Duty map packs that end up being 1gig+. If you have the 360 networked you can avoid the music problem by just streaming it off your computer or even plugging in an MP3 player to any of the usb slots. Another advantage to using HDMI is the video upscaling, the 360 will upscale DVDs but only with the VGA or HDMI cable since it requires a digital signal. My VGA input on my TV just didn't work so well for me, plus I'm limited to the 3.5mm (headphone size) audio input when using VGA so I had to get creative and make a rca to 3.5mm connection.

My disc drive did have a problem with scratching discs, it only happened with certain games and only made Call of Duty 2 and 3 unplayable, luckily they were under warranty and replaced for free. I've since made my console horizontal and haven't had this issue. I also seem to be a lucky one, I got my console a little more than a year ago and haven't had any hardware failures yet (crosses fingers).

12. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

I've had my 360 for about a year, and it's given me no problems.

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I've had mine for 4 months. And it started freezing up this week. It'll be heading to Microsoft sometime next week.

14. geerave

geerave Well-Known Member

the new forza game is pretty sweet. i dont even like racing games, but im having a blast with it!

15. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get the Elite. You will not be disappointed*.

*Regardless of what those who don't even own one might say.

16. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Get a PS3 instead *runs* ;) 

17. J.H.N

J.H.N the HARSH one

Own a ps3 wii and 360(since day one and never had a problem w/ it) and by far the 360 is the best, games look better than on the ps3 imo. The ps3 may get better when lair and home hit but right now my 360 gets most of the attention :)  My Wii (he he) is fun but other than zelda and paper mario it dosnt go on much. Thats just my opinion on the three but to each their own

18. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

I'm also thinking about getting a 360, as I just can't justify PS3's huge price of their console.

I pretty much want it for the Transformers game, since I don't really know what other good games are on the system.

19. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

I heard from a few stores that the Elite will be shipping out again in August or so.
    Anyone got any more info on this?

20. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So wait, what's this elite version? I thought there was only two versions, a $300 version and a $400 version.