Generations?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

We all know G1, and G2 and the various other's that followed. But the rest have different names and thus makes it hard to number'em all.
    So, my question is this. If you were to number them from G1 to the last gen, how many generations of Transformers are there?

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    We discussed this a while back, but "G3" is too short to come up in search results.

On a technical level in "human" terms, a generation is roughly 20-25 years. And without getting into a religious discussion, in Biblical terms a generation is approximately 40 years which might be a more relevant time-frame for a fictional race of sentient robots.

So you'd first have to figure out that mathematical equation if you're striving for an accurate estimate of time per TF generation.

3. Tigertrack

I don't exactly mean generations in that sense of the term. Would each "series" be considered a generation? Or should I really be asking how many series there are in total?

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this can be easy or can be hard.
    for me G1 is a generation, but i do leave a little room for G2 to be a part of it.

then the Beast era (Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Neo, etc) is another generation.

RiD is a generation.

the Unicron Trilogy (imo, i could be wrong) can be a generation even though some elements of each show/toyline are different.

Movie toys- generation.
    Classics/Universe 2.0/Generations- a generation.
    Animated- a generation.

the one series i have trouble calling a generation is Universe 1.0 because even though it had its own backstory and all, it was REPAINT/RETOOL CENTRAL.

i guess i can call it a generation to avoid fanboy vitriol, but it still isn't an official one to me.

that's how i classify the generations.

does that help?

5. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    For me, G2 was very fitting for the Marvel Comic series because the villains were described as descendants of Decepticons.

However, to call the toyline "G2" was a bit of a stretch.

6. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

It depends on what you consider a generation. There are obviously multiple universes. The G1 universe involves G1, G2, Beast Wars and Beast Machines. Then you have RiD. After that the Armada/Energon/Cybertron Universe, and then Animated. Of course, it speaks nothing of the Japanese continuities or the Movieverse.

7. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

This ^ so far.

I prefer to tie in related generations as much as possible, otherwise all you are doing is listing continuities. That is, if you place clear and specific markers between continuities.

G1 = G1, G2 (which makes things messy), Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Classics, Universe 1.0 & 2.0, Henkei et al (does have a G1 storyline in the comics), Generations & WFC.

G3 (already used G2, so this must be G3 by default I guess) - RiD

G4 = Unicron Trilogy, A/E/C

G5 = Animated

G6 = Movieverse

G7 = ??? Prime ???

If we are trying to number them, then I would go for this right now as I can't think of anything better.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

The Japanese series' are all G1 or at the very least based in G1.

Calling anything after G2 a "generation" is kind of a fallacy as it doesn't follow a generation after G2. Aside from the Beast Era shoe-horning themselves into the G1 timeline, nothing else has any relation whatsoever to the Ark crew from '84. RiD was set entirely apart from everything that had come before, as did the Unicron Trilogy. It kind of took on that Kamen Rider/Super Sentai approach to making a new show every year.

"Generation 2" was just a marketing ploy anyway to try to refresh the franchise for a new generation of kids, as the newly termed "G1" fans are all in high school and such. And "extreme" hadn't gained popularity yet (GIJoe Extreme, Ghostbusters Extreme, etc.).

9. Tigertrack

Seems like this question is much harder to answer! But, from Auto Morphs answer, there's basically seven gen's?

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I personally would consider Beast Wars its own Generation, but seven seems about right.

The important thing to remember when considering Transformers Generations - it'll only ever be about 5 years worth of toys. That's the standard length of a child's interest. By then they'll have grown up and moved on, and if you look at the various longer running series, you can actually see it:

Generation 1 - 1984 - 1990
    Generation 2 - 1992 - 1995
    Beast Series - 1996 - 2000
    Unicron Series - 2002 - 2006
    Movie - 2007 - present

There are your generations. Generations based on the age and attention span of the target audience which periodically needs rebooting to attract a new target audience. Although I'm not sure what effect the ongoing success of the movies will have on this model.

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's no concrete answer that will satisfy everyone.

On the big spreadsheet I maintain, there are about 75 different series names (Alternator, Music Label, Galaxy Force, Henkei, Robotmasters, etc...).

So we'll be on something like G76, G77, and G78 when Powercore Combiners, WFC, and Generations hit retail. :lol 

12. Tigertrack

I don't think Alternators count as a generation as they are only toy-line based? Talking about series, not toy-lines. But yea, if you count them there's a shit-load.

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Yeah, I was trying to contain continuities into groupings, rather than all the toyline and sub-lines. I suppose that's a whole other thread!

14. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

A strange question, but a valid one. I pay attention to all the various universes, and many of these "Generations" may coincide with the main G1 continuity, or just contain one continuity of their own. This is mostly just a chronilogical thing along with major reboots, IMO.

G1: The original cartoon, the Marvel Comics, many comics up until today (including manga), Classics, parts of Universe 2.0, WFC, and much more.
    G2: The small reboot of the franchise actually called G2.
    G3: Beast Era.
    G4: RiD. A very short series, but vastly different from anything before.
    G5: The Unicron trilogy.
    G6: Movieverse
    G7: Animated
    G8: Transformers Prime (unless it fits into another Generation.)

15. UltraMarcus28

UltraMarcus28 Maximal

News Credits:
    most of those arent generations because they arent cannon with eachother. so the longest generation string would be 5 (WFC, G1, G2, BW, BM) as far as i know.

16. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Except that in spite of having different names at retail, G1, Beast Wars, and Beast Machines are all part of the same fiction timeline. So from a continuity standpoint, both BW and BM are clearly part of G1.

Again, it's best to just look at it in the way that suits you, as there's no definitive answer.

17. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Spot on mate.

18. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

What he said.

19. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    This is the only one I strongly agree with.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    You left out Animated, shame on you. :gen069: 

Not that I'm disagreeing, but when you factor in run lengths you also get some really unbalanced generations. RiD was 50 episodes or so, while the Unicron Trilogy was 155 or so, given unaired/removed episodes.

Also, by your own definition of having a show to count, does G2 really count? It just had an edited G1 cartoon. Does Robot Masters count? It had a series of CGI animated specials.

Do shows that directly lead into each other count as one or more? G1->Headmasters->Masterforce->Victory->Zone are all one series, but each are a kind of successive generation to the prior. We see the previous leader pass the torch and get a mostly new cast with each series. Similarly, BW->BWII->BWNeo->BM are all progressive in the same way. Each of those "trains" pretty much need to be watched in order for full enjoyment.