Generations Thrust Affect on Botcon Thrust

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thedrknss48, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Gens Thrust is great news for everyone who doesn't get to attend Botcon for one reason or another, and thereby never had a shot in the first place of owning him. As a non-chromed version of the Gentai release, it's a completely different animal to the other two versions, so whilst having the character released might be misconstrued as a slight, Botcon Thrust is still a unique release.

One I wouldn't pay $200 for on the aftermarket, mind, but still unique. :thumb 

*waits for Henkei Ganbo Thundercracker to get the same treatment, and half the fandom to go truly mental*

2. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

OH man... I better sell my henkei TC and Dirge quick then!

You know, I wish Hasbro would coordinate better with Takara and give fans a heads up!

"Fans, look if you wait an extra 6-8 months, we will release MP Grimlock, Henkei Thrust and probably others"

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Botcon mold is still unique, still exclusive. There will still be people willing to shell out for it, while those who wouldn't shell out for it in the first place can buy this new Thrust.

A general rule of thumb is, buy things because you feel that they're worth it. As in, personal value. Learn to differentiate personal value from monetary value, because there will always be newer versions -- think computers, cars, ipods, tvs, etc. Plus, it's Hasbro's prerogative to produce whatever toys they want; they're a company, not a fan service.

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The monetary value of the Botcon toy will probably go down some as those still in the market for ANY "Classics Thrust" toy now have a much cheaper option. Otherwise, most owners of the Botcon article aren't going to feel particularly put out. They may even be pleased to have a $12 toy available that they don't feel obligated to treat with kid gloves.

5. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    It will take an initial hit, but the Botcon version (IMO) is still a better figure (and atleast very unique). Within a few months, it will regain its value, much like Botcon Thundercracker did soon after the announcement of Henkei T-Cracker (although the QC problems didn't help). If there is a drop in the price, I hope I can pick one up before they go back up, because as much as I like my Henkei Thrust, that Botcon one is just amazing to me.

I am a little conflicted though, I appreciate that they are giving the fans this opportunity, but it is a slap to the fans who shelled out for the Botcon versions. A Thundercracker would be the ultimate kick in the balls. I just hope that they learned their lesson, and don't make mainline characters into convention exclusives. There is enough cool stuff they can do at the convention without angering the masses (ie Shattered Glass Prime, Rodimus).

I don't have the GoD set, and havent really seen the "neaner neaner" folks out there that people bring up in relation to owning the set in all these threads. I am in the hobby for the love of the toys and enjoy seeing people who have amazing collections. Do I wish I had some cooler stuff, sure. But do I begrudge them for having this amazing set, no. It is fantastic to see other people's cool stuff, and what they have the opportunity to buy. Gives me something to work towards. Lets hope you GoD owners don't take too much of a hit, and atleast you still have something that is a unique piece.

6. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    But the toy store doesn't have any exclusives on the mold, and since its not the same paint job and its overseas, probably doesn't apply.

7. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    And, not forgetting to mention, that the mold was changed again from the Botcon version to the Henkei one. This allows Hasbro, to use this Henkei one, without devaluing the Botcon one.

8. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well the original attendee price was $329 and $280 for club members. I cant remember how much the non attendee box set was. And if you look at this ebay auction Botcon Transformer Games of Deception Exclusive Box Set - eBay (item 200439241562 end time Feb-16-10 13:00:32 PST)

its allready going for $300 with 11 bids and 2 days 9 hours to go.
    so honestly i wouldnt be worried.

The original set plus botcon admission was $329 (for non club members) divide that by 5 figs and it comes to $66 each. Also thats actually cheaper than what ive seen the henkei version go for.

9. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally don't think it'll have any affect on the value/price of the Botcon version, which is still a unique piece. There might be some initial difference, but that probably won't last long.

10. Angelwave

News Credits:
    If, "IF", Hasbro were to release Thundercracker, they probably due so by changing the paint apps and hue of his main blue color. Which would end up being as both Starscreams from Classics 1.0 and Universe/Classics 2.0.

11. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wow a second thread on this already, geeez.

anypoop, i have botcon 07 thrust and i dont care. im glad they are doing this because i can get the heneki one without chrome now which i dont care about for a lot less.

i think if they did thunercracker they just better make sure the mold is better because from what i have heard the henkei one is pretty bad!

12. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    The Botcon version is a completely unique mold, not just a color scheme or special accessories, a unique mold.

Besides, if anyone hasn't learned by now that considering rare toys as a monetary investment is silly, then you should ponder this more. ANY toy can get released at any time. Look at all the people who are angry whenever G1 toys get rereleased. Hell, there's people that are pissed because Predaking is getting another resissue after they spent $500+ on...guess what, a reissue. People are using reissues as investments! That's silly.

And this is even more silly. The Botcon version is still a unique mold, which is better than 90% of other Botcon exclusives which just get new paint and occasional heads.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I'll definitely pick this up. Now all it really needs are some Classics Ramjet missiles and the face to be painted dark gray/black, which I plan on doing with mine.

BTW is it just me or does this version have metallic paint?

14. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I personally am glad he is getting a widespread release. I'm not gonna spend 200+ for a plastic toy that could break. I could understand people being upset that they spent 200 for Thrust and now they could get him for 12. But nobody made you spend the 200 bucks for it. If your pissed about it, then maybe you made the purchase for the wrong reasons.

15. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope this doesnt mimic the Powered Commander hysteria where people got uber offended and sold off their sets which are now still worth much more than the standard FP DIA Commander - this thrust is cool as it allows people to pick him up for £12 instead of £50 for the Henkei or £125 - £150 for the Botcon version.

16. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just bought Henkei Thrust last November (along with Dirge), still haven't opened him yet. And while I'm kinda wishing I waited it out, overall I'm glad we're getting Generations Thrust. This means a few things:

-people who don't have Thrust yet will now get a chance to score him at a reasonable price
    -we now have genuine confirmation the G1 love from Classic-verse lives, via "Generations" (kinda knew that before, but for my sanity I needed visual proof)
    -this could possibly lead to the rest of the seekers getting a release. Thundercracker please!!

Yeah, sucks for people who paid a buttload for "exclusives", as demand will surely go down. But that's the collecting game for ya, you take your chances

17. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    i got henkei on its first release, and im happy with it, i got all the henkei ones so its nice to have the chrome

18. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you bought botcon Thrust as an investment, then your market just got a little smaller.

If you bought botcon Thrust for your own personal enjoyment, no effect all.

19. all are dead

all are dead Being a nerd is my game.

News Credits:
    My point exatly. i never would even consider shelling out over 40-50 bucks on that mold so im happy that we are getting thrust. Kinda suprised we havent heard/seen a dirge/thundercracker with him.

~AAD

20. Angelwave

News Credits:
    Don't worry, I'm sure we will hear about them soon enough, as well as Red Alert.