generations vs reveal shield toy quality

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by microclone, Jun 30, 2011.

1. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of the current and recent 'classic' deluxes from these lines ive found that the generations toys seem to be of overall better general quality. Eg the plastic on wheeljack or scourge has that nice shiny crisp look compared to RTS jazz or perceptor with that rather softer looking more subtly coloured plastic, also the overall feel of the generations toys seems more polished, i find perceptor and esp g2 prime for eg to have a rather cheap feel, theres also something a bit less chiseled about their sculpts, hard to put my finger on it...

anybody else note a difference between the two lines?

2. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    not really, though I'd say the United releases seem better :)  well except for the super shiny paint on certain figs hehe

3. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    No, I thought they were equally good. I was disappointed in some of the decoes in both lines, opted for some of the United versions. But overall, they could have been the same line and I wouldn't have noticed any difference.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I think a more appropriate comparison would be the original Classics to Universe 2.0/Generations/Reveal the Shield. The latter have utilized the soft, rubbery plastic that we've come to know and loathe. The Classics line felt more solid overall in terms of plastic quality. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not saying that 2.0/Gens/RTS are low quality, but there seems to be a difference in the plastic. It just feels thinner, softer, and hollow in some areas.

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd agree in the cases of Terradive and Wreck-Gar, but I think the transformation engineering calls for it.

6. ifightfortheuse

ifightfortheuse Well-Known Member

I actually find the RTS to be slightly better than the current Generations. I think the paint aps and quality of the joints are better. Wreck-Gar and Jazz are great figures, but Tracks and Perceptor are lacking in paint.

However, I am not going to complain much. I love these current figures and just hope they continue the line. They need to show Generations a little more love.

7. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

Just a little off topic maybe? But then again, it's kinda the same. LOL

Up until recently, I hadn't had two of the same figure (one Hasbro, one Takara/Tomy) in my hands to compare. Now that I have, there are some differences. Of course the paint apps stand out more in the Takatomy, which in some cases is good, other cases it's bad, depending on what you like, but overall the Hasbro versions are always missing something (Like tail lights on most cars, LOL). My comparison happened with the two versions of Wreck Gar, United and RTS. I have two RTS Wreck Gars and one United Wreck Gar (soon I'll also have Scrapheap for comparison also). On both my RTS Wreck Gars, right out of the box I might add, there were stress marks on the hands, handlebar joints and shoulders also the pins in the back wheels of both were loose, one axe pin was so loose the blades almost fell of and on the other axe there was damage around the pin, bad paint apps, misaligned parts, casting sprues not trimmed well, I could go on and on. Just seems Hasbro QC has been eaten by Unicron or maybe Starscream is in charge, I don't know.. Now, the Takatomy, Oh, it's nice. I found one casting sprue that hadn't been trimmed close enough, but it was easy to fix (not like some of the Hasbro ones that were trimmed too deep). The paint is nice and there were no stress marks anywhere. NOw, since this is the first time I've been able to do such in depth comparisons side by side, I can't say this is always the case, since I just don't know. The only other time I've had a chance similar to this was with MP Prime and other than the shortened smokestacks, I didn't see any real differences. I've always thought Takara was better quality and I'll continue to think that, until Hasbro blows my mind. I think Takara/Tomy, just puts more care into the manufacturing process in some cases. Just my 2 cents.

8. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I first Discovered Reveal the Shield during Beast Wars toys. First saw them on a Deluxe Cybershark. When I was young I just called them Maximal and Predacon chips (just like in the Beast Wars episode where the Maximals think Rattrap is a traitor and the first appearance of Blackaracnia)

9. Armoredrah

Armoredrah Junkion

:confused:  What? Reveal the Shield is a line, RTS=Reveal the Shield.Beast Wars was LONG before the RTS line. Are you talking about the rubsigns (heat sensitive faction stickers)? Those have been around since 1985, but they were dropped in 1988 and then brought back 1997, then phased out around the time of Transmetals 2, then came back in 2006 in the Classics line. This discussion is about the quality of the RTS toys. I guess my first post in this thread wasn't completely on topic either, so no big deal.:D  I'm fairly sure you're talking about the rubsigns though and those have been around since I was a kid. lol

10. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

both have the same quality afaik.

11. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The two lines are essentially the same from a production standpoint. There were only two lines so Hasbro could get out as many classics figures as they could. The only actual distinction is the rubsigns in one line. I'm fairly certain that when designing Perceptor, they weren't thinking about which one he'd go in.

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    they.....are the same quality......and made in the same factories.....

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

:lolol 

Oh dear.

14. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

For me Generations has been steadily worse.

They have had many qc problems (typical stuff loose/floppy joints)

Here is a list of failures out of the box.

Generations: Darkmount, Drift, Optimus Prime, Scourge, Soundwave

RTS: Tracks

PCC: Grimstone/Dinobots

15. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

you're probably off topic and babbling, but at least parse your sentences into paragraphs.

16. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I always thought the paint in RTS was less superior to that in Generations, but the plastic quality was the same. Some RTS stuff feltcheap though, namely Jazz. That seemed to be fixed on United Jazz.

17. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't compare RTS with generations because there aren't any RTS available here... >_<

Well, I did manage to get Jazz, Tracks, and Perceptor from a friend, but that's it. Jazz definitely could use the shiny white that Wheeljack has, and Wheeljack overall feels like a sturdier toy than Tracks. Perceptor feels more like an ROTF toy, in that he is fiddly and a little thinner but very involved, whereas the Generations line seems to have more consistency, like DOTM for the most part.