Heavy/Scratch: Generations Superion & the Aerialbots!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Master Blaster, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey folks. So a few months ago I started pulling plans and ideas together for an ambitious first custom project. Inspired by the radicon L_K's amazing MP Superion here, this project would involve the modification and augmentation of four classics seeker figures and Universe 2.0's Silverbolt.

A thread of all my idea gathering from May can be found here. This thread in the customs forum will serve as my conduit for relaying information and images involving the project to you folks.

Starting this weekend gone by, I began constructing the right arm connector for the gestalt form, and modified a universe starscream to be Air raid. The results were good; the connector piece is still under construction (I need to attach the connection block that fits the universe seeker torso cavity in alt mode to the upper arm and shoulder from a 2007 leader Prime), but I believe the modifications to Air Raid are now complete. All that remains in his future is paint stripping and dyeing/painting to his final colour scheme- a step that will come after the gestalt mode is constructed.

Here's some (bad quality) pictures of Air Raid in bot mode. His alt mode is mostly unchanged except by the shortened air dams and the cylinders that form the rotary wing hinges.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the image quality; I don't actually own a camera so I've used my laptop camera for these. I'll sort that for final galleries, but WIP pics might all be like this I'm afraid.

The modifications don't affect stability or transformation, and the rotary wing hinges allow for two different positions in gestalt mode meaning that the original scramble city design of the Aerialbots is maintained.
    You can't really see it in these low quality pictures (I'm hoping the final galleries will showcase it better), but the air dams have been reshaped as well as shortened and are really quite smooth to touch and look at. No hard corners here!

And here's Slingshot as he was a few days ago.

[​IMG]

He's come along since then; both wings are now done and the rear tailfin assembly is under construction. Will put up pictures when it's finished. Planning to attach the assembly to the rear of the jet mode via magnets so it can be moved further up the fuselage in both mode out of the way, and for gestalt mode too so the hands can be attached using the same magnets. All happy with this plan? Seems a bit cheaty, but I'm not sure what else I'm capable of doing. The assembly looks great, really helps make Slingshot look different to Air Raid. The thrusters will still be present unlike so many other aerialbot customs I've seen; imo the jet mode looks a bit odd without them :p 

Think that's everything for now! If you've questions then fire away here, and please, if you can offer assistance or ideas with regards to my problem with the nosecone in gestalt mode then let me know. I need it to fold along the fuselage for that mode but I've not quite the skill with styrene to make it work. So yes, help a bro out! :D 

Updates as I make stuff!

Attached Files:

2. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Small picture-less update! Work's going okay, just waiting on some 3mm x 1mm REMs to arrive. These'll be used to attach the tailfins on Slingshot and Firefight, allowing for them to be removed and relocated further along the fuselage for robot mode.

I've made the decision to scrap the heads as they stand, and will be designing some for Shapeways in a few weeks after my little trip to mainland Europe. Slingshot's black feet have been installed and the booster region sanded down to be more rounded.
    I've decided against modding the nosecone as it'd effect the transformation more than I'd like, so instead I've just trimmed the rubber part down to a more harrier-esque shape.

All that remains for Slingshot is removing and replacing the air dams, which I'll start on tonight. Pictures hopefully later in the week once the REMs have arrived. Then I'll just need to replicate the whole process for Firefight! *oh joy*

Still looking for someone to help cast some parts for me. If you can help or know someone who can, please get in touch.

3. Peagis

Peagis Superion

Ebay:
    watching this to see how it turns out, i've always wanted a superion that looked alot better than what we've gotten so far

4. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Things are going well, but slowly at the moment. I've opted to render replacement parts via shapeways since finding someone to cast repros is apparently impossible, as is finding a junker classics Ramjet. The footplates are already up, and I'll get onto the arms soon.

Minor mods are nearly done, no pictures for now I'm afraid though. Camera's bust. In two weeks I'll be sending the aerialbots off to a pro who's helping me finish the gestalt mode since I just can't suss what's going on with the legs. I've learned just how heavy a gestalt job can be, so I'll probably scale right back once this is done.

5. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Update! It's been a while, but things are moving nicely still. Silverbolt's currently receiving some reworking to integrate parts for the gestalt mode (shoulder connections, knee connections etc) while we wait for the model kits to arrive, then the limb bots will be receiving some remodelling! Stay tuned for updates with (hopefully) pics in the next few weeks!