Heavy/Scratch: Generations Wheeljack - Height Tutorial & Leg Mods

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Apr 4, 2011.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Tools

Dremel & bit shown in attached image
    Hobby Knife/X-Acto Knife
    Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel (or your preferred choice)
    Evergreen Strip Styrene (square) - .125 x .125 (3.2 x 3.2 mm)
    Jewelers screwdriver set

Tutorial

For those interested in extending Wheeljack's height and making him more proportional, this tuts for you! Just follow along and enjoy.

1) Using a small phillips head screwdriver, unscrew the two screws holding the back of Wheeljack's leg to the front and remove it.

2) Remove the front of the leg (car hood/feet) from the gray leg extender/slider.

3) Using the Dremel bit shown with RED arrows pointing to it in the attached photo, begin to drill out the channel a bit longer. Use a slow speed so it won't jump around or take any excess plastic out. I use a Dremel Stylus and I used the 3rd setting (1 & 2 weren't cutting well enough or fast enough).

4) Once you've drilled out the channel and extended it near the end, place the front of the leg back into the channel and make sure it fits. The bit shown is not the exact width of that channel, so you'll need to go slow and grind a bit extra on the sides to allow the piece to slide up and down the channel still. Remember, don't go too low at the bottom. You don't want to drill too much and end up ruining the entire piece. Leave a small amount near the bottom to catch the leg when extending in bot mode. Also, you will want to cut the light gray piece (with the channel) near the top--the knee joint on it needs to be more of an "L" shape, instead of the angled shape that it has. This allows the leg to slide in fully once you add a styrene part in the next section.

5) Next, take the back of the leg (the small black piece we removed at the beginning) and look at the inside of it. There is a small area (or "lip") that is right under the middle screw hole. Here, you want to fill this area in with the styrene strips.

6) You can now measure (or eyeball it like I always do) and cut a small piece of the square styrene strip/rod to fit into that lip area. Once you have the size you need, cut another of that same size (you'll need it to do the other leg the same way).

7) Now that you have the size you need, apply a few dabs of super glue to the styrene strip and glue in place.

8) Once the styrene has dried, take your hobby knife and very carefully and slowly cut out the area where the screw post needs to go. I cut it with my hobby knife very slowly, piece by piece. But you can use a dremel bit, if you feel comfortable enough with trying that. Personally, I'd suggest the hobby knife and patience......don't wanna drill out too much and you don't want to lose a finger.

9) Now test fit the front of the car and back of the leg to make sure they "snap" back into place and that the screw post fits into the hole it originally went in.

10) If all is well, screw it all back together and test it out. The small strip of styrene helps support the now extended and taller leg, without all the flopping around that some have mentioned. If done correctly and carefully (and if you don't grind out the original notches inside the leg extender/slider), you can still push it down and back to its original look and no one will know you modified it.

Now I took this all a step or 2 further and did the same mod I did on my Tracks by modding the chest/waist sections to slide apart and help make him even taller. I'm now working on a way to cover that mod so the styrene posts aren't visible. I also lifted the arms and cut the small tabs that stopped the arms from folding down just a bit further. Now they fold down more and with the other mods, the overall proportions are better than they were.

Now Wheeljack stands at the same height as RTS Jazz and doesn't look so short or squatty and his proportions are much better.

Attached Files:

2. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Here are some more pics attached that help show the drastic height difference and the better overall look and proportions now.

Attached Files:

3. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    And last, but not least, here are some reference images on Wheeljack. I know the G1 toy was short (and the proportions were pretty bad in the arms), but Wheeljack has been seen in most TF media as being of the same height as Jazz, Prowl and some of the other Autobot "deluxe" sized cars. Once I saw this new toy, I knew he needed the height boost. I know it's not for some, but it is for the this guy.

Attached Files:

4. Blitzsword

Blitzsword Autobot

Thank you very much for posting this! I wasn't too sure on where exactly to place the styrene or putty others had mentioned when extending Wheeljack's legs. This tutorial is really a big help!

5. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

is that a post that extends and retracts inside the crotch? or maybe extends and retract inside the chest. nice. i also just noticed this gives WJ and tracks waist articulation.

6. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    sweet cant wait to try it out.

7. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yay!

Now I just need Wheeljack!

zmog

8. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I would do it but I just don't like the holes below the knees.

9. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i dont know if i can make myself do it to my united wheeljack when it gets here

10. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Anytime, man! Glad you like it and glad I could help.

It's two sizes of round styrene tubing. The larger piece is cut to size and glued into the chest (for this, you'll need to remove the two screw posts and screws in the middle of his back--after the mod, you won't need them). The waist tab is cut out and I glued in a smaller piece of round styrene tubing into the hole. Once it was dry, I slid it into the bottom of the chest (there is enough friction on the styrene tubing that it will fit snug and still move easy). Wheeljack and Tracks already had waist articulation--this just helps keep that articulation while allowing you to extend the height by pulling the chest and legs apart some.

Can't wait to see what you do, bro!

Keep a check on HTS--I picked one up when they put them up on 3/25 and it came in a few days ago.

There are two ways to fix that issue and I'll be doing one of them (or even both, depending on looks and transformation). You can add a small thin piece of sheet styrene to the underside of the hood so it sticks up just a bit to cover the knee holes. Or you can go from behind and simply cover the gap left where the knees used to bend before the leg mods. Now the knees bend higher up and you an add a piece of sheet styrene to cover the opening in the calf area and it should be gold.

I thought the same thing when I got Wheeljack--something I've been after for a while and now I have it......do I cut or leave it alone? lol I said screw it and jumped in headfirst (which is how I usually approach my work--I study the toys, reference art, and ways to build or mod to improve them, then just hit 'em).

More to come on this guy soon, guys. I'll be fixing the gap in the knees, doing a mod like xaviercal did to his on the feet, and maybe modding the arms so they aren't as far out to the sides as they are now.

11. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    hey Brian, this looks awesome. I might try this when I get a second Wheeljack. Thanks for the tuts! :thumb 

12. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

nicely done.

13. combatron6969

combatron6969 Well-Known Member

very detailed instruction bro, i never tried to customize my collection before, but maybe this will be the 1st time. i just hope i can do it right

14. kingnothing80

kingnothing80 Well-Known Member

Holy crap in a hat! I've been looking for some time to repeat the process on my Wheeljack but to see it actually finished looks incredible! I've seen some others do the fender mods that move them down with the front wheels to look more like the G1 toy and while they look great I'm still on the fence about it. Are you thinking about doing that to yours? Seeing the end result may help me make up my mind.

Did I mention how much I love what you did with the backend of Tracks? That just makes the whole figure come full circle to the original if you ask me.

15. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    I definitely giving this a shot.

BTW, Where did this picture come from ?
    [​IMG]

16. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks, bro! Anytime and I'm looking forward to seeing it if/when you do.

Thanks, man!

Thanks! Most of my WIP threads and tutorials are pretty detailed and laid out to help others. If you hit a snag and need any help, hit me up and I'll be glad to help you with it.

Thanks, bud! Yes, I'm planning to do what xaviercal did with his fender mods (it just looks too good to pass up). I'm hoping to start on that part in the next day or two. Glad you dig the G1 look on Tracks--he just needed that little change to make him stand out.

Can't wait to see what you do with yours, man! That picture is a screencap from Transformers: Victory.

17. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

this is a must do for me when i finally get a wheeljack!

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Totally awesome, man :thumb  Thanks for your contribution :) 

19. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Looking forward to seeing yours also, my friend!

Thanks for posting this tutorial up for others to enjoy, Allen! I have more pics and more mods coming for Wheeljack. Hope you don't mind adding to it! lol

Just snapped more pics of arm mods I did a few minutes ago. I'll detail it out and if you don't mind editing it into the other, I'd appreciate it! (may need to have you change the title once the other mods are completed and shown--that way it reflects all the stuff inside it). Probably won't get to post the new stuff on WJ until later tonight (fighting a cold and my sinuses--and I honestly have no energy to do much else right now). I'm off to rest up. Thanks again, man!

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll be more than glad to resource it. Thanks for your submission and all you contribute here; it's very much appreciated!

Ironically, I got my Wheeljack today from BBTS, and the first thing I though of was you and your thread here :lol