Generations Thundercracker Review (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by FatalT 71, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Finally got mine yesterday from a user here on the boards.

Now, I'm not exactly a huge seeker fan. I got Classics Starscream way back when, and that probably would have been it, until I got the Classics Magnus/Skywarp set, mainly cause I just loved the Classics Optimus mold so much. Since then, there's just been a hole, waiting for Thundercracker to fill. Classics Ramjet came along, and that just opened up the spots for Thrust and Dirge. Honestly, I could have lived with the ROTF Thrust and Dirge as fillers, but I could NOT find a suitable TC filler. I had Titanium TC in there, but... errr... yeah.

This mold has been done to death, with TC being the 5th use of this mold (as far as I know, and only counting US releases), and the 8th of the Seekers... and man, they hit it out of the ballpark. I like that there's very few paint apps in jet mode. The blue is fantastic, and I love the glossy sheen on it... but the few paint apps that are there help break it up just enough.

The Silver for the torso in bot mode is similar to a silver sharpie color, but a little brighter, and (obviously) higher quality. This toy is gorgeous. I guess the designers knew this was an old mold, so if they couldn't make the toy more interesting, they knew they had to make it look REALLY good. Well, it worked.

TC and Thrust are definitely my favorites of the seekers... I guess Skywarp's just too dumb to know he's been replaced on the list. ;) 

I really hope Skywarp gets a wider release for the sake of those who missed out on em. While it was never my goal... having a full set of 6 seekers is a really cool feeling.

2. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Other than a weird rough patch near the bottom of the cockpit torso and having to file down to have it fold easier, he is one of the better seeker molds out atm. No loose guns or floppiness at the very least.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I already own several of the Classics Seeker mould so I wasn't that fussed about picking up another one, but the paint apps won me over. The blue is a fantastic metallic shade that online pictures simply don't do justice to.

4. Xkcer Man

Xkcer Man Autobot

News Credits:
    The wings on mine are pretty wobbly. Does the standard clear nail polish work for this guy? Also, has anyone had any luck loosening up the elbow and knee joints?

5. Xkcer Man

Xkcer Man Autobot

News Credits:
    Has anyone found a good set of null rays that aren't over-sized? I'd like to have some that don't interfere with the wings when the arms come forward.

6. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    So nice to find Thundercracker on the shelf this week. Now I've got all six of the original jets, plus Acid Storm and the cartoon color scheme Starscream, making eight of this mold in all. So where's Sunstorm to make it nine? :D 

7. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    Found him earlier today, along with Wheeljack. This is actually the first time I've bought this mold. Don't hit me! :) 

Anyway, I like him a lot! He is very accurate to his G1 character, and the paint apps on him are gorgeous! The metallic silver is quite vibrant and almost makes him look like a die-cast figure! After buying so many movie toys, it's nice to get a taste of G1 goodness!

8. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I just hope you don't decide you want the other five seekers... then your wallet will hit you. Again and again and again and again... and then it'll shoot you.

9. Altimus Prime

Altimus Prime Shift perceptions

I got a Thundercracker recently too, as I was on a bit of a Generations buying spree -- Warpath, Wheeljack, Kup and Thundercracker.

It's the first of this mold for me too. Probably the best one for me - love the blue color!

I did notice that on the wings on mine, the white stripe is brighter on one wing vs the other. Maybe it got an extra amount of paint, or the other got less. Not a huge deal, but is noticeable. Anyone else have that?

My collection is Autobot heavy, so nice having a 'con - that makes two from Generations, along with Megatron.

10. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Odd, I have all these issues with my Thunderrcracker though except for that wing joint, all others are super tight. And one of my shoulder joints was installed wrong like they used a second left shoulder ring on the right side. I had to do some serious x-acto sculpting to relieve the stress when moving the arm.

BUT, issues aside - I LOVE this little guy. I chalk that up to the newness of the mold (for me as he is my first) and the color scheme - I'm a sucker for blue.

For others though, I suspect these issues are things to consider. For me, I'm now on the hunt for Dirge, lol.

And praying they re-issue Ramjet and Skywarp.

11. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Haha, I've been on a crazy Generations spree myself as well. Grabbed all those but Warpath, and have also paid a bit extra to get Red Alert and Jazz.

12. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I decided to order him, once I have the spare money for it, but i will keep him in package. I hope that they will release Generations Skywarp, then I will get him too and open up Thundercrackers package. If Skywarp gets not released under Generations, I will sell Thundercracker off.

But I really hope that Skywarp will be released. I want the trio, not a duo.

Maybe I get then Kup too.

Damn, I had to do the same with my Starscream... :( 

13. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Get him, open him he rocks and they are almost guaranteed to release Skywarp. And get Kup too, another home run figure IMHO.

And I too had to do the sanding in that spot, actually used the xacto to carve a bit under the nose cone instead. Oh well, figure rocks anyway.

14. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    I finally got this guy today. The paintjob is simply superb. Some mold degradation is appearant though : left wing is wobbly and the canopy parts don't allign perfectly.

Still, I'm very happy with this Thundercracker. He's easily on par with all Henkei Seekers.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout The Immortal Colasour TFW2005 Supporter

So, I got Thundercracker today, and even though I know this mold has been constantly used so much (more than the RID Car bros. ever were used I think), but somehow the quality of each seeker I buy goes UP with each successive version of the same freaking figure I buy. Thundercracker is no exception.

Jet mode is beautiful. The use of metalics on the foward intakes and the Decepticon symbols really compliment the white, red, and blue scheme. The only flaws I can find with my figure are that the wings fell a bit loose on the pegs on which they're mounted, but like Uni. Inferno's head they stay in place despite being a little wobbly when handled and don't droop if the null rays are attached. The rubber nosecone also is a bit looser than normal, but not a big deal for me since I display in robot mode anyway.

Transformation is ridiculously clean. I own four previous versions of this figure (Acid Storm, Uni. 2.0 Starscream, and the Generations Coneheads), but with all of those I usually have some trouble with the folding cockpit. Not Thundercracker, who does not have any problem whatsoever at any point in his transformation.

Robot mode is great. The silver chest really makes the details in the central area just pop (I had to check my other seekers to see if the red squares on Thundercracker were tampos and not painted details), the paint is clean all over the figure, and unlike any other version of the mold I have; EVERY point of articulation on my figure is tight. That might not be saying much considering how outdated the figure is compared to a lot of the more recent TF toys, but having tight joints all over really allows Thundercracker to strike poses I've never been able to achieve with the other Seekers because of a loose hip ball socket or loose knee swivel (or in the case of the coneheads, those really big wings getting in the way of everything).

I'll always like my Universe 2.0 Starscream, but without a doubt my current favorite version of the mold has to be Generations Thundercracker, which is great enough to be on par with more recent figures like Wheeljack or Scourge.

16. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm fairly sure that at some point they decided to make a new set of toolings for this figure (well, not Thundercracker specifically, but the Seeker mold, period). I'd say that they just repaired the existing ones, but Hasbro told us those were about done for at one point, and the issues with figures like the Gentei! Thundercracker and Skywarp show it. We were told that after about five different releases of the mold, IIRC, and we've had a LOT more since (Gentei! Ghost Starscream, Thrust and Dirge, BotCon SG Thundercracker, OTFCC G2 Ramjet, Generations Starscream, Dirge, and Thrust).

17. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got this guy today, and the color scheme is beautiful. However my cockpit/nosecone cannot fold down fully and it really ruins the figure for me. The shoulders cannot stay in place and the torso juts out without being secured it place. I tried sanding the joint inside, but it didn't really work. How disappointing on an otherwise great figure. :( 

18. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The chest frame assembly on mine didn't click in completely flush at first, but after a bit of fiddling and forcing it transforms perfectly now.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Look into the review thread I made for the last Starscream figure. It had the same problems and I made photos of the toy, where I sanded it down, if memory serves correctly.

20. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the replies. I unscrewed the assembly and tried to forcefully push it in. After a few tries, it works now, and will probably loosen with time.