By Generation: Generations Wheeljack: Height and Leg Modifications

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by hXcpunk23, Apr 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    For those interested in extending Wheeljack's height and making him more proportional, this tuts for you! Just follow along and enjoy.

Tools:

Dremel & bit shown in attached image
    Hobby Knife/X-Acto Knife
    Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel (or your preferred choice)
    Evergreen Strip Styrene (square) - .125 x .125 (3.2 x 3.2 mm)
    Jewelers screwdriver set

1) Using a small Phillips head screwdriver, unscrew the two screws holding the back of Wheeljack's leg to the front and remove it.

2) Remove the front of the leg (car hood/feet) from the gray leg extender/slider.

3) Using the Dremel bit shown with RED arrows pointing to it in the attached photo, begin to drill out the channel a bit longer. Use a slow speed so it won't jump around or take any excess plastic out. I use a Dremel Stylus and I used the 3rd setting (1 & 2 weren't cutting well enough or fast enough).

4) Once you've drilled out the channel and extended it near the end, place the front of the leg back into the channel and make sure it fits. The bit shown is not the exact width of that channel, so you'll need to go slow and grind a bit extra on the sides to allow the piece to slide up and down the channel still. Remember, don't go too low at the bottom. You don't want to drill too much and end up ruining the entire piece. Leave a small amount near the bottom to catch the leg when extending in bot mode.

5) Next, take the back of the leg (the small black piece we removed at the beginning) and look at the inside of it. There is a small area (or "lip") that is right under the middle screw hole. Here, you want to fill this area in with the styrene strips.

6) You can now measure (or eyeball it like I always do) and cut a small piece of the square styrene strip/rod to fit into that lip area. Once you have the size you need, cut another of that same size (you'll need it to do the other leg the same way).

7) Now that you have the size you need, apply a few dabs of super glue to the styrene strip and glue in place.

8) Once the styrene has dried, take your hobby knife and very carefully and slowly cut out the area where the screw post needs to go. I cut it with my hobby knife very slowly, piece by piece. However, you can use a Dremel bit, if you feel comfortable enough with trying that. Personally, I'd suggest the hobby knife and patience. Don't drill out too much and you don't want to lose a finger.

9) Now test fit the front of the car and back of the leg to make sure they "snap" back into place and that the screw post fits into the hole it originally went in.

10) If all is well, screw it all back together and test it out. The small strip of styrene helps support the now extended and taller leg, without all the flopping around that some have mentioned. If done correctly and carefully (and if you don't grind out the original notches inside the leg extender/slider), you can still push it down and back to its original look and no one will know you modified it.

Now, I took this all a step or two further and did the same modification I did on my Tracks by modifying the chest/waist sections to slide apart and help make him even taller. I'm now working on a way to cover that mod so the styrene posts aren't visible. I also lifted the arms and cut the small tabs that stopped the arms from folding down just a bit further. Now they fold down more and with the other mods; the overall proportions are better than they were.

Now, Wheeljack stands at the same height as RTS Jazz and doesn't look so short or squatty and his proportions are much better.

More photos are attached that help show the drastic height difference and the better overall look and proportions now.

Last, but not least, here are some reference images on Wheeljack. I know the G1 toy was short (and the proportions were pretty bad in the arms), but Wheeljack has been seen in most TF media as being of the same height as Jazz, Prowl and some of the other Autobot "deluxe" sized cars. Once I saw this new toy, I knew he needed the height boost. I know it's not for some, but it is for the [look of] this guy.

It's two sizes of round styrene tubing. The larger piece is cut to size and glued into the chest (for this, you'll need to remove the two screw posts and screws in the middle of his back - after the modification, you won't need them). The waist tab is cut out and I glued in a smaller piece of round styrene tubing into the hole. Once it was dry, I slid it into the bottom of the chest (there is enough friction on the styrene tubing that it will fit snug and still move easy). Wheeljack and Tracks already had waist articulation; this just helps keep that articulation while allowing you to extend the height by pulling the chest and legs apart some.

There are two ways to fix that issue and I'll be doing one of them (or even both, depending on looks and transformation). You can add a small thin piece of sheet styrene to the underside of the hood so it sticks up just a bit to cover the knee holes. You can [also] go from behind and simply cover the gap left where the knees used to bend before the leg modifications. Now the knees bend higher up. You an add a piece of sheet styrene to cover the opening in the calf area and it should be golden:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]