By Generation: Generations Wheeljack, Floppy Leg Fix

Discussion in 'Tutorials and How Tos' started by shadowfall1976, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

(Some requested height comparison pictures are shown below. ~Superquad7)

If you are like some who have drilled out the slider inside Wheeljack’s legs to make him taller, you may be in need of a way to make him stop flapping around. After much experimentation and looking at many fixes online, I came up with my own fix without using anything from Tracks.

All you need are some plastic parts to glue and shape, as they serve both for function as well as cosmetics. They fill in the emptiness of Wheeljack's legs and will stop the flailing leg syndrome. All you need is some patience and some glue.

No Tracks figures were harmed during this modification!

Also, there is a second part for those who have done the modification where you cut his fenders free and glue them to the feet/car front to fill in the gap on the newly opened side:

[​IMG]

I’ll discuss more about this at the end of this tutorial.

Start by taking his legs apart by removing the two (2) screws. Sand the inside of the black part to promote glue adhesion for all that is about to be done. Take the black part and cut a piece of plastic that will fit inside the gap. This will be there when the leg is slid down sit just below the thigh part. Glue it in:

[​IMG]

Sand the section outside of the plastic where you just glued that piece for another step to come. Cut two (2) similar plastic strips that will glue inside the part to hold the leg firm from side to side motions:

[​IMG]

Cut the strips down and shape them to the leg part:

[​IMG]

Take a thicker piece of plastic. This needs to be wide enough to cover the section where you glued in the strip across inside the leg and tall enough to touch the leg slider when pulled out to your desired height. Cut a section out of it in a square shape to make the piece a squared "U" shape:

[​IMG]

Line it up and glue it on. Also, this is why you sanded the outside earlier. Notice the plastic I glued onto the side to thicken his leg up and to cover the hollowness of the leg. This is to fill it out like Tracks' legs, on an earlier modification I did:

[​IMG]

Then shape it however you like to blend it in:

[​IMG]

Now just paint however you like, and reassemble the leg, I painted mine black. Also, I didn't show it, but you have to glue strips inside the track the leg slider rides in, just above the screw post at the top of the hood section/leg front. This is to further make the slider tight and the leg not flop around. Above the screw post, gluing it flush with the depth of the track will not hinder the slider in anyway – it just makes it tighter. I photographed this to demonstrate since I forgot to photograph that step:

[​IMG]

The cut-off fenders modification/hollowness fix:
    Cut a strip of plastic. Glue it to the tab that the black piece slots into. This is to cover the gap now seen since the fenders have been cut off. Shape it to fit the curve of the cut and to allow the black part to go back on flush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how it looks transformed:

[​IMG]

I only bought two (2) Wheeljacks - one to custom, and one to leave MoSC. BBTS had them for $17.99 where I bought mine in the set of four with Thundercracker, Kup and Scourge.
    I hope this fix helps someone out.

It is still shorter, but now it’s taller than before. I like the height I have it, as it’s a cross between the cartoon and the toy, which is what I was aiming for.

Below are comparison pictures. Wheeljack is now only slightly shorter than Tracks. I did arm modifications arm and a foot modification, which slims him down and makes him also appear taller.

Measurements:

Wheeljack: 5 1/8"
    Tracks: 5 5/16"
    Jazz: 5 9/16"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.