Minor/Repaint: Generations Tracks - WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by hXcpunk23, Dec 27, 2010.

1. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Inspired by kingnothing80's Tracks mods here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/creative-general-discussion/349328-help-making-rts-tracks-taller.html

I used two sizes of tube styrene (seriously running out and need more) to build an extending waist to allow Tracks to look taller. I saw kingnothing80's version over at TFW just before I picked up Tracks for myself. I knew I had to do this, because I can't stand that short/squatty look that he has (and yes, I plan to do the same to Wheeljack when he hits). I took the torso apart and cut out the two screw posts in the middle/lower part of his back. I grinded out a small area to allow a larger piece of the tube styrene to be glued in and basically help form a channel for the smaller post to slide into.

I took the waist/legs section and cut off the post that allowed the waist to rotate originally. I drilled a hole for the piece of tube styrene to fit into and glued it in place. After allowing that to dry, I cut the tube styrene to the length I needed and test fit it. I found that the arms would hit it just a bit on both sides once they slid inside for transformation. So I cut just a bit off the very ends of the pieces that slide into the middle section inside the chest. This kept them from hitting the tube styrene when it would slide up inside.

This does make the arms look a tiny bit shorter than they were. He still has a humanoid look, but I wanted to give him the option of leaving the arms like they're supposed to be, or having them swing down just a bit more to give it better proportions. I will show pics of this soon--had to charge the digital camera battery (used it to snap some snow pics and vids outside). I basically trimmed the bottom edge of the underarm gray piece that the arms are snapped into. It allows the arms to swing down. Hopefully you get what I'm talking about, but if not, I'll get pics up and show you guys.

I let the glue dry and screwed it all back together and now have a Tracks that is almost the same height as Jazz and looks much better. I also mistransformed the rear of the car to look more like the G1 transformation. I'll snap new pics of that with the missiles attached also soon. I think the only things I'll do with this one are some minor detailing on the bot mode and maybe a light gray/black wash to bring out some details (and replace that rub sticker with a regular reprolabels sticker). I've always replaced those and hidden them in other areas. I dig the colors for the most part in bot and alt mode, but I will be painting the inside of the windshield and side windows to help match and hide the styrene post.

Ok, enough rambling (just wanted to share details if anyone wants to try it on theirs).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Looking very cool. One thing I'm curious about is how you're getting the waist to stay extended in robot mode.

3. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Magic, my friend! All magic! ;)  lol

Seriously, the tube styrene I used fit pretty snug in the existing hole that originally held the waist/legs in. It's one of those tight fits......I just grab the waist and twist left and right while pulling down.

(somehow, that just all sounds wrong) :eek: 

4. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I knew you loved twisting on your Tracks, just remember, if you play with it too much, you'll go blind.

Anyways, the mod looks great man, I doubt I will ever do it unless I get another Tracks, but it looks great none the less.

5. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    You should make a piece to put on there and fill the gap.

6. kingnothing80

kingnothing80 Well-Known Member

That's too funny right there! I probably re-wrote my description of what I'd done 3 times in a failed attempt to make it sound okay.

I love what you've done with the backpack to add that G1 look to it. I still haven't figured out how to get a flap attached at the waist. I wonder if it would be better on the existing part of the upper torso or somehow stuck up under the windshield after painting? I can't wait to see pics with the trimmed shoulder plastic.

7. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Here are a few more shots until I get more work done on him (I also included a shot with Jazz for height reference). Also, not sure if you can tell, but I cut just a tiny amount from the gray arm hinge (under the armpit area) to allow the arms to swivel down just a bit lower. This helps keep the proportions on track without the arms looking too short in their original position.

I'm planning to build or add parts to the bottom of the chest with an area large enough for the waist to slide into. This should help cover the gap and it would be a permanent fixture, as opposed to adding hinges or flaps. There doesn't seem to be much room to add that since the sliding chest mechanism seems to run into or block most of the area. I'll be working on this next, then adding some paint and details to the bot mode (the alt mode colors are good and I won't be changing the main car color).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I love this. And call me crazy but could you build a piece of styrene to go under the windshield area rather than painting all the windows black? Granted you would have to paint that piece blue so it could match

9. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks, man! I'm planning out a couple of pieces or possibly a scratcbbuilt part from styrene that will fit over the hold and allow the waist to still slide inside of it. It would be glued to the bottom of the chest, where the waist originally was. It will serve as a filler for the gap between the waist and chest as you see it now.....if all goes as planned. lol

10. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Planned and completed end up worlds apart for me most of the time can't wait to see it. And you worked wonders on jazz also

11. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Thanks again, my friend! Same here, I plan things out, get started and something usually hits me and keeps me from finishing. Then I get bored with it and go for something new and fresh. I have so many projects I need to finish up--starting with these two and my Galvatron from earlier in the year.

12. rumble619

rumble619 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome mod!!!!!!!! Now I'm gonna have to try this out.

13. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    NICELY done! I love extension joints and it's a pain getting them to work *just* right, but this really helps Tracks look like he's got the correct proportions, I love it!

14. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

Now Tracks is looking good and he is now better in terms of height :) 

15. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    man that dose make a huge improvement. nice job i hat when the tall bots are as short as the small bots should be.