German title for ROTF changed

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Philister, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The German title of "Revenge of the Fallen" was originally supposed to be "Die Rückkehr" (The Return). Now according to information from the German Transformers site NTF-Archive it has been changed. New title: "Die Rache" (The Revenge). We'll see if that's really the final title or maybe it will go full-out and be "Die Rache der/des Gefallenen" (Revenge of the Fallen, "des" if its a singular Fallen, "der" if it refers to multiple beings)

Source: NTF-Archive.de and Filmstarts.de

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, you crazy Germans and your voice overs..I actually pity you for not being able to see a movie or tv-show in it's original language most of the time.

The Revenge makes more sense than The Return..but I'm having doubts of why they can't go with the full title.

3. cornpone

cornpone Lobot&me

Agreed. I lived in the Netherlands, only a dozen km from Germany, and enjoyed their subtitled-only delivery method (except for cartoons). Gotta appreciate those countries that has most people fluent in multiple languages by the end of high school. Now if only the residents of the Netherlands would abandon their horrible, most terrible language intended for E.T. and mad drunken hermits that live in boats. Honeslty, I spoke Dutch by accident at the age of two when I had a chest cold. ;)  :p  Revenge of the Fallen...if it translates in the dictionary, use it.

4. Digilaut

News Credits:
    That, sir, is an insult to my proud and honorable Dutch language!!

...and it's also pretty true. It does sound horrible. :lol  Dutch songs sound way more cheesy than English songs..

5. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah, don't pity us. German voice overs are by far the best in the world. I once saw a German movie translated into English... I think my ears started bleeding after five minutes. Besides, when was the last time you watched Transformers: Armada or Energon in its original (Japanese) language?

6. cornpone

cornpone Lobot&me

Well, the Dutch language does vary greatly, and the south area near Belgium has a soft French approach which is quite pleasing. My impression of the eastern Dutch, where I lived, and Germanic tongues is that they sound angry, even in the most gentle of circumstances. Seriously, I'd ask directions or something and it felt like I was being yelled at. However, both allow for easy emoting, which is a nice contrast to our near-monotone expressions. As for watching Transformers in asian tongues, my G1 set came from Hong Kong, so has Chinese menus and language, and Japanese language as well. Sometimes it is just fun to watch like that, like Telemundo in the States, though Telemundo has other reasons to watch what is not verbally understood ;) 

7. Digilaut

News Credits:
    To be honest, I prefer to steer away from Armada and Energon as much as I can :lol 

I think something goes lost when a movie or show gets translated..it just stops feeling natural all of a sudden (and it doesn't help alot of translations future piss-poor voice talents that practically voice every show with the only voice they have).

When I was on vacation in Germany a couple of years back, I watched a German versions of the A-Team Star Trek Voyager..the voices didn't feel natural to me at all..but maybe it's because I was too used to the English voices (and German voices are differently-pitched).

Fun fact: one of my German colleagues actually didn't know what Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice sounded like because he had only heared him with a German voice-over all these years :lol 

8. cornpone

cornpone Lobot&me

Too funny, the best part of watching and Arnie flick is for his voice. Yeah, in the NDL there is like one main cartoon voice-over guy. Nothing worse than hearing the same voice for such varied characters.

9. Digilaut

News Credits:
    They're doing the same with Animated right now. Optimus Prime is voiced by the same man that voiced Prime in Armada, who sounds really old and wise. Except in Animated, Prime is a young bot, so the voice makes no sense. Another voice is done by some third-grade actor that supposedly thinks he can do voices. Voice studios in the Netherlands should be banned, because they obviously don't know what the hell they are even doing.

It's a shame, when I was a kid, practically every cartoon was in English, with Dutch subtitles. I managed to learn all my English skills way before I got English lessons at school, all thanks to cartoon and video games. Nowadays, kids seem to become less and less skilled because everything is in the native language.

Dutch accents do vary greatly indeed. I'm from the west, and on multiple occassions I've been told it can sound kind of harsh or direct (and people always seem to be able to recognize my accent, even though I thought I spoke 'regular':lol ). I currently work in the southern part of the country, and I really had to get used to the more 'Bourgognic' accent of the people here. Strange as this may sound. even their voices reflect their more rural nature of enjoying the good life, drinking fine wine and partying..even the people that live in the cities :lol 

10. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

the german title helps prove that the fallen isnt a character and is indeed refering to the decepticons

think about it, if the original title was "the return" and everyone at first assumed "revenge of the fallen" meant the returning decepticons seeking revenge - it makes sense to assume the movie is about the return of the decepticons.... now we have "the revenge" which still means the same thing as "revenge of the fallen"...if the movie was about the fallen, wouldnt the new german title make more sense being "the fallen" rather than, "the revenge" ?

11. Digilaut

News Credits:
    it proves nothing. Maybe they kept the name 'The Fallen' out because it is a character name, which is something they regularly not change, even in dubbing.
    A character like 'Skids' would still be called Skids, instead of..whatever the German word for skids is. :)  So for The Fallen, they'd either have to:

1. Call him The Fallen in English like every other character is named in English, thus making the movie's title "Die Rache der Fallen" which means the title is half German, half English. Not a good idea.

2. Call him in German..(what is it? Der Gevallen? Der Gefallene?), which could make the title 'Die Rache der Gefallen", but then he'd be the only bot NOT to have an English name. Not a good idea, either.

12. Bottom Out

the fallen isnt a name, the guys birth certificate doesnt say "the fallen" on it, the title "the fallen" is just that, a title and therefore would not have to be kept in english. Just like in the matrix, neo is called "the one" - the spanish dub would call him numero uno...its just a title

13. Digilaut

News Credits:
    You are right, but don't forget pretty much all of the Transformers are named after everyday car parts and other items. They could translate names like 'Ironhide' or 'Mudflap' or 'Ratchet', yet they somehow never do. The Fallen is a special case, I agree, still I believe they'd keep names in unison, even if the Fallen isn't a real name but more of a title.

14. cornpone

cornpone Lobot&me

Perhaps the Germans, and most other countries are not aware of such detail. If they were, that would be spoilerish.

15. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    i take it you wouldn't believe the fallen existed even if he stared you in the face.. right from the teaser poster

16. Bottom Out

possibly, but who names these movies for thier respected markets? arent these people involved with the film?

17. Bottom Out

its not that i dont believe he exists..im just not jumping to conclusions. there is no reason to believe that face is of the fallen...people are just assuming that it is...that face might not be even in the movie...maybe just some ancient memory of a past leader...some cybertronian representation of what they believe thier god might look like...maybe the fallen is just mentioned and isnt really a live action character in the movie at all...that face also looks a lot like soundwave - minus the visor, maybe its soundwave? why not? it being soundwave is just as acceptable a theory as it being the fallen...the german title of the film does raise an eyebrow though...especially when you look at the original title....

18. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Y'know I don't even care if the face is the fallen or the climbers all I know is that I want a toy of that thing in the poster, because he looks awesome.

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    German titles for movies don't always make sense.

"Tomorrow Never Dies" was translated as "Der Morgen stirbt nie". Although "Morgen" can mean both "tomorrow" and "morning", giving it a male article ("der") clearly makes it "the morning". Thus, the German title translates back into English as "The Morning Never Dies".

20. Hi Q

Hi Q I don't want a user title

News Credits:
    QFT!
    There were Dutch dubbed versions around of at least More than meets the eye though. Which were horrible because names got translated as well, and that sounds ridiculous. Can you imagine calling Soundwave Geluidsgolf?