Generations vs United

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Jazz Meister, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

Though I would start a comparison thread for the new Generations and United lines. Would like to find out the differences with paint aps between the Takara Tomy and Hasbro releases. As I haven't decided which way I'm going yet.

So far this is what I got:

United Grapple
    Chrome Hook
    Orange Head
    Yellow Forearms

Generations Grapple
    Orange Hook
    Black Head
    Yellow with Silver Strip Across Forearms

United Blurr
    Blue Chin matching Head
    Silver Waist and Chest

Generations Blurr
    White Chin
    Lightblue Waist
    Darkblue Chest

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Generations for both.

I'm poor. :p 

3. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

United Blurr also has blue plastic in his limbs instead of black like Generations.

4. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I prefer Generations, cheaper, but since recently they've been more 'G1 accurate.' Though I wish silver chrome would return :( 

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I don't, it was completely pointless and sometimes so random.

What I don't understand is Takara's recent trend of dumping every toy in a bucket of varnish.

6. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

I agree. united is nice. but my budget dosnt allow for 30 dollar deluxe figures...

10 bucks is fine for me...

7. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

The differences are very subtle this time around. The only figure that stands out to me as having a significantly different paint scheme is Bumblebee. The US release has black stripes that are missing on the shinier United one...

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    For me, it was Henkei over Classics/Universe almost unanimously. Only exceptions were Prowl, Silverstreak, Grimlock, and Octane/Tankor.

For Generations/United, I'm going mostly Generations. The shiny paint like their doing with Animated causes them not to fit in with the rest of the Henkei/Classics.

9. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Generations Blurr with United Grapple is my path.

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This! there just isn't enough difference between the two justify the extra cost for me.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I think some of the issue at this moment in time is that we've seen quite a lot of the Generations figures in hand through pics, video reviews etc, but nothing yet of United, save for some glossy photoshopped images.

Due to the poor distibution in some places (certainly in the UK!) I would guess that a lot of people are buying up the Generations stuff while they can and asking questions later. If the United figures are only marginally better than the Generations ones - or not at all - then we've all done the right thing. If not, then we can always sell of the Generations and buy United or just have both.

The difference between the two lines isn't as stark as that between Classics/Universe and Henkei was.

I'm perfectly happy with the way the Generations figures look and can't really see how United could dramatically improve on them to justify the extra cost.

12. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, so far most of the images that have been shown for United have actually been Generations stock images. Grapple has some significant differences, so does Straxus and Lugnut. Blurr, not quite so much and Drift even less.

I'm guessing that tracks will have a more G1 flame deco on his hood for United and less bland gray plastic. I'm also guessing that a lot of the official United images will show that there are more differences than some are expecting.

13. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

add me to the club.

I lack the funds to buy the takara versions.

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i raced to pre-order the Takara voyagers, but dumped them as soon as i saw the Generations editions.
    Generations Grapple looks better to me.

if United Lugnut is pretty enough, or i can't stop staring at Wreck-Gar, i might get one of those guys.
    that is still very iffy, though.

15. Grand_Maximus

Grand_Maximus Banned

I'm not a huge fan of the "Grapple" mold so I will bypass him but I have Generations Drift and I am going to buy United Drift and United Blurr - the Blurr because blue is my favorite color and I like the use of it (amount and shade) in the United version but I may grab the Generations version as well cause I like the use of the black on him.

The rest of the Generations/United lineup doesn't excite me so I will bypass them as well and I look forward to what else the lines will bring us.

EDIT: I forgot about Wrek-gar and Wheeljack - they intrigue me but I don't know which version I'll bite on :thumb 

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I've seen the solicitation photos, and it doesn't look like a chrome hook to me, it looks like normal silver paint. Especially since the whole piece isn't silver, just the actual hook.

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    while i want united grapple, i'll stick with generations to save money

United Blurr is an abomination that deserves to be destroyed! the way they painted that head is a crime! it looks like pure refined sh*t

18. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sticking with Generations. If there is a drastic difference in paint app that appeals to me, I might bite.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  19. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    I'm sticking with the Generation line it's more economical for me than the United line. As long as I get what I want it's all good:thumbs2: 

20. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I saw a magazine scan in the news forum with black and gold (?) United WFC Megatron. The image was small though so I'm not 100% sure.

I'll be getting whichever easier for me to get. Sometimes I'd rather import TakTom TFs than waiting for Hasbro versions to turn up at retail.