Get any great sketches from the IDW artists?

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by payton34, Jun 27, 2010.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got a great Fort Max sketch from Marcelo Matere (which he autographed, as well as two other prints of his) and some other great prints from Dan Khanna (both Matere and Khanna are great guys, very personable and great with the fans). I didn't end up buying anything from Alex Milne, but can't go into detail because the subject is apparently verboten.

So, if you got a sketch from these guys, show it off! Here's the Fort Max that Matere did:

[​IMG]

2. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Nice looking sketch. I bought some prints from Matere last year in Pasadena. Got Cyclonus and Hotrod prints. He seemed like a very nice guy.

As for Milne, his artwork always looks too busy for my tastes.

3. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    Got the following prints:

Alex Milne's "Ongoing" Optimus Prime
    Dan Khanna's Dinobot group shot
    Marcelo Matere's TRU Perceptor

4. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    I got a Motormaster head, and a redux Scorch vewhicle mode drawing :) 

5. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Wish I would have been there this year. I would have liked a Soundwave sketch from Matere. Cool piece.

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    On Friday before the dealer room opened I was running back and forth setting up for that afternoon. On my way through the main hall I see Casey Coller. He stops me and we chat for a little bit and then he says "I've got something for you" and starts rummaging through his portable art portfolio. Turns out he remembered a fanart piece I did for him last year of his Blurr design (his first IDW gig) and he pulled this out:

[​IMG]

CASEY F'ING COLLER DREW ME ART OF MY OPTIMUS PRIME GIRL.

Seriously. I was on Cloud 9. I was showing it off to everyone I knew. A damn yeti could've squashed me right then and there and I would've died the happiest human pancake on Earth. XD

I've gotta draw him a new version of Blurr now. I was looking back at the piece I originally gave him and it's really crap. Definitely not worthy of this. ^_^;

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    These sketches are awesome, guys :thumb 

8. Autobot City Comics 2008

Autobot City Comics 2008 Drama Geek

News Credits:
    the sketches are great but the guy that stop takeing orders was an ASS

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends on why he stopped taking orders. If he had a ton he needed to go through, and was worried he wouldn't have enough time to finish them all, why shouldn't he stop taking them? It's better than him taking people's money or orders and then telling them "yeah, wasn't able to finish it" at the end of the show. A lot of artists at conventions stop taking commissions if they've got too much of a backlog. They're only human, you know?

10. Autobot City Comics 2008

News Credits:
    no i was not getting a sketch just asking about his work u know small talk and he was just short with everything just as ass thats all

11. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well when i have a list of 40 sketches to do over the show, and i have to stop and talk to people and i notice that i've only got 4 to 5 done, then i have to be a little more brief with the conversation. but if you think i'm an ass thats your opinion. i guess i am an ass for sitting in the hotel lobby for 4 hours trying to finish peoples sketches instead of having a good time with my friends. i guess i'm an even bigger ass for mailing sketches out to people who couldn't wait around after the show and i'm covering the cost on mailing it out. yeah, thats super dickish of me there.
    sorry i couldn't do more. i usually cap my list off at 40 sketches. i got 35 requests on the friday which was crazy. so when i got 5 more on the saturday i just stopped taking them. these sketches aren't like quick 1 minute scribbles that i'll do if someone brings me a tpb comic of a book that people get signatures in. i figure if your going to buy a sketch off of me, then i should put the effort into it and make it look like i didn't spend a minute on it.
    but whatever. there is much more i could go into, but whats the use. most have made up there minds already and thats fine with me.

12. Tirade

So I taking it you are one of the artists (IDW) that was at BotCon? I appreciate you taking the time to respond in this thread. Just out of curiousity, is this Alex Milne?

I can only imagine how busy it can be as an artist at BotCon (seriously). When I was at BotCon 2009, that place was hectic. Heck, I didn't even know you guys were taking sketch requests. I thought that was a lot to ask considering the circumstances. If you have to start turning some people down, that can be a problem. Fair or not, there are those that will just see you as a jerk. I think it's great that you don't want to rush the sketch for the fan/customer. That does show great artistic pride. That said, I don't think you guys should be taking sketch requests. Seems like far too much hassle. I was more than happy buying prints at BotCon 2009. Those were so beautiful.

EDIT: It's nice to get both sides of the coin here.

13. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yep, that be me :) 

well, i always like sketching things for people. since i do sell prints at my table there might not be an image there that everyone likes, but with a sketch, then i can make the character they really like or want. i just like doing them. also gives me a chance to draw someone that i might not normally draw, so it's really fun that way.
    the only draw back to sketching while selling prints and signing books is that i have this stop,start,stop,start thing that goes one that really eats up my time. i try to talk to people also, but there are times when i'm really trying to stay focused on the sketch so i can get it done. especially when i know the person who ordered it is standing there waiting for it. i guess i could get more of them done if i didn't offer color sketches, but i like the look of them when there done. then there are the people who bring up a trade or there autograph book, and i'll just do a little 1 minute doodle in there. people might get mad about that, but i consider it part of the signature sometimes. especially if it's a book i've worked on. but there only 30 seconds to 1 minute and they're never as good as a sketch that has been commissioned.
    again, i can't make everyone happy. but for most of the people who know me, they know that at these cons that i'm always working on peoples sketches. i was at the bar doing sketches, in the lobby after hours, even at the botcon dinner i was working on stuff for people. but i guess for some that makes me a ass or a dick. so be it.

14. Tirade

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond in this thread. It's not often we get to hear both sides of the argument in a matter like this.

It sounds like your were incredibly busy during the BotCon event. I'm impressed you were able to finish as many sketches as you did. If I were in your shoes, I would probably be wasting time talking. I tend to ramble, so I can easily lose track of time. It is true though: you can't make everyone happy. Some people want to chat with the artist while others want a custom sketch. And of course there are those that really want both (which is asking quite a bit). I'm honestly not sure how you guys manage during such an event. Interacting with the public can by trying at times. I realize that more than ever having worked retail.

15. payton34

News Credits:

Well I, for one, didn't follow you around 24-7, I can only go by what I observed for the hours that I spent in the dealer room. On Sunday I was there for at least four hours, I saw that you had the "no more sketches" sign up, and didn't see you working on any sketches at all while you were at the table. Then two females came to the table and said they were also from Canada, and a few minutes later you started doing a small Bumblebee sketch for them.

Also, I am sorry but staying in the lobby catching up on sketches while you could be hanging out with your friends isn't really an "above & beyond the call of duty"-type of action, it's fufilling a task that you have already been paid to do a.k.a. showing professional behavior.

I know that different artists have their own style and their own pace of doing their work, but just for comparison's sake: Marcelo Matere was working on a piece for me, stopping to talk to people as they came by (and he had QUITE a few people constantly at his booth), showing them his sketches, etc. and finished mine in an hour and fifteen minutes. I would imagine that if he were free to work on it uninterrupted, it would have taken much less time.

On the other hand, when I paid for a sketch (B&W, no color) from you on Friday, I was told it would be the next day. Fine, no problem. Then it wasn't ready Saturday, "it'll be Sunday". Then it wasn't ready Sunday, "I"ll have to mail it to you".

Also, I would imagine that if you were working on sketches in the hotel lobby, at the bar, or at the dinner, you weren't being bombarded by a MASS of people distracting you like it was at the dealer room. Plus, mailing the sketches to the people who couldn't wait until after the show isn't saint-worthy behavior. It's trying to make the customer happy after they've already paid you and you're 48 hours behind schedule, and trying not to inconvenience them any more because their post-Botcon schedule doesn't coincide with yours.

Again, I wasn't around you 24-7, I can only go by what I witnessed first-hand when I was there.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  16. Autobot City Comics 2008

News Credits:
    ^ AMEN I do all the comic cons in my state i get the artist and all that other crap going and every time they come FIRST COME FIRST SERVE he does it right there no come get it tomorrow or i will mail it to you oh and he can talk and draw@ the same time and they are AWAYS HAPPY FYI he works for marvel and does Captain America

17. payton34

News Credits:
    Anyway, getting things back on topic...I got some great prints from Dan Khanna and Marcelo Matere, I'll put up some scans of them later today.

18. potatojoe

potatojoe Active Member

Ebay:
    Wow Alex, I was checking out some of your sketches on comic art fans and can see why you were so busy! Hope to catch you at comic convention so I can get a sketch in my book.