Genesis: Pinocchio

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Delta Star, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Time for another crazy theory of mine. You know, the ones where I speculate wildly and everyone says I read into things WAY too much.

I'll start by throwing out an absurd idea, then I'll do my best to back it up. Should be good for a laugh, if nothing else.

Here goes: I think Pinocchio is the grandfather of Transformers.

You know how it works with time travel, right? You go back a million years and kill one tiny insect, and somehow that can destroy the whole world. Maybe that dead insect now gets eaten by a bird that otherwise would have starved and that bird's grandson kills the last of a species of rare flower that holds the cure to a devastating plague that wipes out everyone in a country wherein would reside the only person who could stop a nuclear world war... you get what I'm saying, even if you can't quite follow it.

Well I say Transformers wouldn't exist anymore if you were to go back in time and kill Carlo Collodi before he could invent Pinocchio. At least, TFs wouldn't be the same.

I'll trace it for you. Back in the 50's, a mere seven decades after Pinocchio was created, Osamu Tezuka created Astro Boy. At the time, the similarities to Pinnochio were obvious - a young artificial boy striving to be human. It was an obvious homage.

Now, who grew up watching Astro Boy, and openly admitted to being influenced by it? None other then Go Nagai, creator of the 70's anime show called Mazinger Z (you may know it as Tranzor Z). This spawned the spin-off Grendizer Z (Goldorak to us French Canadians), and set the tone as the two longest running mecha anime shows ever. Watch them and it's apparent that they had a massive impact on all things related to Japanese mecha ever since. Macross, Machine Robo, Microman and Diaclone all came a decade later, and each drew heavily from Go Nagai's style and ideas.

I don't have to tell you these lines all had an enormous impact on what we know today as The Transformers, so there you have it. The seed for TFs was planted well over a hundred years ago, in my opinion, when Pinocchio was thought up.

What say you?

2. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

yup. it makes sense. same with walt disney. Osamu Tezuka was inspired to create cartoons by watching very early walt disney shorts, like steam boat willie. kill walt disney, and we don't get transformers either.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    An interesting theory, similarly, you could call Walt Disney the grandfather of transformers.

Walt Disney (who was responsible for the studio that made the classic film version of pinnochio, although not the original novel) was a major influence on the art and storytelling of Osamu Tezuka, creator of Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy). Theoretically, without Disney, there would be no astro boy and no transformers.

Although I would definately recognize pinnochio as a story that eventually led to the transformers, I don't think he qualifies as THE grandfather. In all things, science, film, literature, we are, as Chartres and Newton put it, "standing on the shoulders of giants". We are the product of those that came before us, and realistically, everything we do has had dozens of influences, without any of which the result would be drastically different.

I think what you've done is traced back one series of influences, and do a source many people would not think of, but I imagine there are many other influences in the creation of the transformers (and many others that influenced those influences, etc. etc.).

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Moreover it was probably Disney's version of Pinocchio that planted the seed of Tetsuwan Atom (a.k.a. Astro Boy) in Tezuka's head. Also, kill Disney and anime as we know it wouldn't exist, as nearly all anime and manga from the '50s onward drew heavily from Tezuka.

Of course Collodi himself drew from other older literary sources when he wrote Pinocchio. You can do this with any work of fiction. All great works of fiction are inspired in some way by previous fiction, back into the untraceable past.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

You're out of your mind. I love it. Brilliant!

6. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Actually I totally agree. Its not a direct influence, but Pinocchio is the first.

7. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Way outside of the box and I dig it! Continue on with the crazy theories, sir, you have my blessing!

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good theory Delta. I also think shows like 8th Man and the original Gigantor helped lead to the Transformers as well.