Generations Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by guard convoy, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    *cough*

2. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm really not a fan of the United paint scheme - unfortunately I've got it on pre-order and can't cancel. Guess I'll eBay the sucker when it arrives.

It's a real pain second guessing which version of each toy will be better, Hasbro or Takara. It was so much simpler when it was Henkei :p 

3. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

agreed!

4. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    double agree. its not only a pain its expensive. especially if the united one turns out to look terrible

5. T16skyhopp

T16skyhopp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wheeljack is a very pretty toy. A+ hasbro.

6. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just opened and transformed mine. Pretty good, but mine has two left hands. Anyone have one with two right hands and want to trade?

+-MWG-+

7. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't go to Powered Convoy for help. Over on the Allspark, he posted a pic of his United Wheeljack, which had two left hands. And he just got his Generations one, which also had two lefts. Bad bit of luck there.

8. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

Wow..well, may be he should go out and buy a lotto ticket.

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    Stumpyness be damned. I've waited too long for direct update of Wheeljack and this one does not disappoint in any way shape or form for me.

Him being short does not bother me one single bit since he's that awesome. Easily one of my favorite of the CLA/UNI/GEN/RTS line.

10. rodimus_hotrod

rodimus_hotrod The Intelligent Idiot

This toy is the Dogz Bollockz !:thumbs2: 
    If you can grab him then do you won't be disappointed

11. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got mine today, absolutely loving him.

13. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

[​IMG]

So awesome.

14. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Because VW Beatles aren't the same size as A-10 Thunderbolts and commercial hovercraft. For that matter, semi trucks aren't larger than A-10 Thunderbolts and commercial hovercraft.

15. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    because legends figures are too small and simply aren't as nice toys as scouts. I want a scout class Brawn. the legend not having decent articulation makes me sad :( 

16. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome toy, and an awesome Wheeljack. My only complaint comes after seeing the United- I personally like Hasbro's more with the exception of the clear ears. They don't stand out very well and would have look better with some silver paint. Still, that is minor. Great figure overall.

17. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Prelude: Wheeljack is a rather extensive remold of Reveal the Shield Turbo Tracks, so this review will focus mainly on the differences between the two figures. You should read the Tracks review, too, to get the full info on this figure.

Robot Mode: Putting Wheeljack’s robot mode next to Turbo Tracks, one notices quite a few differences between the two variations of the same mold. There’s the new head, of course. I’ve heard quite a few people complain about it, though I’m not sure why. It’s a pretty good adaption of the head of the cartoon character and just about my only complaint is that the light pipe gimmick isn’t so hot. But anyway, you can easily swap it for the head of Energon Downshift (see picture above), that one works, too. But back to topic, Wheeljack’s got a new head. He’s also got different wing tips for his shoulder wings and the white missiles Tracks came with have been replaced with wrenches (which can double as missiles, too, if you want).

Those are just the most obvious changes, though. Wheeljack’s legs have been reengineered quite a bit, not just turned around. Not only do they include storage space for Wheeljack’s wrenches, they’re also a bit shorter than Track’s legs and put the wheels much further down, further differentiating the two figures. Due to the shorter legs and a slightly wider chest (the head sits lower and the shoulders move a bit further out), Wheeljack appears a lot stockier than Tracks, which nicely fits with how their original G1 toys differentiated. Very nicely done.

Differences to Tracks aside, this figure is clearly Wheeljack, no doubt about it. The look, the build, the wrenches, everything fits together very well. The best Wheeljack robot so far in Transformer history.

Vehicle Mode: The differences between Wheeljack and Tracks in vehicle mode are few. Wheeljack adds a front and rear spoiler and, of course, the customary G1 Wheeljack paintjob, meaning white with red and green stripes. The detailing on the car is decent, though a tad more here and there would have looked good. There is a Reprolabels set for this guy, if you want to make him more G1 accurate, but it’s not a must-have.

Just like Tracks this guy, too, has a flight mode in vehicular form. G1 Wheeljack was able to unfold his shoulder wings from underneath the car, so it kinda makes sense that he can do that here, too. Doesn’t look any better than it does for Tracks, but it’s a nice touch of nostalgia nevertheless. So bottom line, a solid car mode with no room for complaint.

Remarks: To me Wheeljack was one of the most memorable characters from the G1 cartoon. The Autobots’ resident mad scientist created, among other things, the Dinobots, the Immobilizer ray, the counter to Dr. Arkeville’s hypno chip, better brains for the Dinobots, and, in the Marvel UK comics, an impenetrable defense system for the Autobot base (which the Autobots then had to defeat because Wheeljack turned it on when everybody was outside). He is also the very first Autobot to ever appear on TV, as he’s in the opening scene of the G1 pilot episode “More than Meets the Eye”. Sadly he was among the casualties of the 1986 Transformers movie, his body lying lifeless next to that of Windcharger. In the Japanese cartoon continuity (which doesn’t include the Movie) he lived on, though, to make cameo appearances in the Headmasters and Victory series.

Now there are two very good reasons for buying this Wheeljack figure. One, it’s a primary example of how to properly use a single mold to make to very different-looking figures. And two: It’s Wheeljack. To me the latter was my main reason for getting him, but the former is a pretty solid reason, too. Anyway, what I’m saying is: buy Wheeljack! Even if you’ve already got Tracks.

Rating: A-

18. NeoZeRo35

NeoZeRo35 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is going to sound like a silly question, but I thought I read/heard this somewhere that Wheeljack is tad shorter than Tracks? I don't have either one yet, but if this is true, how is that so if they are the same mold?

19. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wheeljack's legs have been remolded in a lot of different ways. During transformation, both have the bottom legs slide down, but the remold in Wheeljack's legs causes his to not slide down as much. However, it's a nice tradoff since Wheeljack has a wider range of movement and stands much better thanks to reworked feet. I can actually fiddle with his feet to make him as tall as Tracks but it's really not much of an issue IMO. This mold honestly seems more Wheeljack than Tracks to me.

20. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, the lower legs are among the parts that are not the same. Wheeljack has new lower leg panels, so that the backs of his legs don't look like shins, and there's no kneecaps to get in the way of articulation. Also, they have weapon clip points to store the wrenches, and the wheels are no longer attached to the legs, but to the feet.

The legs don't slide up as far so that they don't expose the sliders in the legs and give him ugly hollow knees.